Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone else hate and I mean hate going to the hairdressers?

(200 Posts)
Madaboutthrows Thu 21-Aug-14 15:45:51

If I could swap consciousness with someone at the dentist/having to get rid of a spider I so would. I loathe the whole experience.

Anyone else?

eurochick Thu 21-Aug-14 15:47:27

Not quite that degree of loathing but I don't enjoy it - the small talk, the combing of my ears (ow), the too hot hairdryer, the general being dicked about with.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 21-Aug-14 15:50:34

My hair is very long.....

I don't like being the focus, I can't do all the small talk and I refuse to pay the prices.

If I want a bit lopped off I have a perfectly good pair of scissors.

WitchWay Thu 21-Aug-14 15:51:27

The "welcome massage" I find a bit pointless hmm

scaevola Thu 21-Aug-14 15:52:21

I hate it!

I think the only good experience was with MIL's mobile hairdresser, but she moved away, and I'm back to suffering a salon a couple of times a year. Current place is however very friendly, and is the least awful I've had for some time.

olivo Thu 21-Aug-14 15:53:21

Me, absolutely hate it, but hate the dentist more!

olivo Thu 21-Aug-14 15:53:37

Well, not the dentist herself, but the visits!

carlywurly Thu 21-Aug-14 15:54:16

I've been in one for nearly 2 hours now and look like a demented metallic hedgehog.hmm

AnnOnymity Thu 21-Aug-14 15:55:00

Yes, loathe it. I put it off for as long as possible. I can do small talk with just about anyone but hairdressers. We have nothing at all in common. I can't hear what they're saying over the loud music. I can't see what they're doing (take glasses off). I start losing the will to live by the end with all the pointless tweaking.

WorraLiberty Thu 21-Aug-14 15:55:56

I hate it too but I'm not sure why

Maybe I feel it's quite an intimate thing, having someone washing/styling my hair? Or maybe it's the awkward silences between "Got any plans for the weekend?" type chit chat.

I don't know confused

Skivvywoman Thu 21-Aug-14 15:58:50

Don't mind going to the hairdressers but hate having my haircut it scares me they cut it too short!

NotCitrus Thu 21-Aug-14 15:59:53

I'm happy with the massage and love having my hair washed, but I don't understand hairdresser speak and no matter what they agree to do, they usually then decide to do something different. One local hairdresser is OK and does a simple wash+cut, then doesn't charge for blow-dry and vaguely dries it anyway. I've found if you pay for blow-dry this means dry to a crisp and stick shedloads of gunk in that takes a week to wash out - yuck!

Unfortunately she won't do children - another place does but I got a new person doing them recently. All fine with dd age 2, until she decided to suddenly blow away hairs from dd's face with a hairdryer and frightened the life out of her - cue hysterics especially as the nozzle fell off and hit her in the face, and ds got upset too.

Also I keep asking for the kids to have a short fringe if any at all, and they keep leaving stupid amounts of hair on, as if they want us to return next week. I was practically in tears as this woman kept telling dd she had finished and I had to keep saying no, it needs to be shorter and I may not be an expert but no way is that a "feathered crop".

Argh. The only point we agreed on was to bring in photos next time so I can say "do that". I went for 15 years without going to a hairdresser once and can't wait until my kids can do their hair themselves.

Germgirl Thu 21-Aug-14 16:00:50

I hate it. I'm rubbish at small talk, I despise having to look at myself in a mirror for hours, I have no neck so leaning back to have my hair washed is a painful chore & I always get water down my neck & in my ears.
I have the worlds tangliest hair and most sensitive scalp. A bad combination. I have cried in the hairdressers more than once because it hurts so much.
I go because my hair is getting very grey and needs colouring, and if I don't have it cut it turns into a birds nest. But I hate every second of it.
I really do believe there is a market for hairdressers who don't talk to you, they would just ask what you wanted done & then just cut your hair rather than wittering on. I cringe when they talk to me, I'm a bit deaf & can never hear what they say & I never know what to say anyway.
And that head massage! I lie there thinking 'I'm meant to be enjoying this' and then, 10 seconds before they stop it starts to feel halfway nice and then they stop!
So yes, I despise it. I'd rather go to the dentist.

DayLillie Thu 21-Aug-14 16:00:52

I have a really nice hairdresser, and I still hate it sad It is always done really nicely, and I want to keep it that way. In the days of Mousse, I used to be desperate to wash it and get it normal again.

No idea why. My kids hate it too.

I wouldn't say I hate going but it's certainly not something I look forward to (apart from the hope I'll have fewer bad hair days afterwards) or enjoy. I only tolerate the faffing about, the vacuous small talk, the fussing with me, the overly vigorous hair washing (and I don't need it shampooed twice FFS), the feeling on show, the feeling I don't belong in the trendy places even though I'm no frump. Recently moved to a new area and have to find a salon I dislike less than most sad Oh, and the prices! Not keen on them either.

Nancy66 Thu 21-Aug-14 16:02:15

I don't like it because I have to be a horrible, prickly bitch in order to get them to do what I want - especially the washing part.

You cannot treat thick, curly hair the same way you would fine, straight hair.

sewingandcakes Thu 21-Aug-14 16:04:35

I hate it too; it's why I have dreadlocks smile

MrsRuffdiamond Thu 21-Aug-14 16:04:43

I have almost had a phobia about going to the hairdressers since I was young. I have been from time to time, but hate every minute. I think it's mainly that I can't bear having to look at myself in the mirror publicly for that length of time. blush

Also, I never like the way hairdressers leave my hair, and always need to go and fiddle about with it myself to get it looking vaguely how I want. So I also had to endure the uncomfortable journey back from the hairdressers feeling really self-conscious about my hair!

Consequently when I was at home and had long, straight hair, my mum used to cut it to the length of the chair back! As an adult, I have mainly used a mobile hairdresser who comes to the house. Much more relaxing! Have never quite understood those who regard a visit to the hairdressers as a treat!

Madaboutthrows Thu 21-Aug-14 16:09:08

I am so glad I am not the only one.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 21-Aug-14 16:12:50

Yes, I haven't been for 20 years. They pull your head back roughly over a sink. Then they don't listen to what you ask for and always cut off more hair than you wanted them to. They insist on talking to you. Then you have to pay.

Germgirl Thu 21-Aug-14 16:13:20

I'd love a mobile hairdresser. Does anyone know of one in SE London?

Deftones Thu 21-Aug-14 16:14:49

hate it too, dreading having my hair professionaly dyed and styled for the first time next week sad

I may take some earphones

BeanoBrown Thu 21-Aug-14 16:40:22

I hate it too, hate the fake chit chat and assumed I was abnormal because everyone I know thinks it a treat. currently sitting here with grown out style wondering if I could do a bit of chopping myself..

scarletoconnor Thu 21-Aug-14 16:43:16

I thought it was just me, everyone goes on about what a treat it is. I actually feel nervous before I go!

'fraid not Germgirl.

Much as I said to myself I wouldn't do it, I'm really tempted to go back to my old town, and hour and 15 minutes drive away, and get my old hairdresser to cut my hair. I used to go in, she'd cut my hair dry whilst we chatted about our dogs, and 20 minutes later she'd finished and I'd pay her £12! She did a good job too, as well as all the expensive trendy places I've tried over the years. It was a no frills salon, but I liked it. Oh to find a similar place here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now