Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Songs that make you feel like welling up or give you goose bumps.

(181 Posts)

Just listening to Steve Wright [yeah I know] , he's just played Roberta Flack's 'The first time ever I saw your face', what gorgeous lyrics and what a voice, I felt quite emotional. blush

Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
The Winner takes it all - Abba
Love me Tender -Elvis
Enjoy the silence -Depeche Mode.
Small Town Boy -Bronski Beat

LadyBaelish Thu 21-Aug-14 15:28:21

Must Try Harder by Frank Turner...makes me think of how I used to feel a lot of the time and always makes me a bit teary eyed!

Mine is Eva Cassidy's Song Bird, we had it at my Mum's funeral as it was her favourite song.

The year later, I was sitting my final beauty therapy exam which involved me giving my head of department a bikini wax (shock) and it came on the radio and then she went and started gently singing it while I was working. The only time in my life I have managed a few silent tears before composing myself and finishing up then quickly disappearing into the supply room for a weep.

Some goes for Led Zepplin Stairway to Heaven and Simon and Garfunkel the Boxer.

VirtualPointyHat Thu 21-Aug-14 15:34:33

Mark Schultz - Walking Her Home

Such a beautiful song

Fairylea Thu 21-Aug-14 15:35:41

Tracy chapman fast car and John Newman out of my head.

Stories of my life... blub blub.

The Hollies- the air that I breathe

CheeseBored Thu 21-Aug-14 15:37:05

Jeff buckleys Hallelujah

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Thu 21-Aug-14 15:39:23

Almost There by Shirley Bassey (Tom Baxter).

CheeseBored Thu 21-Aug-14 15:40:42

And All Flowers in time Bend Towards the Sun by Jeff Buckley and Elizabeth Frasier. Just so so beautiful.

Wishyouwould Thu 21-Aug-14 15:50:24

Run to You - Whitney Houston & Ten Storey Love Song - Stone Roses

EmpressOfBedlam Thu 21-Aug-14 15:51:53

Under the bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers makes me feel all weepy.

Somewhere over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy and Wind Beneath by Wings by Bette Midler - both played at my mother's funeral.

The last time I heard the EC one, I was with my dentist having a filing replaced and I terrified him by grabbing his arm and pointing at the radio, with tears streaming down my face. He thought that he had done something and I couldn't speak because my mouth was full of elastic and that blue mesh they use.

Fix You by Coldplay [shudder]

Everybody Hurts -REM gets me every time.

Also the Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wondetful World mashup by Israel Kamakawiwo.

Agree with previous poster about Jeff Buckley Hallelujah. Very moving.

Had Etta James At Last as our wedding song. Makes me go soppy.

LouisaJF Thu 21-Aug-14 16:07:03

Halo by Beyoncé because we had this at our wedding. Bizarrely enough Rule The World by Take That makes me think of the baby I lost.

BitchPeas Thu 21-Aug-14 16:08:38

First time I ever saw your face, same as you OP.

Fly high by Gary Barlow since I found out what he wrote it about sad

Fix you - Coldplay
Small bump - Ed Sheeran
Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton

vladthedisorganised Thu 21-Aug-14 16:10:27

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
Dream Letter by Tim Buckley
Thousands are Sailing by the Pogues
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Old Friends by Simon and Garfunkel

Turquoisetamborine Thu 21-Aug-14 16:12:06

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
I just love this song, can't remember when I first heard it.
I bet no one knows this one but Darren Styles - Save Me
It sums up the last three years of infertility, that I've been waiting for this baby to make everything alright again. I listened to it on the way home from my failed IVF cycle blood test last time. I have another egg collection tomorrow and I won't listen to it again in case it jinxes me.

Marlinspike Thu 21-Aug-14 16:14:42

I have a few!

Kirsty McColl - thank you for the days. Reminds me of childhood memories, and the journey to adulthood.

George Harridon - while my guitar gently weeps. Lyrics are poignant, and I can't reach the DVD without a little tear!

The Killers - Human. I was watching them sing this on TV as my father was dying in hospital, and the lyrics seemed particularly apt.

REM - everybody hurts. Have to turn the radio off if this comes on !

Turquoisetamborine Thu 21-Aug-14 16:18:16

The slow version of Save Me btw not the ravey version!

shitatusernames Thu 21-Aug-14 16:20:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Played at my nephews funeral.

Sidge Thu 21-Aug-14 16:20:54

ABBA - Slipping through my fingers

Athlete - Wires

Elvis Presley - Can't help falling in love

mariomadmum Thu 21-Aug-14 16:22:38

weirdly let it go from frozen!

Twinklestar2 Thu 21-Aug-14 16:24:27

I wish you all the luck in the world turquoisetamborine. thanksthanksthanks

My songs are also related to trying for a baby. I finally got my son 3 years and 1 day to the day we started trying after a failed IVF attempt. We conceived on our frozen cycle.

So my songs are:

Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles - my husband played this whilst we were going through our first IVF cycle. I hoped and prayed that 'the sun' would come come soon. Our 'long cold lonely winter' had lasted 2 years.

How Long Will I Love You by Ellie Goulding. This came on on the way back from the hospital after we had our 12 week scan. I cried my eyes out. I realised then how much I loved this baby.

I welling up now!! Very emotive songs for me.

KTP Thu 21-Aug-14 16:25:44

Another vote for Everybody Hurts -REM.
Anything by Eva Cassidy as she was played at my dads funeral, but definitely Fields of Gold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now