Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Good post-apocalyptic holiday read

(90 Posts)
BloominNora Wed 20-Aug-14 20:07:36

We're off on holiday tomorrow and I am downloading Kindle books to take with me. So far I have:

Pride and Prejudice (as I love the adaptations but have never read the book)
The Handmaids Tale
The White Princess
The Eelephant Moon
Life After Life

I also want something more modern / post apocalyptic. I've read The Passage and The Twelve and last time we went away I read all three books in the Wool Trilogy. My favourite post apocalyptic story is the Long Walk by Bachman (Steven King) but I'm not a big Steven King fan generally.

So fellow mumsnetters - what should I be downloading?

Boysclothes Wed 20-Aug-14 20:08:11

Have you read the stand by SK?

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 20-Aug-14 20:11:27

Boysclothes beat me to it!

BloominNora Wed 20-Aug-14 20:15:44

No - I saw the adaptation years ago though - is it as wordy as his other stuff? I find he tends to go a bit in depth with his descriptions for me, which is why I prefer his short stories - I love the Bachman Books and also the Apt Pupil collection - esp Shawshank. Although I do think Shawshank is that rare beast where the film is better than the book.

I do tend to struggle with his full novels - the only one I've ever finished is Black House

DoItTooJulia Wed 20-Aug-14 20:20:12

oryx and crake, the year of the flood and Madadam, all Atwood.p
But also watching with interest.

Boysclothes Wed 20-Aug-14 20:20:51

Forget all that guff you've just posted and download The Stand.

You're welcome!

Smicha Wed 20-Aug-14 20:22:27

Another vote for Oryx and Crake, brilliant read.

<lurking> I'm so desperate for books at the moment I'm rereading Harry Potter!
If you don't mind YA the Tomorrow when the war began series is pretty good. Also there is the Divergent series.

GiveMummyTheWhizzer Wed 20-Aug-14 20:38:46

Did you read the prequel ones to the wool trilogy? I think they were called 1st shift, 2nd shift etc.

They were very good too.

Also - try the Divergent trilogy.

Bookaholic Wed 20-Aug-14 20:40:16

Under the Dome, Earth Abides, I Am Legend, The Death of Grass, On The Beach, The Flood (Steven Baxter, may just be Flood)

BeachyKeen Wed 20-Aug-14 20:44:44

I am just finished my tea, and have to get back to work, but I will give you a list later. This is my kind of thing.
Just quick: the last Canadian, the road, the stand, andromeda strain, 1984, one second after, the year of the flood (attwood)

Moulesvinrouge1 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:45:32

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey is good fun.

Moulesvinrouge1 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:47:39

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin as well. And the Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, not P.A. but great sci fi.

LifeHuh Wed 20-Aug-14 20:47:58

My first thought on reading the thread title was to wonder how common a problem choosing a good holiday read would be after the apocalypse...<think my brain needs rebooting>

I like The Carhullen Army- Sarah Hall...

NoBusinessLikeSnowBusiness Wed 20-Aug-14 20:49:52

Second the Atwood trilogy. Also Cormac McCarthy's The Road. If you don't mind YA fiction I also liked the Hunger Games trilogy.

BloominNora Wed 20-Aug-14 20:50:25

Boysclothes grin

I'll have a look at some of these when I've finished avoiding folding the washing.

Bookaholic Love love love I am Legend. I still can't believe it was written in the 1950's - it reads as if it was written yesterday and is still so relevant today - perhaps more than ever.

ClashCityRocker Wed 20-Aug-14 20:53:05

I'm watching too! I'm just in the mood for a good post-apocalyptic read!

OneSkinnyChip Wed 20-Aug-14 20:55:22

Definitely The Stand and The Road. On the Beach is good if you like an older book but it's absolutely heartbreaking at the end. Also Alex Scarrow has two books Last Light and After Light which are modern apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic books respectively. I saw them mentioned on here and enjoyed them.

ohmymimi Wed 20-Aug-14 20:55:38

Another vote here for 'The Stand' and 'I am Legend'. John Wyndham's 'The Day of the Triffids' and 'The Chysalids' are two more of my favourites.

Ihavenoideawhereitis Wed 20-Aug-14 21:04:03

The stand is my favourite book but extremely long, esp if you are not keen on sk.
Also try war of the worlds, really good, and from a different era to many of the books.
I also loved the hunger games, which I didn't expect.
The flood was pretty good, and a fairly quick read.

Hated the road, but many people love it.

I love these sorts of books, so I will be downloading some of the ones recommended on here.

Bookaholic Wed 20-Aug-14 21:04:19

Post apocalyptic is my favourite genre to read - so happy to find that there are lots out there that I've not read yet. (Seconding The Road, I know it's very much a Marmite read but I loved it. That may be the wrong word but ...)

Think I'm going to try This Perfect day. It looks good. Kindle edition comes out in two days time?

Stratter5 Wed 20-Aug-14 21:29:23

The 'After The Fire', by John Lockley, trilogy is excellent

Mandy2003 Wed 20-Aug-14 21:37:11

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is great IMO, the book is much better than the film.

Dwerf Wed 20-Aug-14 21:44:57

'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon
'Flood' by Steven Baxter
'The Stand' by Stephen King

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now