Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Richard Dawkins

(256 Posts)
startwig1982 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:01:05

I don't know if a thread has been started on this but he tweeted this opinion today: https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/502106262088466432
Basically he says it's immoral to bring a baby with Downs into the world. Goes on to say that they have nothing to offer the world.
I know there are lots of atheists on mumsnet but his atheist morals are shocking.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 20-Aug-14 19:05:04

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

I find Richard Dawkins to be an insufferable arsehole who has long stepped outside the remit of the reasons he became well known. Morrissey is similar.

I disagree with Dawkins' stance that it is immoral to bring a child with Downs Syndrome into the world. But I would terminate a pregnancy if the foetus was found to have Down Syndrome. I suppose that makes me a raging hypocrite.

PenisesAreNotPink Wed 20-Aug-14 19:07:56

It's a utilitarian argument. There are some people that consume much more than they output. Many people fall into this bracket at different times (I possibly do at the moment). Obviously people with lifelong disabilities who aren't able to work also fall into this category.

Obviously most people would disagree with the perspective that they should be aborted though.

Dawkins being a giant cock wank badger wouldn't though.

startwig1982 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:08:11

I don't think that makes you a hypocrite. The point of the tests is to give you an option and to think about it. I wouldn't abort but that's my opinion. Him saying it's immoral to bring up a downs child because they have no worth is what's shocking.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 20-Aug-14 19:12:05

I agree.

I sometimes wonder if RD is just trolling on a grand scale, he seems to relish in controversial statements which then garner him more publicity. Not least because he appears to have nothing relevant left to say on the topic of atheism.

Imagine being in a relationship with him/being his child!

hazeyjane Wed 20-Aug-14 19:20:38

Fuck me, that was a depressing link. What a cock.

(cannot be arsed to be more eloquent in my derision)

LabMonkey Wed 20-Aug-14 19:22:52

How do I hide this thread, I'm on the new app.

I haveno time for him most of the time but I had a CVS test this afternoon and I need to hide this thread.

SweetSummerSweetPea Wed 20-Aug-14 19:24:32

He probably does not know anyone with DS. If he did he could not wish them dead.

MehsMum Wed 20-Aug-14 19:24:53

He's motormouth.
I've never been a fan.

MehsMum Wed 20-Aug-14 19:25:34

'a' motormouth.
<in future, check posts before pressing the button>

startwig1982 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:25:39

Oh I'm sorry, didn't think about it upsetting people. Hope your tests come through quickly with good news.

WaxyDaisy Wed 20-Aug-14 19:26:36

Bloody hell.

What a fucking offensive opinion he holds.

HermioneWeasley Wed 20-Aug-14 19:26:43

Agree, he seems to be being deliberately provocative recently and then enjoyed doing a massive sigh at how we're all too stupid/irrational/illogical to understand someone as bright as him.

WaxyDaisy Wed 20-Aug-14 19:27:39

Lab monkey -click the little + button at the top right when in the thread and choose the hide option.

I hope you get the results you want x

hazeyjane Wed 20-Aug-14 19:28:31

yes and all his followers wank on about how he is just misunderstood because those who disagree with him are just ignorant peasants, yadayadayada....

Euphemia Wed 20-Aug-14 19:30:31

He seems to have become an arrogant, provocative arse recently. It's a shame, as DH has met him and said he was absolutely lovely.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Wed 20-Aug-14 19:31:18

I disagree with him wholeheartedly and am an atheist. Atheists don't all follow the same ideas in fact, it is freedom from tied to any dogma that is liberating.

startwig1982 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:31:28

Plus later on he basically says 'if you don't understand, buy my book which will make it all clear'!

thornrose Wed 20-Aug-14 19:32:01

He's a wanker. You have every right to bring it up for discussion but I wish I hadn't read it to be honest!

animalsunited Wed 20-Aug-14 19:32:12

He has also come out with bullshit about rape hmm

startwig1982 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:33:43

Oh yes I'd forgotten about the rape comments. Wasn't that the it's better to be raped by someone you know? Of was it the other way around?

Idontseeanyicegiants Wed 20-Aug-14 19:34:10

I'm not an Atheist by any means but at one point I could really respect some of his opinions, they were always well thought out and well put. wtf happened? That's just being offensive for the sake of getting your name in the news again. Pathetic attention seeking and disgusting.

PiratePanda Wed 20-Aug-14 19:35:45

Oh dear, the Dawk has strayed way, way out of his area of expertise. Again. He really has turned into a tit. Mind you, someone close to me used to work with him back in the day, when he actually did science, and reckons he was an awful tit then too.

CoreyTrevorLahey Wed 20-Aug-14 19:38:59

I find Richard Dawkins to be an insufferable arsehole who has long stepped outside the remit of the reasons he became well known. Morrissey is similar

Hear hear Alis - totally agree on Morrissey. His arseyness is unfortunately beginning to ruin lots of lovely Smiths songs for me.

Dawkins is absolutely an intolerant prick. He has a cheek to harp on about the intolerance of religious people.

CoreyTrevorLahey Wed 20-Aug-14 19:39:10

I find Richard Dawkins to be an insufferable arsehole who has long stepped outside the remit of the reasons he became well known. Morrissey is similar

Hear hear Alis - totally agree on Morrissey. His arseyness is unfortunately beginning to ruin lots of lovely Smiths songs for me.

Dawkins is absolutely an intolerant prick. He has a cheek to harp on about the intolerance of religious people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now