Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So, Taylor Swift's new music video

(5 Posts)
Eauneau Tue 19-Aug-14 21:53:52

Taylor Swift's new music video for Shake It Off has attracted some controversy.

It features Swifty dancing with various dancers and basically being crap at it. The dance genres include ballet, 'expressive arts' style dance and hip hop etc.

It has been said that the video 'perpetuates black stereotypes' and is racist. Some called 'Earl Sweatshirt' (who hasn't actually seen the video) says its 'inherently offensive and ultimately harmful'.

What do people think? I was surprised when I watched the video as considering the controversy surrounding it I thought it would be terrible and cringingly racist, but it isn't as far as I can see - she features lots of different styles of dance and is ultimately taking the piss out of herself.

Am interested in other views (and am also prepared for a big old flaming for starting a thread about a Taylor Swift video!)

corkgirlindublin Tue 19-Aug-14 21:56:06

I watched it today. I thought it was a light hearted video. I couldn't see anything to be offended about. The song isn't her best. Haters gonna hate grin

Nope, I can’t see anything offensive there.

Floralnomad Tue 19-Aug-14 22:10:04

My dd showed me it last night ,not to my taste but harmless . She informed me today of the controversy and I just think some people are just looking to pick holes and cause trouble - you can read something into anything if you try hard enough .

auntpetunia Tue 19-Aug-14 22:37:38

I watched it live with dd last night (twice) I couldn't see anything wrong with it. She is partying about taking the mickey out of herself.

Dd told me today people were slagging it off and saying she was tweeting. Dd who is a massive swifty is furious with anyone who is criticising !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now