Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

help, can i get crutches from anywhere?

(62 Posts)
Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 21:11:44

I've fallen off a kerb and my ankle went right over and cracked. It hurt sad
I did manage to drive the 20 miles home but I cant weight bear on it at all. I'm having to walk around on my knees
There's absolutely no way I can get a&e until Saturday, maybe Fri eve if I am lucky (lucky?)
But I need to be able to get around the house at least. I don't think it is broken the, there isn't much swelling. I think it's most probably a grade 2 sprain.

Wigeon Tue 19-Aug-14 21:17:36

The Red Cross supply crutches (and wheelchairs, and all sorts of other equipment). Google your local branch. It's called 'medical loans' I think. (My mum volunteers for them once a week doing this). It's free, but a .donation is suggested. And if you are in Bedford you can say hello to my mum!

Hope you feel better soon.

Wigeon Tue 19-Aug-14 21:21:06

Ah, the Red Cross service is called 'mobility aids'. If your ankle cracked, might it not actually be broken? Can you see the GP or Out of Hours if not A and E?

BabyGroot Tue 19-Aug-14 21:21:35
Bunbaker Tue 19-Aug-14 21:31:52

If you really think you have broken your ankle please don't wait until the weekend to be seen.

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 21:36:41

I don't know how I can get seen any sooner. I can't physically go out with the children under normal circumstances, let alone when I can't walk. I don't think I could even get out of a taxi tbh, not tonight.

The only reason I don't think it's a break is because there is no swelling at all. I have touched the bone and to touch it's not painful (as such) but when I Wright bear it really is unbearable and I can't
How did you know I was in Bedford? confused

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 19-Aug-14 21:38:26

Why can't you go out with the kids? Can someone come and watch them?

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 21:38:49

Weight bear
Actually it does hurt when I touch it but it's not as bad as if I try and walk on it. I just can't. I only think I could drive home because I was in shock and I felt sick every time I had to use it

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 21:40:46

Because my eldest is severely disabled and my youngest has issues as well, the middle one US a moody teenager.
I have no family support at all.
My husband will be home Friday afternoon, he can't get any more time off as he has just had to have two weeks off and he's still in his probationary period.

Wigeon Tue 19-Aug-14 21:50:07

That sounds really tough. Are you seriously in Bedford? It just happens to be where my mum lives and therefore where she volunteers with the Red Cross. She usually does Tuesdays, but if you ring them (number can be found on Red Cross website), they may be able to advise how to get crutches to you.

Is there really no friend who could watch your children? Surely the moody teenager could be left, so that's just the two others? I am sure most friends in these circumstances would help get you to a doctor.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 21:53:00

My DH smashed his heel bone. There was very little swelling but his foot started to feel burning hot.

If you really really can't get out - keep it elevated as much as possible

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Aug-14 21:54:49

You can order them from Amazon - sign up for a trial of Prime and they'll be there next day

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 21:55:00

My uncle also snapped his achilles tendon and felt fit to drive (but didnt)

Could you hire a babysitting service to pop roumd for a couple of hours?

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 21:56:59

Yes, I'm seriously on the outskirts of Bedford!
I haven't really made any great friends who I could ask, only one and she's in Wales atm
I could ask social services for support but it would take until it went to panel in however many weeks time and they would still say no.
I think I am going to have to sleep on the sofa tonight. I have ordered a Tesco delivery at least for tomorrow, full of rubbish the 12 yr old can cook and an ankle support. I do hope they don't substitute it from something silly

I didn't want to share any of this, but Argos don't deliver very quickly either

Selks Tue 19-Aug-14 22:02:01

Ebay sell crutches, you might find a seller offering 24 hour delivery.

Hope you feel better soon.

spindlyspindler Tue 19-Aug-14 22:02:45

I broke my leg recently and whilst it's not necessarily the same experience I can sympathise with how much pain you're in. Crutches will get you around but you are running the risk of doing yourself a lot of long term damage. If you have broken something, and it sounds as if you might have, you're risking it starting to heal in the wrong position which may not only cause you chronic pain but possibly result in you needing an operation that you wouldn't need if you went in today. You really, really should get it seen to, OP, because not only might you be doing yourself some proper damage, you may actually be creating a situation where your husband ends up having to take longer off work to look after you than he would have done to let you get to A&E.

spindlyspindler Tue 19-Aug-14 22:06:15

PS my cousin broke her foot recently and they just put it in a cast, gave her crutches and sent her home. She wasn't kept in at all.

spindlyspindler Tue 19-Aug-14 22:07:15

PPS if you phone for an ambulance and explain your situation, they may be able to take your children in with you?

Wigeon Tue 19-Aug-14 22:10:16

Agree that if you don't get the ankle seen to now (even if your DH has to take more time off work just so you cam get to A and E, you risk needing him to take much llonger off, if the ankle gets worse. Or him having to come home in an emergency, of the pain gets worst / unbearable. Which would surely be much worse than him coming back fir a short time just so you can get seen / diagnosed. Think you might be thinking too short termist here...

So funny you are actually in/around Bedford! I grew up there...

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 22:10:46

I just can't go. It's not that I am being difficult. He isn't home until Friday afternoon and I really can't take the children out normally, let alone by myself, injured in a taxi. I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm trying not to use it and elevating it and taking paracetamol/codeine and using a nurofen rub

I had a nasty soft tissue injury on the same foot just before Christmas. My rush and need to distract and care seems to be conspiring against me. I seem so accident prone

spindlyspindler Tue 19-Aug-14 22:15:17

Oh, I don't think you are being difficult, OP, I think you're in a really horrible situation sad If you can't get out, rest up as much as you can. I would say call your doctor out but they can't always tell whether or not it's broken either.

Wigeon Tue 19-Aug-14 22:17:45

Have you actually told your DH? Is it possible that if he knew, he'd be able to find a way to come back? I'm sure mine would want to at least know. Or he might have other ideas you / we haven't thought of?

That all sounds awful.
Could a neighbour stay with your kids?
You do know that you need to have this x-rayed, I think.

In the meantime, rest, ice, elevation and compression if you can get an elastic bandage. Yy ibuprofen.

If you cannot weight bear (not just, ouch, I dont like it) it really needs checking out.

Owllady Tue 19-Aug-14 22:22:44

He knows, he just can't take any more time off. I know it's difficult for other people to understand but I became unable to work almost 2 years ago now so we are down to one wage and he changed jobs recently and is on probationary and can't take any more time off.

He most probably will have to though, as you all say. Just to make sure it isn't broken.

Trunchbull Tue 19-Aug-14 22:26:26

Owl lady, we are also on outskirts of Bedford (south of, in villages). We have crutches sitting in garage from previous break. PM me, may be able to drop off tomorrow on way to the North.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now