Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you drive for 14 hoursto get to a "freeish" holiday?

(66 Posts)
Frikadellen Tue 19-Aug-14 18:25:52

We haven't been able to afford a Holiday this year due to many reasons.

I am originally from Denmark and it has been years since we last went back to DK.

My " aunt" (we always called her auntie but she is actually my cousin once removed - my mothers age) Has recently offered me one of her homes when ever I wish it for a week with my children for free.

This has never been an option before (their 2nd home was only purchased a few years ago)

I have holiday from Saturday for one week and I have been looking at the budget and we could squeeze to the Calais/Folkstone euro tunnel then it is a 12 hour drive from Calais to where we would need to be in Denmark.

The Ferry Harwich/Esbjerg is out of question as by the time we have paid for cabin and food it is close to £1000 for the 5 of us.

Minus points
its a LONG drive and I dont care for long drives (fully capable just not my favourite thing to do)
Its a long drive and will be with 16 14 12 and 10 year old.
Dh wont be able to come along
There would be very little in terms of spending money

Plus points
We would feel we have had a holiday
We would get to see my family (I grew up with 7pairs of aunts and uncles aka huge extended family Plus mother/ stepdad my father and sister all live up there)
Holiday home would be about 40 Miles from where my family lives so possible to " take a day out"
I know my aunt is not the type to want a lot for the house a evening with her and her husband would be all she would wish in return. (aka no guilt there)

So what is the mn opinion? crazy idea? or?

Merguez Tue 19-Aug-14 18:27:21

Go for it.

Long car journey with DC not a big issue nowadays when they all have phones etc to keep themselves busy.

treaclesoda Tue 19-Aug-14 18:29:15

I would do it, definitely.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Aug-14 18:30:48

Go for it! Also look at cheap flights though?

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 18:30:56

Yes I think I would, it's not as if you have very young DC to consider on the drive. You get to see your family too and your DC can go back to school with a holiday to talk about.

BOFster Tue 19-Aug-14 18:31:29

Is it in a nice area/holiday destination? What's the weather forecast? How much will fuel cost you? It could cost £500+

I'd be reluctant, I think, being unaccustomed to long drives- I'd need a holiday when I got back!

Morecan Tue 19-Aug-14 18:34:19

Seeing family and having a holiday are both huge, and don't underestimate the value of letting your kids enjoy their heritage. If you can face the journey, go!

SouthByNorthWest Tue 19-Aug-14 18:34:57

Definitely go, surely the fact that the youngest is ten as opposed to five is a huge plus.

Frikadellen Tue 19-Aug-14 18:37:09

It is a nice area yes beautiful nature area. Weather forecast is not great 15-17 C (similar to here really)

it is 900 miles driving so a fair bit of diesel . Not masses though.

Chaby Tue 19-Aug-14 18:39:36

Go!

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 18:40:08

How would you do the journey? Mega early crossing then drive with a few stops or an overnight stop somewhere?

SummerSazz Tue 19-Aug-14 18:40:18

We do a 12hr journey every year for a free (ish) holiday and it's fine. Remember to add toll road costs to diesel though - it does add up.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 19-Aug-14 18:44:20

I'd do it. Get the kids excited about your 'big road trip' and plan lots of word games you can do en route, get them to choose their favourite CDs to play in the car (or whatever people call records these days).

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 18:45:43

It's probably about �450/�500 for the return journey.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 19-Aug-14 18:46:55

Any cheapo ryanair flights available out there?

Frikadellen Tue 19-Aug-14 18:48:39

flights are out of the question as we cant get to travel anywhere after. even if you get cheap flights by the time you have added all the public transport to get anywhere we are spending huge money again.

Eastpoint Tue 19-Aug-14 18:59:21

Can you catch a ferry to somewhere closer so the drive isn't as long? Ferry might cost more but you only have a short period of time & it would maximize your time in Denmark.

Laidbackorlazy Tue 19-Aug-14 19:05:48

We did a 12 hour car journey for a not-free holiday this summer. I hadn't actually counted up in advance how long it would take - but when I counted up after I was surprised, it didn't seem that bad with a couple of breaks (I did all the driving). Electronic devices and some CDs and kids were fine. Plenty of snacks to prevent moaning.
Go for it!

RyanAirVeteran Tue 19-Aug-14 19:08:13

You will be a long time dead.

ikeaismylocal Tue 19-Aug-14 19:12:28

Have you looked at the Harwich-hook of Holland ferry? We did that journey and then drove to Odense in one day with 6 month old ds last summer, the day after we drove Odense-Stockholm. The ferry to the hook of Holland is much cheaper than the ferry directly to Denmark and it takes a chunk of driving away.

The weather here in Sweden is miserable at the moment, if it's similar weather in Denmark and it's a beachy/outdoors type holiday I'd probably not do it but if there is enough wet/cool weather activities or if it's not as crappy weather I'd certainly do it.

HolyQuadrityDrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-Aug-14 19:12:47

hmm ryan

Mrsjayy Tue 19-Aug-14 19:14:11

We drive 10 hours to dorset to go on holiday we have driven to france go for it you can stop etc

Lottiedoubtie Tue 19-Aug-14 19:18:46

Yep I'd do it. A great adventure for the kids, get them excited about the 'road trip' aspect.

JillJ72 Tue 19-Aug-14 19:22:58

Can you hire a car? The alternative is to take the week next year so you can all go? What do your children think?

Olga79 Tue 19-Aug-14 19:23:02

Where in the UK are you, we've taken the Hull - Rotterdam ferry and then driven up to there. For us the ferry was cheaper than the extra fuel we would have needed to drive the extra distance.

Whereabouts in Denmark (nosey smile) ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now