Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My son poked a stick in his eye and you can see that its torn the first layer of his eye. Do I need to do anything?

(25 Posts)
SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 17:19:11

He got over it within 10 minutes, its no longer red and be keeps shouting at me that "ITS FINE MUM!" When I ask to check.

Except I can see that the top layer of his eye ball (between his pupil and coloured bit) has torn a few milimeters.

I know eyes heal incredibly quickly, so do I need to take him to the dr tomorrow or just let it heal?

Stratter5 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:20:22

I'd go to A&E with an eye injury, not worth risking an infection imo

Quangle Tue 19-Aug-14 17:21:19

A&E - I know two people who did something similar and in both cases it became quite serious and needed treatment.

Hedgehog80 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:22:07

Go to minor injuries. When ds1 got a metal coat hanger stuck in his eye they were brilliant and used special drops so they could see the damage and gave him anti b drops

Holdthepage Tue 19-Aug-14 17:23:27

Personally I would be heading to the nearest A&E or eye hospital. Eyes are too important to take a chance on.

somewheresomehow Tue 19-Aug-14 17:23:55

Either minor injuries or an eye hospital if you have one near you, he may need it cleaning and antibiotic drops.

Coumarin Tue 19-Aug-14 17:24:18

<winces>

Good grief, I'd think a GP trip at the very least, most probably A&E as suggested ^. The protective layer is there for a reason. Tearing it risks infection.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 17:24:45

A&E

Yep, off to the walk in centre.

IAMACLANGER Tue 19-Aug-14 17:32:02

Off to A&E now. Please. Cringing here. And as for "when ds1 got a mental coat hanger stuck in his eye".... AHHHHHHHHH. Not sure how I'd react to that. Hope it was OK.

IAMACLANGER Tue 19-Aug-14 17:32:39

Metal... NOT mental coat hanger!

SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 17:34:05

Oooh shit. Ok theres a minor injuries up the road, hope its still open!

SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 17:34:49

Is open till 8pm, luckily its 2 mins away. Will report back, thanks.

LEMmingaround Tue 19-Aug-14 17:36:29

You have to ask??

pilates Tue 19-Aug-14 17:39:24

Please go to A&E asap

Coumarin Tue 19-Aug-14 17:40:51

Effing hell. Anyone else reading this with one eye shut?

Teeb Tue 19-Aug-14 17:42:31

A&e right now. God forbid if it becomes infected

marcopront Tue 19-Aug-14 17:42:37

My DD stuck the end of a plastic hair band in her eye while she had chicken pox. She then wouldn't open her eye, I didn't know if it was the chicken pox or she had hurt it. They had a special area at the out of hours for people with chicken pox. She was fine.

SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 18:53:59

Yes I had to ask LEM. I've cut my eye before and it healed within days. What with not being a medical professional, I figured it could wait until tomorrow morning to ask the GP what they thought.
To be on the safe side, I came to MN to check this was an OK thing to do. I got advice, I followed it and he has cream.

So in all, I did a good thing. No dramas.

Glad I posted, and thanks to all the other people who replied with actual advice. smile

kilmuir Tue 19-Aug-14 18:58:59

Glad it turned out ok

Glad he’s OK. Cream to put on his actual eyeball? That will be fun!

SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 19:05:59

It's ok he seems ok with it going in. I recognise it so it must be the same stuff they prescribe for conjunctivitus. Which makes sense I guess.

Quangle Tue 19-Aug-14 19:10:48

that's a good service if you are back already with cream smile

Hope it heals well.

SackAndCrack Tue 19-Aug-14 19:33:55

We were the only ones there its 2 mins up the road and I drove blush. She put some orange dye in his eye, shone a light which showed up the cut, passed us the cream and sent us on our way. I didnt even have time to finish filling out the forms!

Coumarin Tue 19-Aug-14 20:02:27

<still wincing>

Glad it's all sorted and he's ok. Sounds like a very brave boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now