Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

parking wars

(30 Posts)
elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 17:15:47

I've just had my neighbour shouting at me as my flatmate is parked outside his house. He was really aggressive. There is no designated parking so he has no rights here but he was basically screaming he'd shift it himself if it wasn't moved.
What do I do now?
I own my house so thr last thing I want is rows with neighbours. He rents his. I guess I could call the estate agents as I know which company it is or the police for the screaming and threats but I think with someone like this it would only make things worse but I also don't want to bow down to him. There is plenty room on the street but not necessarily outside your own house but it's a small street so it certainly wouldn't be more than a couple of doors away.

HaroldLloyd Tue 19-Aug-14 17:16:44

I would ignore him for now and see what happened. No way is he going to shift it himself.

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 17:18:40

Should I move her car or is that totally bowing down to a complete bully.

ScarletButterfly Tue 19-Aug-14 17:20:17

I'd call the police and just make a record of it. Primarily in case something happens to the car. If he happens to key it or some such the police will then know whee to go first.

ScarletButterfly Tue 19-Aug-14 17:20:35


Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 17:24:55

Ignore him.

Road tax is paid. The parking space is safe and legal, your flatmate hasn't done anyhting wrong.

HE on the other hand is a wanker, and yes, log the threats with the police.

There's a similar issue outside of my house. I don't give a shit about it but my neighbours (who both have drives) find that the cars belonging to the people opposite, who park outside MY house, annoys them. My neighbours are wankers.

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 17:27:05

I want to sell up in a year or so. Wondering if it's best to ignore as I will gave to declare it if I report to the police.

Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 17:29:04

If you're selling up then ignore it. It's not worth it and there's fuck all he can do about it without breaking the law.

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 17:49:00

My flatmate is refusing to move the car. This is going to end badly.

Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 17:50:59

It'll be fine.

magpiegin Tue 19-Aug-14 17:51:14

If he does anything about it, tries to move your car, issues more threats etc then call the police. Your neighbour is in the wrong.

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 17:52:26

But if I phone the police my house will basically become unsellable because I'd have to declare this neighbour issue. She won't move it though.

Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 17:53:52

If you think he will try something, set your phone on record and keep filming your car.

The police won't be able to a lot if he did decide to damage the car, but if you've got him on film...well.

ohdearitshappeningtome Tue 19-Aug-14 17:56:31

Tell him the carlegally parked and if he does like it then he should kiss your arse!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 19-Aug-14 17:57:57

Just one thought - is this public land, or do you live in a private road? Might make a difference

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 18:01:05

It's a public road. I'm not cut out for dealing with people like this.

Police would be interested as he has been aggressive towards you. They would speak to him about his behaviour. Its not at all acceptable to have this happen to you or your flatmate whose car it is.

BTW if this is a public road anyone can park on it, he was being aggressive towards you for no good reason at all. Such people cannot be readily reasoned with, this is why you need the police to pay him a visit.

Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 18:05:12

Don't answer the door then. If you know it's him and he's going to threaten you and cause you aggro over something perfectly legal, don't open the door.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 18:08:53

Ignore, dont call police.

Your house - tell your friend to move his car or get out.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 19-Aug-14 18:26:36

Knackered - I wouldn't agree with you. If this is a public road, the flatmate has every right to park where he/she is parked, and the neighbour is completely out of order (going by what has been described).

The flatmate appears perfectly legitimately parked and neighbour is behaving in an unacceptably intimidating manner.

HaroldLloyd Tue 19-Aug-14 18:37:38

Be firm, hold your ground.

Or this will carry on.

Badvoc123 Tue 19-Aug-14 18:43:24

Call 111 and log his threats.
Also contact the rental company.
Do not put up with this.

FishWithABicycle Tue 19-Aug-14 19:09:10

I think it is OK to call the police without it jeopardising your eventual sale of the house.

You can't give into this bullying behaviour.

Report any threats, violence or damage to the police.
Report all incidents to the landlord.

Either he will stop this unreasonable behaviour - in which case you will be able to honestly write on your form that there was a minor misunderstanding of parking rights which has now been resolved - or the landlords will get rid of him if he continues being a nuisance, in which case there will be nothing to report as it stems from a previous neighbour.

The kinds of disputes that make houses unsellable is if the neighbour disputes a right of way over their land, or the position of a boundary, and is actively taking steps to prevent the resident of the property you are selling from enjoying their property. This issue isn't a dispute about your property, it's a dispute about his misunderstanding of his rights over a public road (i.e. he has none but does not understand this) so is not relevant to the sale of a house. you can probably find a way to word this on the declaration i.e. "there are no disputes to declare relating to either this property or the neighbouring properties" - this is true if the dispute relates to public land.

hamptoncourt Tue 19-Aug-14 19:12:49

I absolutely would not move the car and it won't affect house sale as fish stated.

I would call police just to be on safe side. Then I would buy an old banger just to leave outside his house and piss him off

HaroldLloyd Tue 19-Aug-14 19:20:42

I would leave the car and suggest your flat mate keep an eye on it.

And if he knocks again tell him your not being threatened and you will call the police.

Otherwise you will have this shit everytime a visitor or anyone else parks there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now