Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Casual Sexism in the pub

(77 Posts)
captainmummy Tue 19-Aug-14 16:09:48

I live near a large airport. Our local pub was named after a well-known racecourse, which was levelled and became the Airport. The pub reflected its background with a sign showing a racehorse and horseshoe. (Relevant only to show that the Pub was never intended to be named after the Airport)
Pub has recently had a refurb, and is now called the 'Airfield', complete with propeller behind the bar, and so-called made-up 'ghost' of an aviator.

And the loos are renamed 'Stewardesses' and shock ..............

'Pilots'.
shock

I emailed the brewery in total discust a few weeks ago, and got an email back saying that they were 'very sorry' they'd caused offence, and they were just trying to inject a 'bit of humour' into the place with the refurb. They said they would be renaming the toilets as they didn't want to cause offence.

I responded by saying I thought it was depressing that a case of casual sexism could be thought of as 'humorous'. No answer.

I went in there on Sunday and the loo doors are still the same.

As I said, I work at the airport, and know several female Pilots, as I'm sure lots of people do in this town - the airport is a big local employer. (I also know lots of male 'stewardesses' who would prefer to use the ladies, as they are so much nicer than the gents anyway!)

WIBU to ask them all out for a drink? See what occurs?

grin

thereturnofshoesy Tue 19-Aug-14 16:12:10

wow

that is something you complained about....

really

Redtartanshoes Tue 19-Aug-14 16:13:09

Disgust

Kablooger Tue 19-Aug-14 16:13:17

meh - its shit but I wouldnt lose sleep over it, they are changing it anyway

JamForTea Tue 19-Aug-14 16:14:17

I personally wouldn't have bothered complaining. I know some people like to challenge this sort of thing but I'm not sure it achieves anything tbh.

captainmummy Tue 19-Aug-14 16:32:21

Red - yes I know it's 'disgust'. It's supposed to be, ya know, light hearted. (Yes I know it's you not ya)
It's a loo door, ffs.

Yes I did complain about it. As I said, I know lots of Female Pilots. They could quite reasonably get confused and walk into the 'Pilots' loo, don't you think? Especially as the loos are one either side of the bar, so not immediately obvious which is which.

Jamforrtea/Kablooger/thereturn - you wouldn't have complained about it? You are quite happy for these cases of casual/everyday sexism to go unchallenged?

They reckon they are changing it, but it's been weeks now and it's still the same.

OhGoveUckYourself Tue 19-Aug-14 16:39:01

I would have challenged it too. Why shouldn't women complain about casual sexism?

NigellasGuest Tue 19-Aug-14 16:41:51

they should call them "stewards" and "stewardesses" - feels better

vestandknickers Tue 19-Aug-14 16:43:07

Ok, it might irritate me for about 10 seconds, but hey ho!

You can't really expect them to change their signs?

Nomama Tue 19-Aug-14 16:44:05

Ah! Round here a cottage hospital was turned into a big family pub... loos marked Doctors and Nurses...

After a few months someone took a big thick black marker to the doors and wrote His and Hers on the doors - His on the Nurse door and Hers on the Doctor door smile

The Brewery took the hint...

Merguez Tue 19-Aug-14 16:44:06

You were right to challenge it.

VanitasVanitatum Tue 19-Aug-14 16:52:28

Surprised how many people are 'meh' about this, very 1950's! I wouldn't like it either OP.

Nomama do you live in WGC?

OP I would have challenged it too. Everyday sexism so ingrained in society that people struggle to see what's wrong with it sad

Nomama Tue 19-Aug-14 17:08:19

WGC???

No idea. We cal it Gloucestershire smile

captainmummy Tue 19-Aug-14 17:08:55

Vest - I certainly can expect them to change the signs! (they are only painted on)

The 'female' version of Pilot - is Pilot! It's not a generically 'male' word.

nigella - I did suggest Stewards and Stewardesses. Why should a woman who has spent years training as a Pilot be degraded like that? (not that Stewardessing is degrading... but the Male version of Stewardess is steward, not Pilot!)

It's not only casual sexism, It's also confusing. It'd be like if you walked into the 'Trades Arms' and found the loos signed as Plasterers and Electricians - neither of which is generically Male or Female.

As I said, the loos are very separate from each other and it's not obvious which is which. I like Nomamas post!

Nomama Tue 19-Aug-14 17:09:19

Oh, Welwyn GC. No. Is there a similar story there?

HolyQuadrityDrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-Aug-14 17:09:46

You were right to challenge.

Littleturkish Tue 19-Aug-14 17:12:02

I'd be pissed off and I'm glad you complained.

captainmummy Tue 19-Aug-14 17:12:05

QBP - I leaned over the bar and said to the ManagerESS that I had a problem with the loos; I know several female Pilots who could quite conceivably use the gents by mistake, I said. She gaped at me for a while, them looked at the gents door, and said 'I never thought of that!'

I was hmm and shock and a bit angry

HaroldLloyd Tue 19-Aug-14 17:12:21

I think it's a bit shit as well.

SqueakyChicken Tue 19-Aug-14 17:14:13

Can't believe some of these responses. You were absolutely right to challenge it. No, in the grand scheme of things it isn't major, but every bit of casual sexism we allow to go unchecked is just another addition to our sexist society. Well done OP.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 19-Aug-14 17:14:38

Yup, if people don't call companies up on casual sexism they won't get the message that it is unacceptable

There's a pub that used to be a cottage hospital. It used to be The Cottage, and is now (I think) the Doctor's Tonic hmm. It was in the film The World's End, along with a load of other WGC and Letchworth pubs. DH and I sat watching it going 'but that's The Fountain!' etc, sad gits that we are grin

You were right, IMO. And the doctors and nurses one is even worse as more medical students are female than male these days...

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 17:23:11

I'm not one for complaining etc, but I think that's really sexist. It's good they will change the names!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now