Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My shopping is creeping up

(25 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 14:29:07

But the money stays the same sad

& I work from a list with 'every week' basics at the top & then replace items as we use them (for eg. fish portions tonight so fishcakes on list for the next week).

£40 used to do it...the past few weeks it's closer to £50 sad

No point really to my post, just a moan.

ghostisonthecanvas Tue 19-Aug-14 14:32:54

Its scary. I found meal planning really keeps the cost down. Have said loads of times, love the MN cookbook, seems to have staple, cheap ingredients but tasty, healthy meals.
Wages don't look set to rise any time soon either sad

HeySoulSister Tue 19-Aug-14 14:35:33

I've found this

I shop every week using asda online . The basics/essentials are getting more expensive too

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 14:37:04

I have a fair few cookbooks, not the MN one though so will have a look at that.

FantaSea Tue 19-Aug-14 14:38:50

Everything is so expensive isn't it? I notice things like cereal are so much more than they used to be. I try to use the freezer more and also buy what we are going to eat rather than having 'just in case' stuff. I have trained my family to like frozen peas - they are great as there is no chopping and no waste and they last for ages. I was finding that I was buying a lot of fresh veg and then quite a bit went to waste. Same with fruit - I try and buy say apples, and when they have gone, buy something else. It really hit home when I was throwing out a punnet of untouched grapes week after week that I really had to stop.

MyCrazyLife Tue 19-Aug-14 14:40:32

I've found this too.

Do you buy anything value/smart price? I get smart price beans, jam, peanut butter, biscuits, tuna, chips, squash, tea bags, apples, pears, spaghetti... Probably more things... I know it doesn't suit everyone though.

Olbas Tue 19-Aug-14 14:45:39

On the news today they said "food prices are down" and I thought to myself... "Not where I live there not"! I'm fortunate as I can bulk buy but god knows how you manage it if you can't. I do serve up smaller portions of meat these days though and bulk the meal out with whatever veg I buy.

crazykat Tue 19-Aug-14 14:46:00

I've found this too and our shopping is ridiculously expensive anyway. Over the past few years our weekly shop has gone up by £60-£80 a week and I've started getting cheaper alternatives or it would be even more.

I've cut out why I can but there's 6 of us to feed for every meal and DH works off site so needs to take drinks and food with him to last 12 hours most days.

crazykat Tue 19-Aug-14 14:47:47

Even toiletries and cleaning supplies have really gone up in price lately but I can't risk changing to basics or cheaper brands due to ds and me having very sensitive skin so once I find something that's okay for both of us I stick with it.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:05:14

MyCrazyLife, most of it is value stuff. Only treats are a 12 pack of value crisps, bottle of value lemonade, pack of value strawberry splits and a pudding for pizza night on Saturday.

I haven't even bought a lot of fruit this week because there's still apples/bananas and grapes left so have put a 90p melon, value punnet of grapes and bag of frozen fruit cocktail in my 'basket' because what's left will be gone before next week's shop.

I don't think I can realistically cut many more corners tbh. I'm dreading having a tenner to pay out on school meals for my oldest as well as shop for food for the week.

(I debated value cereal the other week but a lot of folks said value rice crispy type cereal weren't very nice sad )

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:08:10

Fanta I buy value frozen veg. Have been very lucky lately, FIL has had a good 1st year on his allottment so I have quite a variety from there frozen in my second freezer. Fresh tends to be left until it grows fur, the kids will happily pick from the selection of frozen stuff there is though confused

CakeUpWall Tue 19-Aug-14 15:15:52

Sainsburys Basics range is far nicer than Tesco Value, at an equivalent price. I've got fussy eaters to feed yes, I'm looking at you DH but buy a lot of Basics stuff & it always seems fine.
Eg, apparently DH only likes Kellogg's corn flakes. I gave him a blind taste-test of Kellogg's V Basics. He preferred the Basics. Ha!

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:22:46

Sainsbury's delivery was more, that's the only reason I went with Tesco - afternoon delivery slot that suits me for a quid isn't bad.

The only fussy one here is dd2 but she'll eat a plain variation of what we have so I don't buy extra or cook a second meal for her - just separate bits of it iyswim.

I'll give the value cereal a whirl. Could try Sainsbury's actually - am off to town on Friday for the thrilling experience that is uniform shopping with two kids in tow hmm

rurbane Tue 19-Aug-14 15:25:03

Our local Tesco is stocking less and less of the value range, but doing it gradually in the hope that we won't notice the weekly bill going up.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:32:39

Trouble is with doing that, when you have a fixed (ish) budget & rely on basics stuff, there's no more money even if you don't get what you need for the week.

I think I'm going to have to try a weekly menu rather than my usual use & add to list way of doing things, see if that makes it any easier.

(I'd love to think it's just because the girls are off & handing crisps/lollies out to their mates sometimes & I've bought a few more snacky treaty things than usual...but I don't think that it'll change that much when they go back & I don't add the crisps/lollies and they go back to being for weekends only).

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:36:42

I'm surprised you haven't had 200 posts saying try Aldi.

Try Aldi or Lidl.

magimedi Tue 19-Aug-14 15:38:48

I don't know if you can actually go to the supermarket rather than having an on line delivery, but if you can (& can resist temptation) you can learn when the best time is for marked down stuff & go then. Try not to have a fixed meal in your head for each day, but go for being more flexible & planning according to the bargains you can get.

And do you have a Lidl or Aldi near you? They are certainly cheaper than Tesco or Sainsburys.

And, totally off topic, was it your DC who was saying 'What?' all the time - or am I mis-remembering? What?

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:44:12

grin Magi yep, that was my dd1...she's progressed to grunting "ok" at me now confused

I don't find Lidl cheaper for the things I buy tbh. For eg. we go through 18 fromage frais a week. They're £1.29 for twelve in Lidl or 44p for 6 value ones in Tesco. I do sometimes walk down there though if the freezer's looking particularly healthy & get what I need.

I don't drive though or have regular access to a car so online is easier than shlepping to the shops on the bus & lugging it home again on the bus.

magimedi Tue 19-Aug-14 15:49:46

I'd just grunt right back at her grin

Can see why you do on line shopping.

Would your lot eat porridge for breakfast? Way cheaper than cereal & easy to make in microwave or even in pan on stove top.

I really resent the prices charged for cereals - such a rip off.

BrieAndChilli Tue 19-Aug-14 15:50:32

I did a weeks shopping in lidl this week and it came to £100! I didn't buy anything extravagant

annabanana19 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:56:07

Im starting a meal plan this weekend and its for 4 weeks. Payday on friday so a tesco delivery is coming friday teatime which has what I need for 2 weeks. Then I'll order for another 2 weeks. Dies nit include neat as ill go to iceland for that. But tesco shop is for £80 and gad enough fruit and salad stuff for a week. Ill get more salad stuff as and when and milk/bread too.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 15:57:51

I'll eat porridge for brekky quite happily & often do (with golden syrup...yum!). The girls are not keen, not sure why because both of them used to love the bloody stuff when they were little.

I'd get a hmm look if I grunted back, I usually just wander off & she follows a few minutes later because she didn't actually hear what she was being told or asked.

annabanana19 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:58:36

Ive decided against aldi and lidl even though I know they're cheaper. Cos if I get the basics there id have to go yo tesco to get the nicer stuff do might as well just get a delivery with all I need.

VestaCurry Tue 19-Aug-14 16:02:36

I did a price per 100g check on basics like the loo roll, kitchen roll and washing powder I buy in Tesco vs Aldi. Tesco was cheaper, delivers which I really need so use delivery saver, plus the stuff I'd really like in Aldi eg their version of magnum ice creams I can NEVER get because the freezer is empty. Maybe it's my shopping requirements but Aldi doesn't solve things for me. It's generally acknowledged that food prices have increased and on top of gas & electricity prices, household budgets are v squeezed. We don't live on the breadline by any means but I woke up one day and decided to look at our spending.
If you post eg your weekly shop in the 'credit crunch' section, you might find some helpful suggestion about getting costs down.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 16:06:16

Yes, gas & electric have gone up too. Although I don't think Scottish Power actually want me to pay - been trying for months to get a payment card so I can pay weekly& it hasn't turned up yet.

I might post it in the Credit Crunch section & see if anyone can suggest anything. Maybe I can't see something obvious because I'm the one fretting about it & fresh eyes might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now