Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is there anyone else who doesn't (takes a breath because it is almost heresy to say it) enjoy holidays that much?

(167 Posts)
hmc Tue 19-Aug-14 13:50:58

I find them rather stressy.....

We always seem to have mishaps on holiday (we have previously had cancelled flights x 2, a bit falling off the aircraft and emergency landing, rental car breaking down on a blistering hot mountain road, dh being helicoptered to hospital following an accident etc, etc) and struggle with language, roads, local customs etc. Plus the kids always want me to go in the pool - bah!

I am quite extensively well travelled (appeasing dh), but really would genuinely and wholeheartedly prefer a quiet week in Devon.

On holiday right now and not feeling the love.

Anyone else a bit 'meh' re holidays

strawberryshoes Tue 19-Aug-14 13:56:17

Yes! Can't even be arsed with UK ones to be honest! Pre DCs I loved travelling and saw a lot of the world, now, it feels like I need to pack the whole house for a long weekend, never have enough to entertain DC, find eating out expensive and stressful (2 DC under 4) and generally find it very meh.

Olbas Tue 19-Aug-14 13:56:22

I refuse to go and will happily pay for school trips until they are old enough to pay, plan and pack for they own holiday! Luckily they all hate going away as much as I do

areyoubeingserviced Tue 19-Aug-14 13:58:04

I love holidays and have travelled extensively.
However, this year we decided not to go abroad and it has been a revelation. No hanging around crowded airports or losing things. No spending hundreds of pounds on visiting boring buildings. No constipation. No runny stomachs.
No continental breakfasts. No sunburn. No fatigue
More money in the bank

BitchyVstheUFOs Tue 19-Aug-14 13:59:41

<puts hand up>

ghostisonthecanvas Tue 19-Aug-14 14:05:05

I had a bit of a moment recently when I realised I would rather stay home. We have travelled a lot but it seems to me that, when on holiday, I do want to be home. I just want my own bed, can't be arsed with the noises in astrangeplace. My kids get unsettled which doesn't help. Meh. Maybe I will grow out of it. Tha doubt agam.

hmc Tue 19-Aug-14 14:06:43

Wow, and it thought it would just be me! smile

CrazyPuppy Tue 19-Aug-14 14:07:41

Oh, yeah. This is why we like camping (although appreciate not for everyone) - it's cheap and can be arranged at v short notice, so you can afford lots of little breaks instead of staking a whole year of expectation on your one week away. Also, the relative cheapness means if it's rubbish/weather is bad/someone is ill, you can just come home again - nothing lost.

LaQueenLovesSummer Tue 19-Aug-14 14:10:43

Can't say I'm hugely keen on holidaying with our DDs to be completely truthful. On holiday I like lots of peace and quiet, time alone with my books and lingering in smart cafes and bars... not surprisingly our DDs aren't remotely entertained by any of that.

I also hate being on a beach with sand everywhere, squealing children and the nearest loo is 2 miles away...but our DDs adore the beach. So we're taking them down to the south coast for a week tomorrow for a real bucket and spade holiday - I'm not looking forward to it...

However DH and I have just got back from a fantastic 4 days, staying in a boutique hotel in The Cotswolds with 2 other couples and I loved every minute of it.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 19-Aug-14 14:12:36

I'm very torn about holidays. I find self catering more practical than hotels, but in reality, I'm just swapping life at home for somewhere hotter, more bitey and with crappy kitchen stuff. We're heading away again next month (the joy of pre-school children) and DH and DD are dying for it (DS is still oblivious) and I know I'll feel like I've had a holiday after doing all the airport shit, but really, it's not exactly a break...

Thurlow Tue 19-Aug-14 14:12:41

I'm not a huge fan. I don't mind them when I'm there - we had a nice break in Norfolk, self-catering, this summer - but they aren't something I sit thinking about and planning for.

treaclesoda Tue 19-Aug-14 14:14:22

I love holidays but the thought of taking kids on a plane, with all the hassle it can involve, outweighs the joy of holidays for me. So whilst they are small we are enjoying holidays in places that we can drive to.

JADS Tue 19-Aug-14 14:19:36

Pre dc. Loved holidays, travelled all over the world. Loved flying esp airplane food!

Now, still love holidays but generally a UK sc break. I refuse to cook anything more extensive than pizza though. Take aways and lunches out are the way forward. We also tend to go for Monday Friday breaks rather than a full week. Weekends can be really busy so the drive is more pleasant.

OnlyLovers Tue 19-Aug-14 14:22:02

I'm torn.

I've had holidays I've loved, and I find it refreshing getting away from everyday life. I also suffer from 'big world' syndrome ie there's SO MUCH of a world out there and I feel that I want to see at least some of it.

On the other hand airports can be boring and stressful, flights are uncomfortable, trains can be too; DP and I have a knack of only finding places to stay/eat that aren't all that great (I'm always sitting in some cafe or restaurant on holiday and thinking that I wouldn't give the places a second glance at home, so why am I having dinner/coffee in there just because I'm in whatever country it is?).

I don't speak any other languages and struggle to get by, plus spend the whole time feeling guilty and self-conscious about being so linguistically useless.

I hate places where people hassle you to buy things or go on their tours, but I also have a terror of being somewhere where nothing happens and I'll get bored.

[grinch]

honeysucklejasmine Tue 19-Aug-14 14:45:43

Slightly off topic rant, sorry

This is a common bug-bear for me. DH and I met and married in just over a year. We've been married a short while and are now TTC, for health reasons. A lot of people say "but you're missing out on life as adults, on going on holidays and doing amazing things!"

Well. DH and I are in our late 20s. We've both traveled extensively when we were younger, him doing the western direction and me heading out east. Between us we've climbed glaciers, jumped out of planes, seen the midnight sun, experienced Las Vegas, skiied, sun bathed, toured, explored, visited national parks, seen the grand canyon and ancient temples... the works!

Neither of us particularly wants to have a do-over holiday so the other one can catch up. And neither of us wants to spend thousands of pounds on flights to somewhere we've been before. We are quite content to stay home and enjoy each others company. Neither of us have really explored the UK very much, so we chose to do a staycation honeymoon.

I HATE the beach. We both vehemently dislike being hot and sweaty. We are both very easily bored. We both prefer to have easy holidays, where we understand the language, laws and currency, and don't have to go through the stress of airports, car hire and potentially being ripped off.

If we want to go on holiday, we will go to a nice holiday cottage in Scotland, or camping in Devon, and be done with it. But actually, we've worked hard on our house and making it just so... why would we want to go away?

In summary, holidays? No thankyou!

Dancingqueen17 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:49:32

Me!!! I like the idea of it but really I'm such a creature of habit I enjoy time chilling out at home more. If i do go away I like to know what I'm doing, generally be quite busy but can take an afternoon by the pool as long as I know that's what I'm doing. There's also something about knowing you should be enjoying something that makes it less enjoyable. One other point, I hate applying sun cream and the feeling that I'm caked in the stuff.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 19-Aug-14 14:54:01

I'm currently not speaking to dh. We had a huge row as he wants an impromptu holiday on the last week of school holidays.

We've been away.
The dc have stuff on
I have work
I've spent 5 weeks with the children day in day out. We've had a week away already.

I do not want to spent 4 evenings sat in a hotel room with my children.

Apparently I am a horrible person who hates her children and am completely unreasonable.

I pointed out dh could take the children and I'd stay home and get stuff done. But apparently that doesn't work. hmm

I'm extraordinarily pissed off tbh.

bigkidsdidit Tue 19-Aug-14 14:59:01

Me. J have a 3yo and a 1yo and no way on earth am I taking them away. Stressful airports, and all the trouble of children with no home comforts. Also I live by the beach so why would I bother!

hmc Tue 19-Aug-14 15:01:30

Am nodding my head in emphatic agreement with a lot of this....

honeysucklejasmine Tue 19-Aug-14 15:02:29

HotPinkWeasel, I completely understand! You're not a horrible person, you're a tired, busy person. Completely different! You offered a compromise, it wasn't taken, there's nothing more to be done. Relax, rest, and wait for DH to get over it! smile

Nancy66 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:08:21

I would rather go on holiday very sparingly but have absolute luxury than go all the time to a shithole.

bigkidsdidit Tue 19-Aug-14 15:10:11

I'd rather spend my money all year round on day trips and meals out tbh

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 19-Aug-14 15:19:02

Yup. I'd rather endure a snippy sulky dh than have to pack and unpack then get two children started at new schools 48 hours later.

cafesociety Tue 19-Aug-14 15:25:00

Me too. My family are grown now and I took them away when I could, often suffering financially for it [as a single parent] but usually enjoyed it as it was mostly in the UK so no airport dramas/delays.

I've been to the places I've wanted to with partners....Canada, France, Amsterdam, Majorca, Portugal and Cyprus.....

Now, I'm very happy not to holiday as I can't face the stress, finding out I've not packed the 'right' clothes, not knowing what cafes/restaurants are ok, noises from other selfish holiday makers in hotels/other cottages/other caravans throughout the early hours, having to get up at a certain time for breakfast, negotiating changeable weather, and watching money haemorrhage each day for the privilege.

I don't like very hot weather or sitting for hours in the sun so the UK is the only place I would go...and somewhere easy to get home from should it not be working out. I've been unwell on holiday before, had a couple of rows [humdingers] when away....very unpleasant.

It takes me days to acclimatise to new areas, find out where to park/buy food etc. I find myself counting off the days before I can get home again!

I can see the benefit of having a break, seeing new places, doing new things but a weekend away can give that to me. I am so happy at home, I can relax, I know good places to go, great places to eat, events to go to, I can have peace and quiet with no disruptions. I live near beaches too....

I am really not a holiday person! 4days away is my limit, I would rather do day trips and come home to my bed.

I don't sleep properly in new places, largely due to the children and there is just so much meaningless trailing around unless you have a tight schedule of things to do which is not relaxing!

I have agreed to go camping next year as DD really want s to and I already don't want to go. Ugh.

Then there is the washing when you get back! I am grateful to be heavily pregnant this summer as it has meant I could legitimately bow out of a holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now