Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

2 week old has a cold :(

(15 Posts)
PinkAndBlueBedtimeBears Tue 19-Aug-14 12:42:26

It's crap. He's crying non stop because he can't breathe, he won't feed because he can't feed.. What can I do?

I feel a bit stupid going to the docs for a cold!!

WeDontDoPrincess Tue 19-Aug-14 12:54:13

You need a snot sucker! You can buy them in chemists, supermarkets etc. Also try sitting in a nice steamy bathroom with him before using it to let the steam help unbung him.

DO go to the GP if you're really worried though. 2 weeks is tiny and also too young for the magic that is calpol IIRC.

DD's first cold was awful, I felt so sorry for her. Hope your wee man gets better soon.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 19-Aug-14 12:58:34

Ds caught a cold at 4 weeks old and it's horrible isn't it?

Are you bf? If so hopefully someone will come along with some advice because if I'm totally honest ds' cold was the nail in the coffin for bf for me so I'm no help on that front.

I also did take him to the gp because he was tiny, stuggling to breathe and I had no clue what to do. The GP was lovely and said he would rather see a dozen newborns with colds than one with something worse. One of those snot suckers was good for clearing his nose, raising the cot at one end helped too. Other than that I pretty much just cuddled him, let him sleep on me and told him I know how he feels and he'll feel better soon. smile

Hope your ds feels better soon x

madamginger Tue 19-Aug-14 13:04:39

Saline nasal drops are OK to use from birth. You can get them in any chemist shop

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 13:17:39

Mothercare sell a snot sucker

Tesco sell Snuffle Babe which is mild Vicks for babies. At 2 weeks old she'll be too young for it on her skin, but we rubbed it on the outside of his sleepsuit and also on muslins hung up near his cot. And a spoon in a small bowl of hot water in his bedroom left on the radiator.

You can buy a humidifier, Calpol sell one.

Salt water dripped into her nose MIGHT be ok if she is bunged up, but I would check with a midwife first.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 13:19:29

Wrote that before I saw madam's post - baby saline spray/salt water is really good to stop her being all bunged up (encourages water to the area to drips out the snot). Get some of that with Snuffle Babe.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 13:20:32

And YY to raising the cot or moses basket.

middlings Tue 19-Aug-14 13:20:51

You're not stupid and it is horrid. DD2 was awful with colds at that stage. She basically had one constantly for the first 12 weeks. Do go to the GP. They have a really low tolerance level for seeing them at this age.

I second snot sucker. Also, sitting in a steamy bathroom helps loosen things up.

Just try and keep him and you as calm as possible. Lots of cuddles and skin to skin. That will help regulate his temp and keep him calm when he's struggling.

madamginger Tue 19-Aug-14 13:20:57

Snuffle babe is for 3 months and over

Shahsham Tue 19-Aug-14 13:30:57

Im in France and we use 'serum physiologique' (saline solution I think) from birth. Is brilliant and really clears the nose (tho they cry a lot)

I saw a Dr 3 times before he was 6 weeks old cos he had an awful cold he just couldnt shift. He really struggled with breathing and I was told that they like to keep an eye pn newborns in case it develops into bronchitis.

Advice was to clear the nose with solution 15 minutes before a feed, 3-5 times a day (to avoid irritating the nose) and to feed little and often cos he will struggle to feed with a blocked nose.

tuckingfablet Tue 19-Aug-14 13:38:05

calpol do a saline spray which works better than the drops as it clears the nose quickly. it's suitable from birth too. I second the snuffle babe on muslins and outside of sleepsuit. my dd was 8 days old when she had her first cold. I cried my eyes out because she caught it from me and I was supposed to protect her. I felt like the world's worst mother sad

PickledLily Tue 19-Aug-14 13:42:02

My DD had a cold at 2 weeks, it's miserable for them. Yes yes yes, please take him to the doctor. I rang NHS direct and they booked me in with the out of hours doctor within the hour. He's only tiny and there is a risk it could progress to bronchiolitis, which can be nasty.

We ended up giving her a tiny dose of Calpol (Dr will tell you how much is safe) and she got better. My friends baby ended up in hospital for a few days with bronchiolitis. So best to get it checked.

MrsWinnibago Tue 19-Aug-14 13:48:02

Snot suckers are ace. I remember though asking in Boots once for one and the very young assistant went hmm "We don't sell anything like that" as though I'd asked for used underwear! I never called it a snot sucker to her either!

Another assistant came and showed her them included in a bottle of saline.

Vacillating Tue 19-Aug-14 13:53:23

Reduced feeding and sleepier or really miserable and see docs quickly in case of bronchiolitis. It's miserablesad

306235388 Tue 19-Aug-14 13:57:55

If you're breast feeding a squirt of milk up the nose is good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now