Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I just cried in Sainsburys cafe.....

(30 Posts)
DoItTooJulia Tue 19-Aug-14 11:52:18

Because they forgot my toast!

I'm knackered, my mum is on the brink of a cancer diagnosis and I can't remember the last time someone made me some toast, or in fact anything to eat.

The DCs had eaten, my coffee was finished. I was hungry. When I asked where it was, the server came back over and said that he hadn't taken for it, so he couldn't do it for me. I said it was fine, as we needed to go (which we did) but all of a sudden I felt tears!

What a fool.

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 19-Aug-14 11:55:22

You are not a fool. You need a bar of chocolate, a can of coke and a hug.

Low blood sugar never improves how the world looks.

Thurlow Tue 19-Aug-14 11:55:56

You're not a fool! You've got a huge amount of your plate at the moment and you're stressed. And hungry. I'd cry if I was hungry too.

Grab a chocolate bar to scoff on the way home.

SavoyCabbage Tue 19-Aug-14 11:56:36

I've cried all over the place. So don't worry about it even a teeny tiny bit.

It's just emotions. And there is nothing wrong with that.

CrispEater Tue 19-Aug-14 11:57:21

flowersbrew and 2 slices of toast. Wishing you all the best...

DoItTooJulia Tue 19-Aug-14 11:57:37

I'm on a fast day. My toast would have been my only meal today, so as lovely as the can of coke and a choccy bar sounds, it'll have to wait.

(I'm also overweight and desperately trying to shift it) perhaps I should stay away from the supermarkets/cafes in fast days!

Thanks elephant

DoItTooJulia Tue 19-Aug-14 12:00:01

X posts! Thanks all!

I know, I just thought I would get some toast to fuel me up for the long day ahead. My mum is having a PETCT scan today and I can't go with her as she will be radioactive and needs to stay away from young children. (She lives with us too) so she can't even come home until much later.

NutellaStraightFromTheJar Tue 19-Aug-14 12:01:10

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time OP, so often it can be the smallest things which make everything seem so much more overwhelming. But please don't feel silly, it happens to everyone. I cried in soft play a couple of weeks ago and felt so embarrassed! Buy something yummy and easy to eat, and I hope your day gets brighter.

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 19-Aug-14 12:02:33

I think there maybe situations when diets can wait.

DD1 found she felt dizzy and strange if she missed breakfast in the run up to her GCSEs, normally she'd be fine.

Stress and low blood sugar really don't mix. So I'm sending best wishes to your mum and toast with nam to you.

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 19-Aug-14 12:03:04

Jam

SoDiana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:16:27

If I am starving I cry too. I think my blood sugar drops.

spaghettiarms1 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:38:41

Don't be so hard on yourself OP.
The fasting can surely be tweaked a bit as a one off, no?
Eat something that can help to reset your body, even just a banana would probably make you feel a bit better. Hope your day improves

Nomama Tue 19-Aug-14 12:49:46

Ach. You know that in half an hour or so you will have forgotten it and you body will be in proper fast mode.

I went through my own throat cancer scare on a Down Day. It was horrendous for the first hour or 3, but after that it all went away and I felt the usual increased alertness.

Can I suggest a bag of cherry tomatoes? They are my favourite things to carry round with me on fasting days. A nice sweet hit for about 1 kcal a time.

I hope you manage to get to the end of the day well. xx

DoItTooJulia Tue 19-Aug-14 12:58:55

Thanks. A banana has helped the blood sugar.

I'm ok. It took me by surprise, but I don't know why. I know it's a bit of a shitty time for me/us and I normally do ok, so to find myself in tears over toast in public was a surprise.

SoDiana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:59:42

Genuinely, hunger affects me badly. I was in hospital for pancreatitis a couple of months ago and the treatment is starvation. 3 days in, I knew I was going mad, so much so, that I told the doctors that if they did not allow me to eat, I was discharging myself. They decided to take my blood sugar which was 3! They STILL wouldn't give me food but made me eat 3 gloopy glucose sachets to get my blood sugar level up. 'This drip is providing you with everything you need' - eh - ye - I'll be dead in 24 hours if you don't give me food!

TheReluctantCountess Tue 19-Aug-14 13:01:09

You've got a lot going on. Tears can appear at the most awkward of times so don't worry about it at all.

Rokerwriter Tue 19-Aug-14 13:12:33

Crying is never really funny but this might cheer you up OP. DH was in hospital (nothing too serious) on DS's 20th birthday in June. DS and DD (18) and I went to visit and afterwards went for a birthday meal. As I said, DH was pretty much OK and I wasn't really under a lot of stress or anything, but in the restaurant I just started to think about how we always made a point of all being together on the DC's birthdays and how it was unfair that he couldn't be with us. I welled up and DD, who can't bear anyone else being upset, then started to tear up. Within minutes the two of us were sitting in the middle of Frankie and Benny's in floods of tears with DS beside us, with a "Great Birthday!" look on his face.
I'm sorry you got upset but don't feel bad about it and I hope things improve soon for you and your mum. And like others have said, sometimes it's not time to diet cake

Smilesandpiles Tue 19-Aug-14 13:28:23

Throw the diet out of the window. You have enough to deal with. If your mum does get this diagnosis, you will need every once of strength, mental and physical you can muster for a long time to come...

Please, please, ditch the diet. Some times, things like that just don't bloody matter. This is one of those times.

awfulomission Tue 19-Aug-14 13:51:35

I've cried in the supermarket. And the train station. And dropping the dcs off at school. And even on the phone to the builder ffs.

Parents of the dcs I teach (bexause of the type of teaching job it is) cry on me all the time. It's always because they're having a terrible day and the tears have sneaked up on them.

All the best to you and your mum.

awfulomission Tue 19-Aug-14 13:54:33

And dieting does become hard when you're on the cancer trek with someone you love.

There are a lot of long days of travel, appointments and sometimes late nights waiting for discharge, meds etc...

That said, the feeling of routine and control dieting can give may make you feel better.

misstiredbuthappy Tue 19-Aug-14 14:02:13

Im always emotional when im tired and stressed.

Hope you and your mum are okay op xxx

FantaSea Tue 19-Aug-14 14:05:30

Oh dear you poor thing, you have a lot on your plate at the moment. I agree with the other, ditch the diet and concentrate on keeping your energy for mum.

I have cried in all sorts of places too - in the supermarket, at the school gates and often I have started crying without much warning.

Look after yourself and best wishes to your mum flowers

juliascurr Tue 19-Aug-14 14:08:34

never leave the house without a cereal bar
xxx
oh, and some tissues smile

amyhamster Tue 19-Aug-14 14:10:49

I did the 5:2 diet for six months
Never cried so much in my whole life
Restricting to 500 calories made me weak , emotional & a nightmare to live with !

Showy Tue 19-Aug-14 14:11:22

My mum had surgery for cancer on the same day DD started preschool and- though I didn't know it - I was pregnant. I felt okay, in control, managing. Then I had to make phone call about a beef and onion pie. Just that. A call about a pie. I cried. Big, gulping and hideous sobs.

It's okay to cry over toast and pie when really you're just overwhelmed and you suddenly feel it.

Today is a hard day for you. I'd eat toast with you and hold your hand if I could.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now