Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

There is a copy of Cosmopolitan on an empty desk in our office.

(45 Posts)
PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 11:44:37

It's been there for a while. We all walk past it to get to the kitchen. It has a scantily-clad person on the front of it.

I think it's inappropriate for our relatively conservative workplace. Am I just being a prude or am I right?

I may have turned it over so I didn't have to look at the cover anymore as I am too chicken to throw it away

I'm worried that I am just oversensitive as I have form for being offended by magazines in a previous workplace - although in my defence the magazine was Scarlet and prompted a loud conversation about favourite types of vibrator confused

lizzzyyliveson Tue 19-Aug-14 11:45:37

Can you give us a heads-up on the latest sex tips to impress a man? I could do with a laugh today.

It's only a magazine. If it bothers you can't you put it in a drawer?

babybat Tue 19-Aug-14 11:48:59

Draw a nice frock on the cover model with a marker pen?

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 11:52:07

MrsCosmopolite I could, but I thought that I might just be an overly prudish person and that I should let it be. But it keeps catching my eye! Distracting. like I need help being distracted

lizzzyy I can't tell you that as that would mean I had to stop and actually examine it. I'm a bit too blush for that....

Branleuse Tue 19-Aug-14 11:55:28

i think youre oversensitive

OwlCapone Tue 19-Aug-14 11:56:58

I think you are overly sensitive too.

scarletforya Tue 19-Aug-14 11:57:23

Cosmopolitan ha! Do they still print that?!! That's a blast from the past!

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 11:57:49

branleuse you're probably right.

Do other people tend to have similar types of reading material in their offices, then? Is this usual? I haven't worked in an office for very long so I'm a bit clueless.

TOADfan Tue 19-Aug-14 11:59:38

Wow very overly sensitive. I buy a magazine to read at my desk on my break. Sometimes it can be cosmopolitan if the free gift is good your not in my office are you?!

lizzzyyliveson Tue 19-Aug-14 12:00:34

Oh, I used to read it as a teenager. There again, I did steal Dad's Penthouse from his briefcase for the articles. Very educational, I must say.

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 12:02:12

Probably not TOAD grin

Ok, message received then!

Does the fact that I grew up in a very conservative country with very conservative parents absolve me at all? wink

MozzchopsThirty Tue 19-Aug-14 12:02:33

I think you're massively over sensitive.

The things we discuss in our office would make your eyes water!!!!

Frontier Tue 19-Aug-14 12:02:46

Cosmopolitan is full of nonsense but things must have changed if it's that offensive. I used to read it on the train, in public. Never occurred to me not to.

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 12:13:31

Mozzchops probably!

I'm actually surprised at how uniform the response is - I know a few people who would respond similarly to me.

Maybe we should huddle together for protection grin

NanooCov Tue 19-Aug-14 12:25:58

My desk neighbour at work currently has a copy of Heat on their desk with a close up of Katie Price's overinflated lips. Far more disturbing. You are being overly sensitive. I'd be tempted to purloin it for some lunchtime reading though.

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 12:35:11

For some reason I don't mind mind Heat, Grazia and the like. I tend to associate Cosmo exclusively with sex tips and for that reason find it unsettling to see in the workplace. I acknowledge that I'm unreasonable in that assumption though.

MozzchopsThirty Tue 19-Aug-14 12:36:02

What's wrong with sex tips?

If it's been sitting on an empty desk for a month or more, feel free to bin it.

Mandy2003 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:39:21

Stick Post-its over the offending bits/words!

PlumpPartridge Tue 19-Aug-14 13:21:34

I don't need sex tips in the workplace!!

I think I may make it quietly go away as a result of this thread. I may even make myself read it on the train, as a deliberate self-advancement measure.

306235388 Tue 19-Aug-14 13:54:54

Unbelievably oversensitive IMO.

ImperialBlether Tue 19-Aug-14 14:23:00

I miss the olden days of Cosmopolitan where they used to have proper writers writing articles on things other than how to catch a man. They were a huge champion of Erin Pizzey, who started the first women's refuge. Yes, they did tell you how to have an orgasm, but they also told you how to be independent. Cosmo today bears no relation to the one I used to read. <old gimmer emoticon>

Lj8893 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:44:43

I occasionally read Cosmo, i cant believe any front page model on cosmopolitan could be the offensive or inappropriate. Its usually a celebrity in a pretty (well....) dress.

Mandy2003 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:46:10

Who remembers the nude male pin ups? Last chicken in the shop springs to mind. Burt Reynolds was one of them - my eyes!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now