Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Posh restaurants in Central London (ish)

(62 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:38:30

I'm going to London for my 30th in December. I've been quite a few time and love it.

Because it's a special birthday, I want to go out to a fancy restaurant.

Where would you go? I don't mind location wise, but we will probably stay in Greenwich. I know it's far out but it's a special place for us.

Another vote for Pollen a Street Social. Just fab smile

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Fri 22-Aug-14 07:26:18

ODFOD

SocialMediaAddict Thu 21-Aug-14 20:00:35

Hawksmoor. Best steak I've ever had. Just booked to go back for my birthday in a few weeks.

mum786 Thu 21-Aug-14 19:54:41

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips: The receipts unfortunately won't have your name printed on them. So I suggest try CF and you will like it! Pricey yes, but definitely good and yes, there are better places in town.

teacher54321 Thu 21-Aug-14 08:41:48

Hawksmoor. Just unbelievably brilliant steak and I had the best pudding I've ever had anywhere ever.

babybat Thu 21-Aug-14 08:10:25

Socks boat timetable is here, boats run at 10pm and 11pm, cost about £6 from Embankment to Greenwich. There are a couple of different companies that work on the river, but Thames Clippers are the fast, direct ones.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Thu 21-Aug-14 07:45:12

Bob Bob Ricard is so much fun! That champagne button is lethal (in the morning).

coraltoes Thu 21-Aug-14 07:33:07

La Petite Maison is fantastic
Pollen Street Social
bob Bob Ricard (the tables have a button to summon champagne, what more do you want at a bday dinner!!)
Amaya
Rasoi Vineet Bhatia is delish
The Square
Racine to to Les Trois Garçons if you want v.french
Steak has to be Hawksmoor
The Delaunay had a nice atmosphere and mix a mean Bloody Mary.
Zuma if you want top end Japanese, celebs and the food is genuinely good.

My DH has been to Chiltern Firehouse and enjoyed it, but def rates many other places above it. He eats out A LOT with work. Lucky sod.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Thu 21-Aug-14 07:21:17

As I said, yes, twice. Both times with clients (because that's where they wanted to go) and both times before the inspection.

Shall I send you my receipts to check?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/food/restaurants/article4166922.ece

mum786 Thu 21-Aug-14 05:51:31

daddyorchipsdaddy;
'First you say ''dubious hygiene rating and, frankly, the food ain't all that either'' and then -''shockingly slow and rude service, mediocre, luke warm food and incorrect bills''.
Have you actually ever dined at Chiltern Firehouse? Because if that is how it is by the way you describe it, they would have been shut down a long time ago.

WanttogotoDisney Wed 20-Aug-14 22:34:06

Had lunch at Pollen Street Social today and it was fabulous. One of the best restaurants I have eaten at in ages and a v reasonable set lunch menu.

Halsall Wed 20-Aug-14 21:48:50

We love L'Aventure in St. John's Wood. French, posh-ish, but lovely. The food is great, nice atmosphere, creme brûlée to die for. Not exactly central, I realise, but lovely!

Someone mentioned Nopi up thread, funnily enough I was there last night. It's in Warwick St off Regent St. It's an Ottolenghi outpost. OK but very noisy (long room with wooden floors and tiled walls, so sound bounces around), and the food, though nice, was in v small portions!

BulletLaVolta Wed 20-Aug-14 21:42:12

Andrew Edmond, tiny but food is delicious and I like the atmosphere . I also like the Greenhouse in Mayfair.

Jcee Wed 20-Aug-14 21:34:20

I went to Petrus for my 40th and it was great for a special event - fab food and a sense of occasion!

YouAreAMouseInAMaze Wed 20-Aug-14 21:01:57

I like L'Escargot in Soho, Rowley's in Jermyn St (quite traditional and English but very well done) and Moro in Exmouth Market (not exactly posh, but very popular, amazing Spanish food and atmosphere)

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 20:58:41

Frog - twice. Both times shockingly slow and rude service, mediocre, luke warm food and incorrect bills.

frogmore6 Wed 20-Aug-14 11:08:02

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips: This is the first I'm hearing of Chiltern Firehouse with such negative comments! How many times have you eaten there? I think it is fab.
The slow roasted short rib with hazelnut puree and bone marrow is pure magic on a plate. My favourite canape is crab stuffed donoughts- yummy yummy!!!! I say go to CF- it is ALL that!!!!

TheIronGnome Wed 20-Aug-14 09:28:32

Roast in borough is lovely!

oversomeniagara Wed 20-Aug-14 09:26:24

Hawksmoor is excellent, as is Pollen Street Social and Launceston Place. Both are probably my favourites. However, I had a really bad meal at Pont de la Tour so I would be reluctant to recommend. Butlers Wharf Chop House was ok. If you're in that area, I'd go to the Blue Print Cafe (it's actually a restaurant) in the Design Museum further along the river. The food and views are fantastic. I've never been disappointed. In fact what would be really nice would be for you to get a drink at Aqua Shard then walk along the Thames smile

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 09:20:03

Oh! If you're a fan of French cooking and fancy "an experience" go to Otto's on Gray's Inn Road and have the canard à la presse.

It. Is. Fabulous.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 09:15:13

Don't go to Chiltern Firehouse. It has a very dubious hygiene rating and, frankly, the food ain't all that either.

The restaurants in the Shard are great for WOW factor (i.e. the view) but the food and value for money are not good compared to others mentioned on this thread.

mum786 Tue 19-Aug-14 20:50:57

Chiltern Firehouse- but you need to book early.

amicissimma Tue 19-Aug-14 20:46:13

Money no object? Definitely The Shard: Aquashard or Oblix.

Really 'wow'.

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 19-Aug-14 20:41:58

Oh Coya has lovely good actually.

WanttogotoDisney Tue 19-Aug-14 20:21:10

Pollen Street Social
Coya
Novikov

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now