Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Posh restaurants in Central London (ish)

(62 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:38:30

I'm going to London for my 30th in December. I've been quite a few time and love it.

Because it's a special birthday, I want to go out to a fancy restaurant.

Where would you go? I don't mind location wise, but we will probably stay in Greenwich. I know it's far out but it's a special place for us.

FruVikingessOla Tue 19-Aug-14 17:50:54

Chez Bruce is fab, yes, but is booked up months in advance for dinner.
If you can go at lunchtime, it's much easier to get a booking.

WanttogotoDisney Tue 19-Aug-14 17:53:22

Oblix at the Shard
Sushi Samba in Heron Tower
Roka on Charlotte Street

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 19-Aug-14 18:04:18

Yes, book as far in advance as you can OP!

tonsattingforbjudes Tue 19-Aug-14 18:22:50

Depends what you want to eat really but, for a special occasion I think. I would go for The Langham restaurant, or possibly One Aldwych. My very favourite place is an Indian in Westminster where. Southern Indian food is a speciality. They're all special and priced accordingly.

tonsattingforbjudes Tue 19-Aug-14 18:23:25

Name would help of the Indian...it called Quilon.

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 19-Aug-14 18:27:30

Pollen Street Social - hands down. My last boss used to take me out every month for lunch to try new places for clients and this is truly amazing service and done very inventive and delicious food. It is across from Little Social (or that might be in Poland Street) anywat Jason Atherton owns both. He always raved about Wild Honey but I didn't get there.

The Delaunay I have only had afternoon tea but it was great and The Wolseley is always very very busy and noisy but popular for a reason.

JessyJames Tue 19-Aug-14 18:44:47

The Plateau in Canary Wharf is very nice, lovely setting as well. Also very easy from Greenwich.
Plateau

ThisIsBULLSHIT Tue 19-Aug-14 18:53:43

Ooh if you are in Greenwich get the dlr to Shadwell and walk down to the water front in Wapping and go to Il Bordello. It's so so so so tasty.
my favourite not hugely posh but we used to see loads of famous people in there when we lived there

cruikshank Tue 19-Aug-14 19:00:50

I haven't been there for a couple of years, but my favourite London restaurant was always Odette's. Never had anything but utterly marvellous food there, and the atmosphere is just lovely:

www.odettesprimrosehill.com/the-restaurant/

fragolino Tue 19-Aug-14 19:10:06

The Wolseley is always very very busy and noisy but popular for a reason

yes its central and got good rep.

MrMeaner Tue 19-Aug-14 19:17:13

Story restaurant just South of Tower Bridge - old toilet block.

Youngest Michelin starred chef in UK

Really wonderful

www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/place/36056259-restaurant-story

Tiswineoclocksomewhere Tue 19-Aug-14 19:28:18

It's not a massively posh restaurant but I always recommend www.cosmoba.co.uk just off Southampton Row (easily walking distance from Euston/Kings Cross). It's just a really nice little Italian restaurant with great service and fab food - we have to go to the National Neurology Hospital a lot (which is near Gt Ormond Street) and found it a few years back for lunch. We always end up there now when we have to stay over - never needed to book but we've only been mid week so not sure how it is on weekends.

Probably won't do for your posh night out but it's great for a supper/lunch at some point over the weekend smile

WanttogotoDisney Tue 19-Aug-14 20:21:10

Pollen Street Social
Coya
Novikov

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Tue 19-Aug-14 20:41:58

Oh Coya has lovely good actually.

amicissimma Tue 19-Aug-14 20:46:13

Money no object? Definitely The Shard: Aquashard or Oblix.

Really 'wow'.

mum786 Tue 19-Aug-14 20:50:57

Chiltern Firehouse- but you need to book early.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 09:15:13

Don't go to Chiltern Firehouse. It has a very dubious hygiene rating and, frankly, the food ain't all that either.

The restaurants in the Shard are great for WOW factor (i.e. the view) but the food and value for money are not good compared to others mentioned on this thread.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 09:20:03

Oh! If you're a fan of French cooking and fancy "an experience" go to Otto's on Gray's Inn Road and have the canard à la presse.

It. Is. Fabulous.

oversomeniagara Wed 20-Aug-14 09:26:24

Hawksmoor is excellent, as is Pollen Street Social and Launceston Place. Both are probably my favourites. However, I had a really bad meal at Pont de la Tour so I would be reluctant to recommend. Butlers Wharf Chop House was ok. If you're in that area, I'd go to the Blue Print Cafe (it's actually a restaurant) in the Design Museum further along the river. The food and views are fantastic. I've never been disappointed. In fact what would be really nice would be for you to get a drink at Aqua Shard then walk along the Thames smile

TheIronGnome Wed 20-Aug-14 09:28:32

Roast in borough is lovely!

frogmore6 Wed 20-Aug-14 11:08:02

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips: This is the first I'm hearing of Chiltern Firehouse with such negative comments! How many times have you eaten there? I think it is fab.
The slow roasted short rib with hazelnut puree and bone marrow is pure magic on a plate. My favourite canape is crab stuffed donoughts- yummy yummy!!!! I say go to CF- it is ALL that!!!!

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 20-Aug-14 20:58:41

Frog - twice. Both times shockingly slow and rude service, mediocre, luke warm food and incorrect bills.

YouAreAMouseInAMaze Wed 20-Aug-14 21:01:57

I like L'Escargot in Soho, Rowley's in Jermyn St (quite traditional and English but very well done) and Moro in Exmouth Market (not exactly posh, but very popular, amazing Spanish food and atmosphere)

Jcee Wed 20-Aug-14 21:34:20

I went to Petrus for my 40th and it was great for a special event - fab food and a sense of occasion!

BulletLaVolta Wed 20-Aug-14 21:42:12

Andrew Edmond, tiny but food is delicious and I like the atmosphere . I also like the Greenhouse in Mayfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now