Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Posh restaurants in Central London (ish)

(62 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:38:30

I'm going to London for my 30th in December. I've been quite a few time and love it.

Because it's a special birthday, I want to go out to a fancy restaurant.

Where would you go? I don't mind location wise, but we will probably stay in Greenwich. I know it's far out but it's a special place for us.

hatsybatsy Tue 19-Aug-14 11:48:50

Greenwich has loads of restaurants - a of of them are chains though - the best of those is probably Jamie's Italian or Bianco which is a nice slightly upmarket Italian.

I love Inside - small and cosy but great food. Or the Old naval college has a couple of restaurants - the old brewery is yummy but I can't vouch for the one facing the park.

HTH

hatsybatsy Tue 19-Aug-14 11:49:27

oh sorry -you're just staying in Greenwich and want to eat centrally? what kind of food? what kind of budget?

BeckAndCall Tue 19-Aug-14 11:50:30

In Central London we often go to Zedels ( French brasserie) in Piccadilly - it's art deco and really buzzy

babybat Tue 19-Aug-14 11:51:06

There are some nice restaurants on the South Bank around Tower Bridge - perhaps Butlers Wharf Chophouse or Pont de la Tour? You could even get a boat back to Greenwich, which is really lovely in the evening, looking at the city all lit up.

MissHC Tue 19-Aug-14 11:54:48

I LOVE the Hawksmoor. Best steak in the UK. Although the Air Street one also does great fish. Mention your birthday if you book, and you'll get a free glass of champagne/cocktail or dessert.

Sorry but I really don't rate Jamie's Italian - very, very overpriced IMO.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:56:10

Hatsy probably we will want some ideas for both locations

Not too bothered about cost really.

Thanks for the ideas Beck

Baby I didn't know you could get boats back to Greenwich. What time at night do they stop? It sounds like a fab way to end the night

ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:57:50

Miss really? I went to Jamie's in Canary Wharf and loved it. I did the payroll at the time so I may have had some special treatment smile

Nancy66 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:59:03

it's very easy to get into central London from Greenwich.

The Wolseley and The Delaunay both have 'wow' factor as does Bob Bob Ricard.

J Sheekey is great if you love fish

I went to Little Social recently and really loved it.

Duck and Waffle will give you an amazing view

ElizabethLemon Tue 19-Aug-14 12:00:10

Hoi Polloi at the Ace Hotel in Shoreditch.
No. 10 Greek St in Soho.
Nopi (can't remember exactly where that is).
The Worsley in Piccadilly.

ElizabethLemon Tue 19-Aug-14 12:01:39

Sorry it's The Wolseley not Worsley blush.

Quangle Tue 19-Aug-14 12:04:07

Yes was going to recommend Pont de la tour for the view and ease of access from Greenwich.

MozzchopsThirty Tue 19-Aug-14 12:05:09

Clos Maggiore in covent garden is beautiful!
Food, service and atmosphere

Nancy66 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:08:50

Dean Street Townhouse in Soho is another place I really like. Nice atmosphere, good food and (for London) not stupidly expensive. Good lunch or dinner place

SinglePringle Tue 19-Aug-14 12:10:42

Brassierie Chevot in Picadilly / Mayfair. Beautiful room, superb sevice. Lunch for two (3 courses each, glass of champagne, 2 bottles of wine and coffee) came to £250 so clearly not cheap but we did have pricey wine and the champagne was about £15 a glass (was with a wine buff) so you could bring the cost down.

It's a buzzy room - feels very Parisienne.

Or the Rooftop at The Boundary. Spectacularly beautiful and half covered now in case of rain. But gorgeous fire pit, plants and blankets if it's clear but chilly. Very romantic.

happygirl87 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:31:39

Story at London Bridge, Dinner by Heston Blumental, Duck and Waffle in the Heron Tower, Hawksmoor for steak, Bob Bob Ricard, Chiltern Firehouse/Berners Tavern to be trendy.....

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 19-Aug-14 13:03:19

I disagree about wow factor of the wolsey its boring,

many other places for a special, dorchester grill, shard, check out all the restrauant sites for pics..

Rhubarbgarden Tue 19-Aug-14 13:03:49

Another recommendation for The Wolseley and J Sheekey. Maze is good.

My favourite is The Providores in Marylebone though.

Gilgamesh Camden

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 19-Aug-14 13:10:03

I'd go to Pont de La Tour as someone mentioned. One of my favourites and quite romantic. Greenwich not much good for special restaurants IMO. You could get the Transport for London boat up the Thames from Greenwich to Tower Bridge which might be a bit different than tube or taxi.

almapudden Tue 19-Aug-14 13:12:27

Moro in Clerkenwell is nice, as is Blanchette in Soho (though perhaps not swanky enough).

The American Bar at Zedel is great for cocktails but I don't rate the brasserie - basically a speeded-up Café Rouge.

FruVikingessOla Tue 19-Aug-14 17:25:44

Le Colombier in Chelsea www.le-colombier-restaurant.co.uk/

Medlar in Chelsea www.medlarrestaurant.co.uk/

Maggie Jones's in Kensington www.maggie-jones.co.uk/, or their 'sister' restaurant, La Poule Au Pot, in Pimlico (it's on the same website, as linked)

If you like Chinese food with a difference, Hunan in Pimlico www.hunanlondon.com/

Portal, between Farringdon and the Barbican www.portalrestaurant.com/

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 19-Aug-14 17:41:17

If it's a REALLY special birthday, go to Le Gavroche for the tasting menu.

Any of the Hawksmoors.

The Delaunay is fabulous. As is their new restaurant, Fischers, in Marylebone.

The new Tom's Kitchen at St Katherine's Docks is wonderful (and easy to get to from Greenwich).

Chez Bruce is always a winner!

Five Fields is my current fave.

DO NOT go to Chiltern Firehouse. Eugh.

WalkingThePlank Tue 19-Aug-14 17:47:07

Of course Le Gavroche is very difficult to book. We are anted to go and you van only book 3 months of in advance. Starting ringing when phones opened at 9am. Took 10 minutes to get through and earliest available slot was 9.30. I guess the concierge services get first dibs.

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 19-Aug-14 17:49:22

I've never had a massive problem on booking tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now