Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

why does my neighbour get a daily visit from the police?

(39 Posts)
gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:15:59

Since July.
Police will knock loudly on his door most nights, sometimes after 11 once at 2am. Then they call in again during the day. Most times he doesn't even answer.

I know its non of my business but I'm very nosy curious.

Any ideas?

Olbas Tue 19-Aug-14 11:17:23

No idea ... but now I need to know!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 19-Aug-14 11:17:27

He is maybe tagged and has to be in his flat at certain hours?

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:17:30

*none

Poledra Tue 19-Aug-14 11:20:19

Well, not sure about the not answering bit, but my dad was a Justice of the Peace in Scotland (like a magistrate) and he used to get the polis at the door at all hours. They needed him to sign warrants, and if it was his turn, then it didn't matter what time of night it was. Dad usually answered, mind you

And as for 'knocking loudly at the door', I reckon coppers only know one way to knock on a door - rather firmly grin

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:24:04

Could be a tag thing I suppose. The police always come out to his in a van if that makes a difference.

I see him out during the day but not at nights.

Hes directly opposite me. My living room window looks right at his so I have front row seats.

hotfuzzra Tue 19-Aug-14 11:27:01

One likely option is bail / curfew check. When he does answer, do they just say Hi and walk away again?
Or he could be a witness/suspect/missing person and they're trying to speak to him at a time he would be in the house? Although every day is excessive!

CrapBag Tue 19-Aug-14 11:28:21

Oooo I need to know now. grin

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:29:09

When they knock at nights they do the "open up! Its the police" thing.

I don't mean to be unkind but this man doesn't look like he's a justice of the peace.

Also I know for a fact he tried to.peel a Swede with a pair of scissors! My other nosy neighbour told me.

poguemahon Tue 19-Aug-14 11:32:29

I had an opposite neighbour like this. my bedroom window faced his.

He used to do press ups topless with tatts on show a la cape fear.

Police kept knocking for him.

Turned out he had been let out of prison to appeal his sentence then done a runner.

He had been in prison for raping and murdering OAPs shock shock

littleducks Tue 19-Aug-14 11:32:36

a swede. ... Like a root vegetable
or a swedish person

both sound very odd

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:33:10

When he does answer the police go in for about 2 minutes then leave. That does sound likely hotfuzz. That didn't cross my mind.

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 11:36:15

pog shock that's awful!

Just to confirm.the Swede was a root vegetable!

KeeperOfBees Tue 19-Aug-14 11:36:52

pogue shock

LongFingers Tue 19-Aug-14 11:40:09

What kind of neighbours do you have? One discussing how another prepares their meals, the other preparing meals with the wrong tool.

As for the police thing, I have a neighbour opposite who moved in recently who gets a lot of visits from the police too. I have had the police visit when I have been a victim of crime, it is not always because someone is breaking the law.

Frontier Tue 19-Aug-14 11:40:09

I spend too much time on mn - i was going to say it's an affair

mrssmith79 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:40:26

Could be that he's ringing them himself? Threatening harm to himself etc. Police would be obliged to do a welfare check regardless.

OhGoveUckYourself Tue 19-Aug-14 11:44:36

He could be on a 'doorstep' curfew' if you are in England or Wales.That means instead of being tagged he has to make himself available to Police when they call at the property between certain hours.

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 12:01:07

yes im in England. I hope he's not self harming and I hope he hasn't been a victim of crime too.

My neighbour knew about his veg peeling cos he asked to borrow a knife and he frightened her a bit by asking.

LongFingers Tue 19-Aug-14 12:06:28

That is strange, do people really go around asking neighbours to borrow basics? Most towns have a 24 hour supermarket now a days.

To be asked to borrow a knife from someone who has a police visit daily would scare me too.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 19-Aug-14 12:07:01

Could be a mental health issue, police have powers to section, and he could either be calling 111 and threatening suicide, or calling 999 and doing likewise, from his general demeanour from your posts I'd go with that tbh.

We always had police cars on our drive way, and I even got carried into a&e as a child by a great big suited and booted policeman, but he was my dad, so I don't think that counts grin

gaggiagirl Tue 19-Aug-14 12:27:57

I do live in a small town I wouldn't be surprised if the woman next door knocked to borrow something. It was just a shame he knocked on my elderly neighbour who lives alone asking for a knife he got a bit shirty with her when she said she didn't have one. Of course she does but she was spooked.

I always smile and say hello when I see him but he ignores me.

mum786 Tue 19-Aug-14 21:06:01

Witness Protection!

marne2 Tue 19-Aug-14 21:16:20

I agree with Morethan, sounds like it maybe a mental health issue, have seen it happen before when a person phones the police to say they are going to harm themselves, police come out, check person is ok and then leave ( sadly there's not much they can do but they have to go out to him if he's threatening to harm himself ), either that or he is tagged and breaching his conditions so they are checking he is home after his curfew .

BerylStreep Tue 19-Aug-14 21:22:24

Yes, either bail checks, or self harming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now