Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Mumsnetters, please help my 8wo! Need a leak-proof nappy solution for medical reasons

(33 Posts)
evertonmint Tue 19-Aug-14 11:00:54

My 8wo DS has recently started to wear a Pavlik harness to correct hip dysplasia. He will be in it 24/7 for 9-12 weeks. It is a piece of webbing and padding that has booties, straps lifting his hips up which cross his thighs and then a chest and shoulder bands, like this. He has to wear it 24/7 to hold his hips in the correct position and we are only allowed to change it in an emergency and would then have to go the hospital to get the physio to check it. The physio has categorically stated that poo leaking all over it is not an emergency and I just have to clean and make do in those situations!

The problem is that DS is one of those breastfed babies who only usually goes every 3 days or so (but not predictably 3 days so can't plan for it with reinforcements IYSWIM), so when he poos there is about half his bodyweight in the stuff and it invariably leaks out of the sides, and the harness is in the firing line. He is currently sat in a poo-stained harness after an explosion during the night which went all over his harness and all over the bed. It was not a lot of fun trying to scrub a harness on a wriggling child with a toothbrush at 5.30am while he alternately cooed and screamed at me. As he is DC3, I have learned not to cry in these situations otherwise I would never stop so I tried very hard to laugh but I was wailing inside

I've accepted that he is just going to be somewhat grubby for the next few months, and he is wearing nothing but babygros to hide it (although to be fair, nothing else fits over the bloody thing anyway!) But I don't want to be scrubbing at it all the time especially not in the middle of the night and would rather it doesn't get any more poo on it, so I need your foolproof leak-free nappy suggestions. We were using Bambo size 2 and I moved him up to size 3 which was a bit better, but a heavy overnight nappy could not contain the poonami.

Any suggestions of brands or other tricks to try?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Aug-14 11:02:41

The best nappies for poo containment are reusable ones as they have proper elastic. Perhaps covered with an additional wrap.

JsOtherHalf Tue 19-Aug-14 11:06:46

Would you consider washables?

The other thing that might be worth trying is two nappies on him at a time. Put the first one on him as usual, then put the second one back to front, so it fastens at the back.
You can reuse the second one if it remains clean.

I have also put a waterproof cover over a disposable when DS had diarrhoea and we were on a ferry...
Something like a motherease wrap? It can be wiped clean. www.thenappylady.co.uk/nappy-wraps/motherease-airflow-wraps.html

QOD Tue 19-Aug-14 11:11:15

Can you not put a layer of that white surgical type soft tape or ribbon that you can unwind weekly?
Can he not be bathed then? Poor little sausage

LuckySaint Tue 19-Aug-14 11:13:34

What about your usual size nappy on, then a larger size over the top to hopefully catch any leaks.

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Aug-14 11:17:27

Oh dear! DD had a pavlik from 4 days old to about 6 months, so I know your pain. We just cleaned it a lot with baby wipes, and it was always very grubby when it got changed….

QOD - not, you can't put it in a bath or anything and you can't take it off, so no proper baths!

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 11:21:32

We used disposables with dd2 who was in a pavlik harness for over a year sad . We hid it with babygro's too.

I have nothing to add that's useful, thankfully we never had an explosive nappy while she was in the harness that went over all of her. Just sympathy, it's not a nice experience. Our consultant told us we could remove & replace it to wash it & dd once a week or so though so it might be worth asking about & being shown how to properly put it back on.

ThatLightbulbMoment Tue 19-Aug-14 11:29:43

Not quite the same, but dd2 had a full leg cast from 8wks til about 5m for talipes and reusable nappies were the only way to go. The waterproof wraps kept all the poo in and I think we only had one time where she had poo on the cast. Can also recommend using an adult sock over the top of the cast and tucking/taping it in place to keep the cast clean smile

JsOtherHalf Tue 19-Aug-14 12:00:11
JADS Tue 19-Aug-14 12:14:27

Does he tend to poo at night? Is it predictable at all? You could put on 2 nappies or a disposable with a Terry type nappy over the top then a plastic type wrap over the top like a bumgenius flip cover.

Where are you based? Is there a nappy library near you? You could try out a few different reusables to try.

tuliparcher Tue 19-Aug-14 12:21:55

If you would like to try some reusable nappies. I'm happy to send you a few, as I have a box full in the loft :-)

cashmiriana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:23:53

I would consider washables: a fitted nappy with elasticated waist and legs, and a separate wrap to provide a second line of containment. This is bound to sound horribly smug, sorry, but the honest truth is that we never had a single poo that escaped nappies, in either of our bf DC. It came close, and we had to wash a fair few wraps as well as nappies, especially in the early days, but they really did keep everything well contained. The best fit would be in a sized nappy rather than a birth to potty, as especially with young babies you might not get such a good fit at the legs with one that is designed to fit a much larger child.

Actualy, cheap old fashioned terry squares can be folded to fit a baby absolutely beautifully but I realise that I was a bit hardcore when it comes to nappies, and other people don't enjoy origami at nappy changes. I could get a really secure fit at legs and waist, but it does take a bit of practise, and a certain level of nappy obsession.

cashmiriana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:24:39

practice

evertonmint Tue 19-Aug-14 12:29:27

Thank you all!

I have a pile of Bumgenius from the previous DCs but with school hols chaos and this to get used to I haven't got them out yet and I didn't even think about them as an option blush I'll give them a go!

Would a BG without insert work like a wrap? Doubling up might be safest option I guess.

He's totally unpredictable - gone twice in 3 days but only twice last week! This was the first (and hopefully last!) night time one.

Nice to meet other Pavlik parents. There are so many worse conditions out there and I'm v grateful this should fix DS's hips while he's too young to be inconvenienced by it, but it just saps a lot of the joy out of having a newborn - no baths, no naked kick arounds on mat (as worried about him weeing on it), feeding positions are a bit tricky/uncomfy, and cuddles are harder because he can't mould his body to me so easily and he just feels really solid and unyielding. At least the physio cut the toes off the booties when I cried about not being able to tickle his toes for 12 weeks!

evertonmint Tue 19-Aug-14 12:41:22

My concern with the BGs is getting a tight enough fit on a small baby (we had a few leaks at this stage with the older 2, but they were much better when they were about 4m onwards). What sized-nappy would anyone recommend? It can't be too bulky so that it doesn't interfere with the straps hence a terry not bring suitable I think (I did use them a bit with DS1 before I discovered BGs)

JADS Tue 19-Aug-14 12:46:27

Do you have the flip type or the standard bg? Ds only went into reusables when he started weaning and his poo was quite solid . They might work as a cover. If you have them already, is it worth a try?

Otherwise I think little lambs are a 2 part system.

evertonmint Tue 19-Aug-14 12:46:55

And QOD, tape idea is excellent! They put a but on the leg straps to hold them so I know it's 'allowed'. Won't help the padding but should help with straps.

evertonmint Tue 19-Aug-14 12:47:47

Standard BG from 6 years ago - v3 I think. I'll try them as a cover first and see if it helps.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Aug-14 12:48:54

I have some XS and S Sandys terry nappys and covers that were really bomb proof when it came to poo, and would happily post them to you if you'd like?

JADS Tue 19-Aug-14 12:54:11

He is only 8 weeks, sorry I misread and thought he was older. How big is ds? Are his legs quite skinny? My friends who used the xs bg were out of them by about 8-9 weeks. If he has a disposable underneath, maybe on the smallest snap size it will be Ok.

DeWee Tue 19-Aug-14 13:00:54

The best I found was a disposable nappy with a washable nappy cover. Because I used to find washables drip down the leg, disposables send poo up the back. So between them they worked fine.

Laundryangel Tue 19-Aug-14 13:03:01

Disposables may not be a solution. DD was ebf and only went once a week. When she did, it would come out of the neck of her babygro as well out ooze out through the poppers. How easy will it be for him to sit or get him into a seated position? Obviously not yet as he is only 8w but, once DD was sitting, the poos tended to go up & out the back rather than down & under which may be preferable with a harness. This is a tough one and you have my sympathy.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 19-Aug-14 13:14:49

I use a stretchy medical stocking for tendonitis in my wrist. It's about a foot long? From your post I'm assuming that you are not allowed to undo the straps at all but I'm baffled as to how you actually dress and undress the child if that's the case....

Any how. If you cut a stocking down one side you could wrap the straps and tape in place. That way the tape wouldn't directly be on the straps and you could simply cut off the tape quickly and wash/bin the stocking.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 13:29:20

Would extra nappy liners help, sort of tucked in places where the leaks happen? Although I can't see that being comfy really.

ooh, maybe a muslin tucked underneath the nappy? through the legs bit of the harness would maybe catch the worst without it getting all over the harness.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-14 13:34:50

TreadSoftly, it's very...erm...interesting trying to dress/undress a teeny baby who's all strapped up. There's no wiggle room to fit fingers/thumbs through really to help with dressing and undressing.

Mine was very grumpy for months with hers on, I took her to a&e at one point because she screamed that much and nothing would settle her. Life got much easier when she went into a harness that held just her hips/legs rather than whole body & went over clothes.

Although that harness brought out the judginess in some people, it looks worse than it is & one woman commented VERY loudly while staring at me that my DD's legs were broken. Soon put her straight though, just as loudly...she went blush .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now