Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

In growing toenail being sorted today

(54 Posts)
manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:36:40

Son has had it for ages. Go suggested rolling cotton wool under the side to help nail grow away. We did this for a month - nada. It's inflamed and bleeds a bit.

Went to chirop1 who thought she had sorted it. No.

Today is uber chirop who comes highly recommended. He is cacking himself it's going to hurt sad

gertiegusset Tue 19-Aug-14 07:37:49

Yep, that'll hurt.

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:39:28

I reckon. It's all puffy on one side though. IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

DeadCert Tue 19-Aug-14 07:40:53

Ouch. Yep, that's going to hurt. How old is he?

EverythingCounts Tue 19-Aug-14 07:41:19

Sadly it will hurt, certainly afterwards. But are they now actually removing it? If so it will be local anaesthetic.

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:42:16

Teenage luckily. I don't know if the whole thing needs to come off

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:42:40

Oh wah! You lot are scaring me now!

ChickyEgg Tue 19-Aug-14 07:46:05

My DS has had problems for the last year with ingrowing toenails (both big toes). The only thing that has helped, despite various procedures, is having the sides of the nail removed and Phenol treatment to destroy the nail bed at those points. The only thing that hurts is the ring block - anaesthetic going into the toe. Once that was done, DS said it was fine. btw the podiatrist said my sons nails have a tendency to curl over anyway. We now have a few weeks of dressing changes but the first one worked and once this is healed hopefully that'll be the end of it!

ChickyEgg Tue 19-Aug-14 07:47:15

Forgot to add! I hope that the procedure your son is having works. It might not hurt afterward as badly as you think. DS needed paracetomol when the anaesthetic wore off but hasn't needed any since.

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:47:19

Yes big toe here too. This is a couple of years now On and off so I need a solution.

This is first appointment. Will she just get on with it?

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 07:47:39

Ta chicky

ChickyEgg Tue 19-Aug-14 07:52:33

Maybe, if that is what the referral has asked them to do. Our GP referred DS to the clinic and then it was done when he saw them. It doesn't take long.

Good luck flowers

PurpleFeather Tue 19-Aug-14 07:55:40

Not sure why everyone is saying it will hurt massively. I had this done and the local anaesthetic was very effective! A bit of discomfort after but nothing some painkillers and a large gin couldn't fix grin

elvenbread Tue 19-Aug-14 08:07:25

I had this done. Having anaesthetic injected into my toe was incredibly painful. Didn't hurt much afterwards though and it did the trick. That was about 20 yrs ago and I've never had an ingrown nail since.

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 08:08:52

Lol at gin. He's normally not ruffled but asked me twice last night if it will hurt

ThreeYorkshires Tue 19-Aug-14 08:15:02

If it's the first appointment, she might just want to assess it and cut it before recommending surgery. Cutting is uncomfortable but I didn't find it painful, and the surgery was brilliant-has completely sorted the in growing bit and saves me a £30 trip to the chiropodist every month! As others have said, the surgery doesn't hurt but then injection of local anasthetic isn't great.

Get him to take a magazine/iPod in as distraction, it's much worse watching what's going on, so I used to hide behind a magazine! Surgery took about 1.5 hours I think, and a regular assessment/cutting back appointment was usually about 25 minutes.

Hope all goes well for your DS, he will feel so much more comfortable once it's been sorted!

Oh, and ingrown nails can be caused by cutting the nail wrong, but can also occur when the nail is shaped in a way that makes growing in more likely (I have fan shaped big toenails, apparently. Or did, before they cut the sides off them!)

BabyGroot Tue 19-Aug-14 08:16:40

I have no big toe nails. Had the sides done 3 times but they grew back so my toenails were removed completely. The local anaesthetic was the sorest part. Hope he gets on OK.

ThreeYorkshires Tue 19-Aug-14 08:17:00

If he does have the surgery today, be prepared for a hilariously massive dressing on his toe, and take flip flops! Seriously, I had four nails done and the taxi driver smirked at my clown feet the whole way home smile

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 08:23:32

right iPad is a good idea

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 08:23:53

oh shit he has a sport thing this afternoon - you think he wont make it?

Fluffyears Tue 19-Aug-14 08:40:43

Got it done by GP had anaesthetic which hurt like a bastard then it bled like a geyser. Went to a qualified podiatrist, no anaesthetic, he had a special tool which took off nail edge, pain free and done in seconds. He said not to go to GP as they only deal with this every so often and he does it every day. He also said a chiropodist is trained to cut nails not much else. A podiatrist is actually medically trained in all things foot related and are fab.

MummytoMog Tue 19-Aug-14 08:42:08

No. Also, if he has a local, sit on his legs so he can't pull back. I flinched when they did my local, and they had to do the local again. Hideous pain. Nothing like it til childbirth.

NHS Podiatrist <<Disclaimer, I don't do alot of nail surgery now ??

OK, the injection is what he'll be worried about mainly.
It is not that bad trust me. I had 6 done (over a period of 6 weeks) in my final year.
Providing the injector does the injection slowly enough, it's not painful. It stings/tingles but that's the analgesic working.
(I sometimes suggest if someone is a real needle-fearer to get Emla Cream from the pharmacy . I got some for my DD when she needed a canula in her arm years ago. GP gave a prescription, - not free- but it was cheaper OTC. You need an occlusive cover, some use clingfilm and it needs a couple of hours IIRC). But it's rare that someone needs it, it's for people who have an extreme fear.

If he can go through an in-chair treatment of having his nails cut back, the surgery is no great shakes TBH.

Once it's numb (and they should give a quick test - prod with something sharp) he'll only feel pressure and cold.

Whole thing takes 10-15 minutes, it's the pre-op and final explaining, signing consent that takes longer.
I always ask patients to lie flat when they have their injection, then they can watch if they want to. iPod / headphones is a good idea if he wants to be detatched.

He'll have numb toe for 2-4 hours. He'll have a big dressing.
If he needs a painkiller (many people don't) then nothing with asprin.

And the sports thing this afternoon, erm, no, unlikely.

Good Luck

Oooh just read there - if it's his first appointment with this Podiatrist then I wouldn't think they'd do it today.
Is it NHS or Private?
Either way, they'll need to fill in paperwork, get a history, (we have to write to GP, but alot of our patients have other ongoing health problems too)

They'd need to book an appointment time for him ( our clinic books an hour to do the whole thing, but the actual surgery is a tiny part of that)
He might make his Sports event smile

Ds had both big toes done a couple of years ago, he didn't complain about the actual procedure but had huge dressings on both feet and flip flops recommended which wasn't easy as it was early January and there was snow on the ground! He couldn't get normal school shoes on for a couple of weeks and I had to get permission for him to go to school in skater type shoes for a fortnight as nothing else would fit. After the actual removal of toe nails he certainly had to avoid most sports for a while too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now