Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

whats the maximum dose of codeine you can take if in serious pain, gallstone pain

(26 Posts)
BBQSteak Mon 18-Aug-14 23:20:32

can you take more than 60mg if you really need to

BBQSteak Mon 18-Aug-14 23:39:43

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggg

this pain kills

why wont my fucking dr give me morphine or pethadine

Carrie5608 Mon 18-Aug-14 23:45:29

It depends if its codeine alone or with paracetamol. But I definitely wouldn't take more than 60 without speaking to a GP

wildernessagogo Mon 18-Aug-14 23:48:09

Alternate with ibuprofen. Works for me!

BBQSteak Mon 18-Aug-14 23:51:33

yes I take two paracetamol with it

I'm in pain and I cant sleep

they are not giving me adequate pain relief

so I thinking I have no choice but to complain
I don't want to but I don't know what else to do

tmae Tue 19-Aug-14 00:12:46

When I was in hospital with gallstones recently they also gave me buscopan to stop the cramping. I don't know if this was only okay because I was scheduled to have the stones removed (they'd gone by the time they did the procedure) so it wasn't important for my body to be trying to pass the stone though.

I was kept in hospital for nearly a week during my gallbladder attack, with the option of oramorph so I would complain if I were you. I hope you feel better soon.

BBQSteak Tue 19-Aug-14 00:18:01

Thanks ive decided to complain as I just can't accept this

BBQSteak Tue 19-Aug-14 00:18:38

Did your gb attack last a week?

tmae Tue 19-Aug-14 00:26:16

No thankfully! A few days but they kept me in, I had a stent put in to help my pancreas drain so maybe I had a touch of pancreatitis. I read that most attacks last 1-3 hours but mine was around 4 days of constant attacks with short breaks in between of just discomfort and not agony.

BBQSteak Tue 19-Aug-14 00:37:44

Woah that sounds bad

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 19-Aug-14 00:43:13

60mg 4 times a day, 4-6 hourly is the maximum dose. If that and ibuprofen alternated isn't managing your pain, you need to see a Dr.

Sorry you're in so much pain, I've heard gallbladder pain can be horrific and these things always seem to happen at night when medical support is harder to come by thanks

DifferentNow Tue 19-Aug-14 00:47:15

Sorry you're suffering. When I had attacks, I used to go to a&e and get a morphine injection and then come home again - nothing else touched the pain. Is this an option for you?

Different, do they let you home now? Every time I went for morphine they kept me in for days at a time. When I wasn't in pain I was climbing the walls with boredom and ended up taking my fellow patients out for cigarettes and helping them go to the bathroom.

goingloombandcrazy Tue 19-Aug-14 01:08:01

Are you in hospital. Get all the drugs. Explain the pain. They may lots at removal sooner rather than later

ShakyTheStork Tue 19-Aug-14 01:10:12

Oh heck, gallbladder pain is serious agony.

If your pain is not controlled with your prescribed painkillers you really need to go to a & e. it may be that you have infected gallstones. You need more pain relief and you will not get it until you see a doctor.

Please, go to a & e, out of hours gp will just tell you to go to hospital anyway. You don't have to suffer like this. I hope you feel better soon thanks

BBQSteak Tue 19-Aug-14 01:23:14

Maybe I should just get a taxi to a and e

When I get there do they have to give ssomething strong to control the pain

BBQSteak Tue 19-Aug-14 01:23:42

Gonna call cab

holidaysarenice Tue 19-Aug-14 01:27:48

I saw your other thread.
Do go to a and e, they will treat pain but they won't just fill you on morphine. They will probably keep you and check your liver function tests etc.
They won't remove it any wquiccker so it isn't usual to remove during an attack .

ShakyTheStork Thu 21-Aug-14 23:26:07

How are you OP?

I hope you are feeling better and they have sorted you out

Sending painkilling vibes your way flowers

BBQSteak Fri 22-Aug-14 15:24:04

hi,thanks for asking, that's kind of you, I'm okish thanks sad
got a date for my op now, and 'i'm really worried about it sad

never had a general or anything before

A general is fine, really it is. I've had a few generals and have got quite blasé about it as it's easier than you'd think. The Anaesthetist gives you some lovely drugs, and the next thing you know you're waking up and being given even more drugs grin

expatinscotland Fri 22-Aug-14 15:32:01

GAs are awesome.

BBQSteak Fri 22-Aug-14 15:53:17

the nurse was v nice to me, as she realised how anxious I am about it all

and she told me shes had two genrals and she said she actually enjoys the experience and that she thinks its actually pleasant the sensation of falling asleep

I don't want to stay in hospital
but it seems weird to think they can do surgery on you, then you go home the same day....

thanks for your kind comments

lotsofcheese Fri 22-Aug-14 16:08:22

Glad you got some pain relief. Gallbladder pain is grim; I've had 2 attacks in 2 weeks - thankfully I have a medicine cabinet full of codeine!!!

I hope you can get the damn thing out soon. I'm still waiting for my scan, and to see the surgeons.bloods are off, so hopefully that will speed up the process.

Good luck!

lotsofcheese Fri 22-Aug-14 17:07:55

Ps I've had 3 general anaesthetics: the staff have always been excellent. It is, as others have said, just like going off to sleep. And waking up from a very deep sleep on the other side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now