Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Someone has invited DH to the theatre- just him and her!

(563 Posts)
mrsruffallo Mon 18-Aug-14 21:35:01

Just asking for opinions really. I am deliberately leaving out some details.
DH takes DS to lots of clubs etc. During one of these clubs, he got talking to someone who works there and DH said he would love to see a particular show but that I didn't fancy it. That was a couple of months ago. He took DS to the place today and she said she had two tickets and wondered if he would like to go with her as she had no one else to go with!
He said he was non committal, embarassed, didn't want to offend her etc said to her he would have to run it by me. She said sure, if your DW is okay maybe we could go for a drink first too, make a night of it!
I work full time, long hours, DH SAHP.

What would you think?

mrsruffallo Mon 18-Aug-14 21:40:19

Am I being old fashioned to find it a little odd?

dexter73 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:43:47

That would sound a little bit like a date to me! I would find that a little odd too.

Hollycopter Mon 18-Aug-14 21:44:04

Umm, I suppose perhaps she might get the benefit of the doubt for the tickets, but it think suggesting they make a night of it crosses a line from 'spare ticket and don't want to go alone' to 'I want to spend time with you'

ScarlettDarling Mon 18-Aug-14 21:44:07

I'd not want my dh to go... The old 'Ive got a spare ticket ' line, hmmm!
On the bright side, your dh is obviously a good un and got no intention of doing anything naughty!

QueenBean Mon 18-Aug-14 21:44:41

I think you're leaving too much out to make an informed opinion.

I think my opinion will be different to many on here but my partner has female friends and I'm fine with him doing activities with them. Dinner and theatre is absolutely fine. And it's not a date!

Do you trust your partner? If yes then it's fine. If no then you have bigger issues then just this.

shesaidgleeba Mon 18-Aug-14 21:45:04

I understand you finding it strange but it sounds innocent, where did she get the tickets from and why has she got 2?

PurpleWithRed Mon 18-Aug-14 21:45:58

Wouldn't bother me at all, so what if she hits on him? Don't you trust him to say no?

Shia Mon 18-Aug-14 21:47:22

Ask if it's something you would so yourself or if you would mind your husband being the one that had the tickets?

It doesn't sound kosher to me and I hope your husband says thanks but no thanks.

I'm a friendly person and it's not something I would ever contemplate doing.

mrsruffallo Mon 18-Aug-14 21:47:38

She said someone bought her the tickets for her birthday.

I haven't met her.

Fairylea Mon 18-Aug-14 21:48:18

I wouldn't be happy. I'd get him to say you want to come too and ask if she minds if he buys another ticket.....!

Bakeoffcakes Mon 18-Aug-14 21:48:30

My DH has been to dinner and the theatre with a work collegue. But he's known her for years and she's a friend of the family too.

It doesn't sound like youre DH knows this woman that well so I do think its a bit odd to be invited for a drink and the theatre.

mrsruffallo Mon 18-Aug-14 21:48:58

He is very outgoing and friendly. He only knows her in the capacity of her working in the place DS goes regularly, for a club.

shesaidgleeba Mon 18-Aug-14 21:50:00

Does he think there's anything in it? I she single? I'm sure she's just being friendly but something doesn't sit right

AlpacaYourThings Mon 18-Aug-14 21:50:14

It does sound a bit odd. I wouldn't mind if my DH went, though.

I'm wondering what details you have left out and why.

mrsruffallo Mon 18-Aug-14 21:50:34

She is the local librarian. Single, possibly divorced.

pebblestack Mon 18-Aug-14 21:50:57

It'd be different with an established female friends, but a new acquaintance who appears to have bought 2 tickets to a show she knew in advance you aren't interested in... sounds like she's trying to make a connection with him

coppertop Mon 18-Aug-14 21:51:22

It seems like a bit of a coincidence that he mentioned the show and now she has a spare ticket.

Flossiex2 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:52:09

No way! How could anyone possibly be cool about this?

Itsfab Mon 18-Aug-14 21:53:11

Does he want to go?

I think she is being a bit silly asking to make a night of it.

How was she when he said he asked to ask you? Was she respectful of the fact or off?

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 18-Aug-14 21:54:33

If I knew her I may well be fine.
I'm about as unpossessive as it gets, but aa unknown woman and a drink beforehand too? shock
On yer bike, love.

Elswyth Mon 18-Aug-14 21:54:35

I've sometimes gone alone to the theatre and stayed overnight with a male friend. But I've known him since childhood, so that's probably different.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with somebody who sounds like a new acquaintance, personally. I don't know

No way would I be happy with this.

What is she thinking?

expatinscotland Mon 18-Aug-14 21:55:44

Make a night out of it?! Er, no.

AlleyCat11 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:56:10

Wouldn't mind a friend or colleague. But not a stranger. She's overstepping the mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now