Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone live in Marlow/High Wycombe area please?

(34 Posts)
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 18-Aug-14 20:17:43

We are staying this week at my sister in laws, and am looking for ideas grin

We have 2 kids (6 & 8). Ideally free or cheap ideas!

Thanks smile

Lewisfan Mon 18-Aug-14 20:20:20

Beckonscott model village isn't far and not tooooo expensive

There's caves somewhere in Wycombe - not sure where or how much

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 18-Aug-14 20:21:47

Yes we were thinking of the model village thanks, it looks good and not to expensive!

Will google the caves thanks

HoundPaws Mon 18-Aug-14 20:23:33

Hell Fire Caves!

Bookaholic Mon 18-Aug-14 20:23:43

West Wycombe Caves (at West Wycombe) - despite being the home of the Hellfire Club are child friendly. There's the National Trust estate at Hughenden - the grounds are free but you have to pay to go into the house.

HoundPaws Mon 18-Aug-14 20:24:03

The Speen home of rest for horses isn't far nor is the Bucks Goat Centre

Hell Fire Caves at West Wycombe, not sure what the charges are, haven't been there for years. There's also Hughenden Manor amd West Wycombe House (both NT).

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:27:08

Marlow obviously, lovely town, nice play park, walk to river and maybe even along it. Loads of chartiy shops with excellent book sections.

Henley also a must, lovely high street, some inde shops, head for river, where play park is, OK play ground, but lovely setting, again nice short walk to bridge over river, a few fair ground rides, £1 per go too...

Odds Farm, abut 8 per child? 10 per adult> circus there at mo, half an hour its free...loads of play areas, in door and out, and animals of course.

Windsor - town pleasant to walk round, the old part, nice shops, nice river side, wouldn't bother with castle its boring..Windsor great park, short drive out ( saville garden) is free and lovely, really lovely.

Hell fire caves in west wycombe, don't go in if suffer claustrophobia its short, but interesting and village is really old and lovely.

roald dhal musum great missendon, very worth a visit, small but interesting, story telling, and you can join in if wish, not sure of price but its not expensive, in a sweet village.

if you have NT then clivden and greys court are a must.

Blondie1984 Mon 18-Aug-14 20:27:32

And you aren't too far from the Roald Dahl museum in Great Missenden which is lovely - not free though

bronya Mon 18-Aug-14 20:28:07

The Rye in Wycombe has a fantastic children's play area for older children, plus boats to hire, and an open air swimming pool. You can feed the ducks/walk round/play tennis on the courts there. There's also indoor swimming by the M40, jct 4 in a big sports centre.

Windsor's a short drive away, with a fab leisure centre pool (slides etc), and lots of activities to do in the town/on the river.

There's a second hand bookshop in Penn (village just outside Wycombe where books are £1 or a little more and there're tonnes of them, esp children's books - you can spend hours in there looking!).

sausagefortea Mon 18-Aug-14 20:28:50

Odds farm park? Cliveden - has a giant slide at the mo and various activities in throughout the summer hols.

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:29:25

Hugendon is a little boring, and west wycombe is better but not as much fun at cliveden or greys court ( henley) however west wycome is also hard to get into awkard opening time.

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:30:20

There's a second hand bookshop in Penn (village just outside Wycombe where books are £1 or a little more and there're tonnes of them, esp children's books - you can spend hours in there looking!) that sounds wondeful, never heard of this place, will track it down.

This is taking me back, I used to live in Wycombe Marsh close to the Rye, loved that bookshop. We also used to like the other big park next to the A40 towards Loudwater. Is the little lido at the Rye still there?

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 18-Aug-14 20:32:35

Some great ideas thank you smile

The book shop sounds amazing, I love books, that's first on my list grin

Bookaholic Mon 18-Aug-14 20:38:42

The bookshop at Penn is DANGEROUS! They let you stack up books on the counter while you browse the rest of the place. I have never ever escaped with less than two large carrier bags full of books.

Hmm, I really need to visit again, not been for a while.

Laundryangel Mon 18-Aug-14 20:40:07

The model village is good but it will cost you £40 and you will only be there an hour.
How often have your DC been to London? Is it worth doing a day trip there? Ask about the group travel tickets when buying tickets as you get some odd deal which is much cheaper. Check out the Days Out 2for1 website too.
Windsor has the guards plus band marching up the hill every day at 11.00 and back down again at 11.30.
I second the Rye.

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:40:15

Oxfam in malrow and henley also both have brilliant books as well as the other charity shops there but as you may well know oxfam is pricier.

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:41:45
JADS Mon 18-Aug-14 20:41:55

All my suggestions have been said already. It's a lovely bit of the world. I miss it sad

Bookaholic Mon 18-Aug-14 20:43:50

Yes, that's the place (it didn't used to have a website). There also used to be lovely pub next door for lunch and a village green with duck pond opposite. The green and pond are definitely still there, not checked out the pub in a couple of years though.

firstposts Mon 18-Aug-14 20:53:09

Gruffalo trail in wendover woods is close to Roald Dahl museum ..Could be a good day out? There's a go ape in wendover too.

There's a lido in Wycombe on the rye if you have good weather.

Hire a boat on river in Marlow or Henley?

It's my home area, love it there grin

Bronya, don't tell me that!! I'm a huge bookworm!

Littlemiss, I'm a Beaconsfield native and was born in High Wycombe. My family emigrated when I was 5 but I have fond memories of the model village on trips back to the UK.

fragolino Mon 18-Aug-14 20:57:46

In door plays, you have Kids in Action v pricey though Reading way), Jungle Mania, Play train ( my fav in wycombe)

CQ Mon 18-Aug-14 20:58:28

I love Beckonscott model village. I used to go there when I was a kid (now 47!) and then it was so special to take my DCs there and see their love of the teeny tiny houses and trains.

Just lovely. smile

Train prices to London are surprisingly cheap if you go off-off-peak. I went to London today with DD and my mum, and somehow DD's ticket was just £1 including all-zone travelcard shock from Maidenhead. Maybe because we didn't go until 1.30 pm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now