Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I am a middle class parenting cliche aren't i? :(

(184 Posts)
Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:49:39

Am on hols ATM in wales.
Went to a zoo today.
Actually heard myself say;
"Ds2 stop harassing that peacock!"
Cue much sniggering from other parents smile
Come on...what are your most embarrassing/bizarre/funny utterances to your dc when out and about!? ;)

squirrelweasel Mon 18-Aug-14 18:13:14

I said to the 7 and 4yr old, 'Father Christmas knows what you are doing at all times' sadI was desperate! they were being nuisances and would not listen to me at all. A woman was actually crying with laughter whilst pointing and sniggering at me with a group of other people. But it worked, I was really embarassed though.

MyGoldenNotebook Mon 18-Aug-14 18:37:21

I'm really not sure how either of those things are 'middle class' - because they involve fairly sophisticated vocabulary.

Having been brought up in a working kvass family I am happy to confirm that my parents talked to me using quite long words, took me to the zoo and told me about Father Christmas.

I am now considered MC due to education, job etc and my children like olives and hummus!!! How hilarious is that hmm

BeyondBurma Mon 18-Aug-14 18:38:59

How does that make you mc in particular?

MyGoldenNotebook Mon 18-Aug-14 18:39:10

Sorry there should have been ??? at the end if the first paragraph

BravePotato Mon 18-Aug-14 18:39:49

does it have to be middle class utterances ?

We are quite posh, so don't really want to call myself middle class wink

though there was that time when DS1 spooked one of our polo ponies by farting loudly!(this is true)

onestepbeyond Mon 18-Aug-14 18:41:52

Why is that middle class? I don't understand - is it because you used the word harassing?

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 18-Aug-14 18:43:03

What's middle class or cliched about any of that? Or are you aspiring to be mc?

Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:43:50

Brave smile
Golden. I consider myself working class.
This is a lighthearted thread about me saying words to my dc I never thought I would utter.
Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Oh god the miseries are out
I found your OP funny!

lk26 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:44:29

God you can't say anything on here !!

GrapefruitILoveIt Mon 18-Aug-14 18:44:42

I don't see the middle class thing either.

Don't working class people go to the zoo? confused

Like BravePotato, I don't feel I'm doing myself any favours labelling myself middle class. At worst, I'm exempt from classification.

Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:45:38

Oh ffs!
Forget it!
When I was a kid my holiday was a day trip to Skegness. I never went to a zoo, much less saw a peacock.
So, yes. I found my experiences today quite middle class!
Forgot I was on mn there for a minute....

GrapefruitILoveIt Mon 18-Aug-14 18:46:31

Ok then, I'm not a misery. I'll play.

My son wouldn't eat off the kids' menu recently. He wanted a caesar salad. I took a picture of him eating lettuce. In an aisle at tesco he once announced he only liked black olives.

You see?! we can all do this!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 18-Aug-14 18:49:01

If you were properly working class, your DC would be harassing a ferret. You traitor you. wink

Guitargirl Mon 18-Aug-14 18:49:39

I am grin at this thread. Especially at the middle-class peacocks.

MyGoldenNotebook Mon 18-Aug-14 18:50:03

I'm sure you mean well but these kind if jokes perpetuate the myth that WC and MC people are almost a different species, that WC parents don't talk to their children or engage them with cultural activities.

I think that society's current attitude to low income families is very worrying and causes people to feel as embarrassed by their background / size of home as they may have been 100 years ago - actually I think it's worse now with the 'chav' label being constantly bandied about.

In my view you are MC if you have average (middle) income or above. 'Lifestyle Choices' such as going to see peacocks, reading to your children or eating quinoa have nothing to do with it really.

lk26 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:50:09

I tell you this site is an eye opener. Some of the replays you get when you make an apparently innocent sounding post make my jaw drop ! And I can tell you that's no mean feat

I do wonder how some of the people on here manage to cope with real life !

MissBeans Mon 18-Aug-14 18:50:55

How exactly does that make you middle class?

It's hilarious how many people are so desperate to be known as 'middle class'.

Pathetic

Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:52:50

Golden..I am utterly bemused at your last post!?
I am not saying anything like that!
Christ...what has happened to MN!?
My parents were working class and managed to speak to me quite well and indeed regularly! We just didn't have any money.
Not the same thing is it?
Jesus.

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Mon 18-Aug-14 18:53:03

Are only Welsh zoos middle class? Are the animal posher?

Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:53:37

Ton..my mums neighbour has ferrets. I will get ds2 onto harassing them instead smile

juneybean Mon 18-Aug-14 18:54:28

It really depends how you pronounce harrassing

Idontseeanyicegiants Mon 18-Aug-14 18:55:14

Good God you can't make a joke about class on here! What were you thinking?? wink
My 2 year old DD loudly announced in Sainsburys yesterday 'Mama me want croissant please' in such an oddly posh accent (I live near Rochdale FFS) that a lady walking past actually did a double take and rolled her eyes..
grin
Now enough with the fun please..

Badvoc123 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:55:25

Omg, some of these replies are just...odd.
I am not mc.
I do not aspire to be mc.
I just happened to say something today in circumstances that made me feel mc.
Blimey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now