Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

things about the UK I don't understand (feel free to add your own)

(270 Posts)
BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:16

I want to ask, because I am curious, not because I am criticizing!
1) Do people really install carpet in bathrooms, or is it just found in not-yet-modernized homes?
2) Can people talk to the bullies parents? Almost every bullying thread says go through the school, even if they are doing a shit job, or the suggestions involve moving/moving schools. Why not just find the bullies parents, and deal with it directly?
3) I really don't get how the school year is laid out. It always seems like someone is saying it is half term? blush I don't know how many terms there are.
Here in Canada, School runs from the first week of September, to the last week of June, with two weeks off at Christmas, and a week off in March.
4)Pies in a tin
Is this urban legend? How would it stay flaky? How would you heat it?Thank you for any help understanding these not that big of a deal things!

Serenitysutton Mon 18-Aug-14 18:05:14

Small houses because we are a small country with a huge population! And they're not that small, it's not like japan being crammed into a small apartment

Serenitysutton Mon 18-Aug-14 18:06:20

I reckon the drinking is related to being Northern European- the climate, the lack of sunshine. See scandanavia for a more extreme version and notice how closest country Ireland is similar!

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 18-Aug-14 18:06:22

House I think the teams are agreed with the sport's governing body and whether they affiliate the area. Presumably they could affiliate any old territory they like as long as they agree terms.

So IRB says yes t WRU and SRU etc.

WillowWoods Mon 18-Aug-14 18:09:50

My children are more tolerant of my DM than I am[no history] and are certainly not rude to OAP's.
Small houses= obviously no space to build on our tiny island.
Who's sad?

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 18-Aug-14 18:10:46

If anyone has had the misfortune to live in house with no central-heating (I have) then carpet in the bathroom becomes an obvious choice. Tiles or vinyl would have resulted in frost-bite in the winter.

Fray Bentos brand pies-in-a-tin are manufactured in Argentina. A useful buy for the useless/lazy cook back in the day when fridges in ordinary homes were very uncommon.

A couple of Canadian things we could do with over here in the UK are Sunlight soap, Bick's cucumber relish and POUTINE!

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 18:11:16

blush
It wasn't until DayLillie posted that I got it. I thought the whole pie, including the pastry, had already been baked and then put in the tin.
I feel a bit stupid now.
But also glad to be wiser.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 18-Aug-14 18:12:37

Oh, I forgot salmon jerky

manofsponge Mon 18-Aug-14 18:13:16

oh carpets in bathrooms YAWN
hardly anyone does this any more

manofsponge Mon 18-Aug-14 18:14:17

i hate separate taps

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 18:14:47

Yesssssss!
Poutine is the food of the Gods!
My DS did a project on the history of poutine in gr 7 I think.hmm
Bics rock. They make lovely crunchy pickles too, I just bought a jar of their yum-yums ( a sweet pickle)
I think every kid grows up using Sunlight, they do laundry and dish soap, plus the floating bars. so lemony

LucilleBluth Mon 18-Aug-14 18:15:58

I lived in Canada for five years.....I miss Tim Hortons chilli, Pizza Pizza, proper salads when eating out, also nachos.....iced tea, New York Fries poutine, Zip Loc containers....I could go on.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP smile...... I have never had a carpeted bathroom.

BertieBotts Mon 18-Aug-14 18:16:04

Yes, they only have pastry on the top. So it's a lidded casserole really rather than a pie as such.

The tinned chicken is in America, not Canada. It's disgusting, I've seen photos on somebody's blog.

I love the thought that Canadian parents are reasonable enough to react appropriately when somebody comes and tells them their child is a bully. I couldn't imagine that here.

houseofstark Mon 18-Aug-14 18:18:45

Thanks Haunted. I guess I just find it strange as no-one else seems to do it. grin

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 18-Aug-14 18:20:35

Oh, and the most important thing of all after poutine are COFFEE CRISPS drool

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 18:21:32

Do you remember the old commercials?
How do you like your coffee? Crisp!

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 18-Aug-14 18:24:21

About the drunkenness: even the Romans when they got over here thought we were a nation of piss-heads. Some traditions are worth keeping.

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 18:25:19

I also want to be super clear I am not UK bashing, Canada may be wonderful but we still have Stephen Harper, the oil sands, and a fucking team that can't win the cup for love nor money the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I don't get the British desire to queue out of choice.
I have lived here more than 20years and I will still do absolutely anything to avoid queuing - I will jump it if possible and if all else fails I will just leave I can't even be bothered to queue in a supermarket and have left numerous full trolleys. I don't think I have ever missed out on anything worth having by refusing to queue. --I realise this makes me sound charming, I do have redeeming features

oops, a lot of strikethrough there not intended

nickelbabe Mon 18-Aug-14 18:40:35

itms not

Georgethesecond Mon 18-Aug-14 18:41:33

I think the worst thing is our over dependence on alcohol. What's the alcohol culture like in Canada?

HemlockStarglimmer Mon 18-Aug-14 18:45:20

Years ago my ex once cooked a tinned pie in the oven without taking the lid off. He was home alone as his folks were away, and drink had been taken. He fell asleep but woke up when the tin exploded and blew the oven door off. grin

Being resourceful and now suddenly sober he cleared up the mess and mended the oven.

She thanked him for cleaning it when she got home! gringrin

nickelbabe Mon 18-Aug-14 18:45:52

it's not about choosing to queue, it's about recognising that everybody has a turn.

I don't get why you'd choose to abandon your entire trolley of stuff you need just because yoy don't want to queue.
I can ynderstand not queuing if you're in a hurry or feeling unwell, or are unable to queue, but would presume you'd only be getting a couple of things.

makeminea6x Mon 18-Aug-14 18:47:32

Surely Sunlight soap is English? From Port Sunlight on the Wirral? Or am I confused?

Poutine is lush.

Sneepy Mon 18-Aug-14 18:49:44

I knew someone would be on here defending seperate taps!! I think it's because many Brits haven't caught on to the idea that plumbing technology has moved on since the 1930s. You can still buy them new in bath stores.

Maybe someone can tell me why I can't have an outlet in my bathroom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now