Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

things about the UK I don't understand (feel free to add your own)

(270 Posts)
BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:16

I want to ask, because I am curious, not because I am criticizing!
1) Do people really install carpet in bathrooms, or is it just found in not-yet-modernized homes?
2) Can people talk to the bullies parents? Almost every bullying thread says go through the school, even if they are doing a shit job, or the suggestions involve moving/moving schools. Why not just find the bullies parents, and deal with it directly?
3) I really don't get how the school year is laid out. It always seems like someone is saying it is half term? blush I don't know how many terms there are.
Here in Canada, School runs from the first week of September, to the last week of June, with two weeks off at Christmas, and a week off in March.
4)Pies in a tin
Is this urban legend? How would it stay flaky? How would you heat it?Thank you for any help understanding these not that big of a deal things!

AlexVause82 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:26:34

Haha!

I don't have carpet in my bathroom

Pies in a tin, Fray Bentos, look them up.

I'm afraid I can't answer the other questions as I don't have children smile

sj73 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:28:30

The bloody separate taps! One scalding one cold. They make nonsense whatsoever if you are washing your hands.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-Aug-14 17:28:43

1) thats a very old style of decor and is utterly vile. People these days dont tend to choose to put a carpet in their bathroom
2)More often than not the Bullies have learned the behaviour from their folks so may well not be the most reasonable. There is also a lot of responsibility for schools to manage the behaviour of the students whilst on site. If bullying is happening IN school then it should be dealt with BY the school (with appropriate discussions between school and parents)
3)Term one: sept to christmas with a weeks break in the middle. Term two: Jan to april with a weeks break in themiddle. Term Three: april to mid july with a weeks break in the middle. Two week gap in between each Term. Six week off after the third term.
4)Ive never eaten a pie in a tin but they smell amazing and its just because ive yet to try one than actively avoiding them.

HangingBasketCase Mon 18-Aug-14 17:29:24

1) some people do have carpets in bathrooms and even in kitchens, however I don't know many people that do, and it tends to be older people that do it.

2) Schools gets six/seven weeks off in the summer between the end of July and the first week of September, they also get a week in October, 2 weeks at Xmas, a week in Feb, two weeks at Easter and another week in. May.

3) Yes pies on a tin do exist. My dad has been living on them for years, they are tucking disgusting in my opinion though.

There are 3 terms each split into two. So there is one long break in the summer, a couple of weeks at the end of each other term, and a week off half way through each term.

nicename Mon 18-Aug-14 17:32:30

If you have never had a sponge pudding in a tin, you haven't lived!

Can you really get a whole, cooked chicken in a tin in Canada?

My mum had carpet in one of the bathrooms. It was huge and draughty. It never got sopping, in fact it was rather cozy.

ContinentalKat Mon 18-Aug-14 17:34:55

Yes to separate taps. Said taps are sometimes so close to the basin that you can't even get your hands under them.

The same goes for the fact that windows only open to the outside or not at all and prevent you from cleaning your own
windows,

Crisps as a staple part of everybody's diet.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 18-Aug-14 17:35:26

1)Carpet in bathrooms works fine in big bathrooms with plenty of ventilation and people bathing and showering when they are dirty.

It doesn't work in tiny bathrooms like ours or in house where people shower for hours even when clean as the room never dries out.

2) No point in talking to the family of DD1s bully as they thought picking on anyone slightly quirky and different was totally acceptable.

Pity, because he's a nice lad who ended up in lots of avoidable trouble.

3) don't ask, parents and pupils talk of three terms each with a 1/2 term in the middle. Many schools planing talks of six terms.

WillowWoods Mon 18-Aug-14 17:39:24

1. I don't know anyone with bathroom carpet,but did in the 80's.
2. I did talk to a bully's parents,but it was someone I knew and it stopped immediately.
3. Answered.
4. Love pies in a tin! Too much healthy eating now smile

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 17:40:35

I, in all my 36.9 years in Canada, have never seen a whole cooked chicken in a tin, or for sale, or heard of one! shock
and eeewwwwww
Not saying it hasn't happened though!grin

I like separate taps, so you can get super hot or super cold water as you need it.

Thank you for the explanations, I was feeling a bit daft.

One more thing, if I may?
Depositing money at the post office?! Is it connected to your bank account? Or do you have two types of accounts?
Here, a post office is more mail. Just mail.
Money is handled at a bank, or if you don't have an account (extremely rare) you could go to a Western Union or Cash Mart to cash a cheque (but I think they take a percentage)

mumtosome61 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:41:21

Why everyone has to get so fucking het up about the football/smallest national event and spend the month prior hearing nothing else about it.

As much as I think the Olympics/Royal Wedding/Great British Bake Off are fabulous in their own way, I really do not want it rammed down my throat. I don't watch TV live, so I don't even have the advert excuse. You even get it in bloody e-mails now - organisations or newsletters than you receive are full of "Get your bake on!" and other twee shite. BBC One changed their Twitter username to "BBC Bun" the other week, and I just cringed.

None of my friends in France see this, nor my friends in Canada. I can't speak for much else but goodness me, it's unbearable.

/unpopular opinion end

nickelbabe Mon 18-Aug-14 17:41:36

I prefe a carpet in the bathroom - I do not like cold feet.

of course you can't talk to the parents! do you have a deathwish for yourself or your child?! shock

pies in tins, fab - you take the lid off to do the top pastry. you really must try them

half-term is very important to recharge batteries halfway through a long term.

and I prefer separate cold taps - I want to have cpld water straight away without having to run it, and i like to control my own water temperature. you want to mix it? put the bloody plug in!

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 18-Aug-14 17:44:02

We have bathroom carpet put down by previous owner. It stinks of wee. We will be replacing it with naice vinyl.

nickelbabe Mon 18-Aug-14 17:44:25

post office - not linked to bank, but a separate plave to keep/save money.
traditionally more flexible than bank accounts, and meaning your benefits can be received steaight away, their appeal isn't so great these days as we have more choice.

thatsn0tmyname Mon 18-Aug-14 17:45:10

I went to Canada a few years back and they poured real drippy wet butter on my pop corn. Yuk, yuk , yuk!wink I don't understand that

Serenitysutton Mon 18-Aug-14 17:47:08

The post office used to be a nationalised sort of bank- or rather savings and investment type place. You can still bank with them or get a mortgage or whatever, but it's the same as a commercial bank. They used to do a lot more in terms of moving money around - you could pay
Cash all over the place via the post office and lots of people used it to pay their bills.
They also paid out state benefits. Now though, that's all done electronically but some older people still like to use the post office.

Carpet- it is an older generation thing, now it's the sort of thing which would put people off buying your house.
I think it's vile- i remember a plumber telling me how disgusting it is to remove a carpet with 10 years of piss soaked into it. BLEUGH

Serenitysutton Mon 18-Aug-14 17:49:07

(Pies in a tin are not British- in fact I think they're a South American thing. You can still buy them here although god knows who does)

BeachyKeen Mon 18-Aug-14 17:49:17

shock It's not drippy, it is meeeeeeeeelty goodness! Or so I have been told! Some theatres/parks do real butter (yum) some dirty bastards use a "buttery like" substance devil's spunk on theirs.

DayLillie Mon 18-Aug-14 17:51:32

Carpet in bathrooms - a leftover from the 1960s and 70s when fitted carpets were in, and lino out. It was warmer under foot. There is more central heating now.

Talking to bullies parents - fine if you like to be bullied. I once witnessed a scrap outside the school when one mother accused the others child of bullying hers - and we all knew it was the other way around hmm. Head teacher sorted it.

Terms - already explained

Fray Bentos pies in tins - you take the top off and cook it in the tin and the pastry puffs up, like any other pie. Not exactly haute cuisine, but useful to keep in the cupboard in the days before everyone had freezers. They are sort of fun.

Windows - I agree it would be so much better if they opened inwards and you could clean them without going up a ladder. Unfortunately you have to get the 'tilt and turn' ones to do this, and they do not work in other ways. About time all windows did this.

Taps - we have all mixers here now grin

grimbletart Mon 18-Aug-14 17:55:32

Why do people (Americans mostly) go on about separate taps. Mixer taps have been used as routine in Britain for donkey's years. You can of course have separate ones if you prefer.

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 18-Aug-14 17:56:01

I do like separate taps too. You can tell which one is running more by looking rather than having to stick your hand in and hope the cold is running.

houseofstark Mon 18-Aug-14 17:57:41

I don't understand why we are allowed to have our separate countries entering teams into the football and rugby world cups (and probably other sports I can't think of right now!), rather than having a UK team.

Being Welsh, I completely understand why we like it this way (so that the team isn't dominated by the much larger English population). But why is it actually allowed when England, Wales etc aren't countries recognised by the UN, EU, rest of the world.

Is it just because it's always been that way?

frogmore6 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:59:14

Carpet in the bathroom
The drinking culture (too much alcohol).
Children are so rude to the elderly people.
Why people always look so sad - I don't understand!
Small Living rooms (in fact small houses).

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 18-Aug-14 18:00:29

Plenty of people were putting carpet in bathrooms well into the 90s. This place wasn't built uuntil 97!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now