Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you're going to make toad in the hole, don't do this.

(32 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 18-Aug-14 17:14:44

Please use a metal tin. That is all. wine

FruVikingessOla Mon 18-Aug-14 17:21:57

Oh crap, that looks a mess, Bertie sad

Yorkshires always = metal tin.

(I do a Veg In The Hole - no sausages, but largely chopped veg of preferred varieties, lightly stir-fried then made 'in the hole' - it's delicious. Sorry, I veered off-thread there grin)

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:19

Haha i am about to make toad in the hole and was debating about what to use! Like its meant to be@

pieceoftoast Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:44

Oh! I always use, erm, ceramic(? Le Creuset style) oven dishes. Why would this happen when cooking toad in the hole?! I'm sorry about your dinner. Really fancy some toad in the hole myself now...

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 18-Aug-14 17:25:38

Opps, that looks like my attempt at cooking pizza on a Pyrex plate.

It was old and exploded in a similar manner.

FruVikingessOla Mon 18-Aug-14 17:31:10

Le Creuset is cast-iron, so fine to cook a TITH.
But ceramic ware, not so, I think.

catsofa Mon 18-Aug-14 17:33:44

sad Is ceramic not usually fine for this sort of thing? I have no idea and would totally use the wrong thing if I were ever brave enough to even try making something so lovely.

My cat says would you like her to come over and clear it up for you?

Catsmamma Mon 18-Aug-14 17:34:40

ahhhh!!

Similar happened to me, with a pyrex dish. Sausages sizzling nicely, popped it onto the top of the range to put in the batter...as I turned away to put the jug down the dish exploded....batter and glass everywhere and dripping down the front and baking on as it dripped!

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 18-Aug-14 17:36:45

Oh no sad

Tis the oil, it makes it too hot. Other things are OK (lasagne etc) in ceramics. I don't make toad in the hole, my yorkshire pudds are like cardboard sad

pieceoftoast Mon 18-Aug-14 17:38:53

I don't think my fake Le Creuset oven ware is cast iron but I will bear in mind for the future only to use metal tins when making toad in the hole.

Sausages have just been delivered in the courgette van, might have to go and make it. Horrible cold day. I hope you get something nice to eat though Bertie! wine

Hakluyt Mon 18-Aug-14 17:40:28

We have two dishes chez Hakluyt -Rat in the Hole (don't know why rat- ds used to think it was funny) which is delicious, although I say it myself, and Sausage in a Biscuit - which is, strangely, also delicious, but a completely different thing. We never know which one's going to come out of the oven.

PricillaQueenOfTheDessert Mon 18-Aug-14 17:40:52

DM used to call toad in the hole sausage in the toad. Never did find out why.
Sorry to go off post grin

I am pretty good at Sausage Inna Biscuit, Hakluyt. I always use a Pyrex dish and it's never exploded yet. I bet it will do next time, though, to punish me for smugness.

Itsfab Mon 18-Aug-14 17:45:02

I lost my pampered chef dish last week. Had cooked something for the kids and left it on a hot ring. I thought I must move it and I did on to my glass work top saver where it promptly smashed the pampered chef dish clean in half sad.

MrsVamos Mon 18-Aug-14 17:49:11

Ooooh. Poor ruined toad with no hole. sad

I usually do mine in the individual yorkshire pud trays, or I use a cake or muffin tray.

Cherrypi Mon 18-Aug-14 17:53:09

Oh dear. I currently have my first ever Yorkshire puddings cooking in a silicon muffin tray. Is this a mistake?

DPotter Mon 18-Aug-14 18:00:49

OOps
I've cooked toad-in-the-hole in a ceramic dish many times with no problems at all. A high fired ceramic dish has been fired up to 1250 degrees so 180-200 is a walk in the park for cooking. Some ceramic dishes are not high fired but even the low fired ones have been to 1050 degrees.
Wouldn't use my pampered chief one though as it isn't glazed.
Anyway You've given me an idea for dinner !

Ichneesanshee Mon 18-Aug-14 18:03:09

We do toad in the hole in a silicon tray, a big 8" square thing (sits on a flat baking tray too). Before we got the silicon tray we used to use a metal one.

I broke a casserole dish that I'd been given as a leaving present first time I used it by putting it on the hob - I didn't know it couldn't be used on the hob! When still living with my parents we'd always used a Le Creuset casserole dish which could go from hob to oven so I was very disappointed to find that this didn't apply to all casserole dishes...

ScrambledSmegs Mon 18-Aug-14 18:12:32

Oh dear sad. Is your tea salvageable?

I use an old enamel-ware tin I've had for years. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job. They're pretty reasonable as long as you avoid the designer french ones.

BertieBotts Mon 18-Aug-14 18:19:36

Yes it was Pyrex! But I've done it to another one before. I can't remember if that one was pyrex too or not. But XP shouted at me and made me cry sad I didn't cry this time but DH was not sufficiently sympathetic <sulks>

I think it's the sudden change in temperature they can't cope with very well. It was old, too. One of those 70s ones with the little red tulips on.

I have some more hole but don't quite dare do it in the ceramic dish I have... I made DS a toastie and I'm now hungry. Maybe I'll make pancakes instead!

addictedtosugar Mon 18-Aug-14 18:22:47

I've done similar when adding hole to toad.
But it was an old dish, with a slight crack in the glaze, which is what it split along.

Pancakes sound good!
Can you rescue any sausages?

Maybe the dish had developed an invisible crack? That might have made it crack when previously it had been fine.

BertieBotts Mon 18-Aug-14 19:53:45

Maybe, but I think it was just the pyrex that does that. It didn't crack across, the whole sides came off and the bottom shattered into a million pieces.

RetroHippy Mon 18-Aug-14 19:59:20

I did that mixing stock cubes in a glass jug that definitely wasn't Pyrex. The bottom fell out when I picked it up. Hot oxo everywhere.

I use a loaf tin for toads. But it only feeds two, so thank you for the warning in anticipation of one day making toads for four.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 18-Aug-14 21:08:50

I'm guessing batter made with milk out the fridge into very hot dish?

Pyrex is brilliant stuff, but it's not bomb proof especially if old and scratched.

That said I have destroyed a brand new 5l beaker trying to heat very cold water with a very powerful Bunsen burner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now