Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So what happens when the NHS is privatised? Im really clueless.

(150 Posts)
SackAndCrack Mon 18-Aug-14 16:02:00

All I know is, that when I went travelling many moons ago, I came back with a new found respect for the NHS. I watched a man collapse in front of my in Asia smashing his head on the floor doing what looked like considerable damage, laying in a pool of blood the locals pulled him, by the feet, to the side of the road.
I asked if anyone could take him to hospital and they simply said he had no money.

Im not saying the loss of the NHS will mean unconscious people pulled to the side of the road, but it certainly opened my eyes up to how lucky we are.

What happens to those on benefits? What care do they get? What happens to single parents who are leaving hand to mouth?
How does this all work?
What happens to those who barely scrape by, but have a child who has to go to hospital on a regular basis for life threatening conditions?

Are we all going to lose out unless we are flush/wealthy?

Do we still pay national insurance or would you pay insurance? What happens if someone has a heart attack but has no insurance?

SackAndCrack Mon 18-Aug-14 16:03:05

*living hand to mouth

SackAndCrack Mon 18-Aug-14 16:06:01

Also, is it absolutely definitely being privatised?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Aug-14 16:08:06

Dr Philippa Whitford: NO vote will end free NHS f…: youtu.be/esV6pGo8UTI

The NHS is on the brink of extinction – we need to shout about it

gu.com/p/3yjzn

PossumPoo Mon 18-Aug-14 16:08:16

There is a way to make sure those that can't afford medical care can receive it, it doesn't need to be an all or nothing situation.

I'm in London and my experience of the NHS has not been great so while I don't think it would be a good thing for it to go private, something needs to be done as its so hit and miss and it's really not fair, we're all paying for it.

SackAndCrack Mon 18-Aug-14 16:09:16

Im not in a place where I can listen to the video right now but thanks for the link?

Would you be able to explain in a nutshell?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 18-Aug-14 16:15:33

I assume if the NHS was ever privatised then we would end up with some sort of two tier system with a second rate "free system" for the poor whilst those who could afford health insurance would get better treatment....

The NHS needs some sort of reform, it was never intended to do all it does now....

turkeyboots Mon 18-Aug-14 16:16:09

In most European countries people have health insurance. Which at the top end is lovely, fast treatment, nice not stressed doctors, private hospital rooms, all lovely.

If you cannot afford insurance there is usually some sort of means tested public insurance. But it varies and in Ireland for example it can cost about £50 to see a GP and prescriptions are their cost price which can be hundreds of pounds.

And if you are in between v v poor and rich, life is hard and you have to think twice about how much you want to see a doctor if it will take up the weekly food budget.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Aug-14 16:16:32
misstiredbuthappy Mon 18-Aug-14 16:22:26

Most of the dentist s

MewlingQuim Mon 18-Aug-14 16:23:21

Those with health insurance will get lots of treatment they don't really need.

Those without health insurance will not get treatment they do really need.

Everyone I have met who comes from abroad says how great the NHS is. Sadly, support seems to be lacking in this country.

PinkLights Mon 18-Aug-14 16:25:05

Something does need to be done about the NHS.

As a regular user of the NHS, it has failed us in so many ways. We would not be where we were if I didn't pay for private care.

If those working in the NHS want to keep it, they should sort out their admin, training and the way they behave. It is almost as if because it is a public service they think they can do a poor job.

It is not always to do with pay either. I know admin for example are paid similar in private hospitals/clinics and they behave so differently to NHS admin staff.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa Mon 18-Aug-14 16:32:17

MewlingQuim. We have private health insurance and haven't noticed any members of my family get any medical treatment they don't need. That's a very sweeping statement to make and a very wrong assumption, do you know how medical insurance actually works?

PossumPoo Mon 18-Aug-14 17:09:11

I'm not from the UK and I don't think it's good sorry.

PossumPoo Mon 18-Aug-14 17:12:23

And Mewling I find that the case now, people go to the GP for any old reason because they aren't "paying" for it hmm

Pink says it very well, the attitude of NHS staff I've met is generally appalling and if you get someone nice/knowledgeable you are thankful.

capant Mon 18-Aug-14 17:15:02

People like myself who work and earn just enough not to get any benefits, but who have serious chronic health problems, will be fucked.

I didn't go abroad this year as I simply couldn't afford the travel insurance costs which were massive. I won't be able to afford private insurance to cover my medical condition which needs ongoing treatment. And as I am not on benefits, I won't get the treatment those who have no money will get for free.

My Aunt who lives in the US was in a similar position and had to sell her small inexpensive house to pay for enough treatment to live a bit longer.

capant Mon 18-Aug-14 17:16:41

And as someone who has a serious chronic illness that means I am under a consultant probably for the rest of my life, I have found the NHS treatment to be very very good. It didn't used to be, but NICE brought out guidelines 10 years ago that has massively improved treatment for my condition.

misstiredbuthappy Mon 18-Aug-14 17:20:05

Oops sorry wrong thread blush

AlexVause82 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:29

The NHS provides free healthcare, what can be bad about that?

The service (such as A+E waiting times) can be pretty bad.

I'm not very clued up on this, however I pay on average £50 per month National Insurance, isn't this going towards NHS or am I completely wrong? If it is then I am sure I could get bloody good healthcare for £50 per month?

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:25:12

Not sure- I think there are definite pros and cons to it!

It is almost as if because it is a public service they think they can do a poor job

hmm

tar us all with the same brush eh?

I work for the NHS, I have done for 26 years.
It's got busier for me- more patients per session. More admin (we are now on computerised records)
Patients are more high risk (about 90% of the patients I see have diabtes). The patient caseload is getting older as people live longer.
And many do not have a good command of English.

So, they can take longer to treat.
Longer to physically get from A-B to treat.

I spend my lunchbreak catching up with admin. I'm meant to finish at 4.30 but I'm never out before 5pm.

I work 3 days so I cannot leave things till the next day.
We have to do CPD (Continual Professional Development) and Mandatory Training,

There's the risk of downgrading, I'd be doing my job but at a lesser grade (so less money)

I have ongoing health problems myself, but have to carry on.

Why do the NHS staff behave differently to private?
Well yes, Private Medicine is a business.
Some NHS are wankers, I;ve met a few . I've been treated by a few.
But most of us are just plugging along.

PinkLights Mon 18-Aug-14 17:34:49

Sorry for tarring you with the same brush. sad

I have had some horrible experiences in the NHS, and yes I have complained and had apologies or protocol has been changed.

the Commonwealth Fund Health care survey of 11 countries is an interesting read

Scroll down to Exhibit ES-1 Overall Ranking

UK top in most measures & has 2nd lowest per capita spending
US bottom, with highest spending - by a very long way

NB Commonwealth Fund is a US institution

If the NHS can strip out all the suits & introduce a system to make health tourists pay, & this Govt can be prevented from allowing all their pals (& themselves) to profit from privatising various parts, it will be FINE

IrnBruTheNoo Mon 18-Aug-14 17:38:30

If we get the Yes vote it will be okay for Scotland, but if we get a No vote we're well and truly f*cked.

Alex, NI is for:

'The NHS
Unemployment benefit
Sickness and disability allowances
The state pension
NI is supposed to be "ring fenced" - meaning the money raised is only used for these areas and won't be spent on things like building schools or employing police officers.'

& today's contributions pay for current pensions - your own don't go into your own pension fund for later

But the whole principle of the NHS is that it's there when the citizen needs it regardless of the amount they have personally contributed - private insurance isn't the same at all.

And I am personally aware of individual, hard working, respectable Americans who have died of cancer because they earned too much for Medicaid but not enough to pay for the treatment they needed angry - I don't think we want to go down that road

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now