Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Yesterday I failed the Citizenship test.

(231 Posts)
KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 18-Aug-14 14:55:38

I have a colleague who has to take it so she can have UK Citizenship.

Is costing her about 40 hours work just to apply and sit the bloody thing and she has to travel to London to do it.

Out of curiosity I did a practice test. Got about 8 out of 24 correct. And most of them were guesses. Clearly I'll be no help to her.

confused

The questions are weird.

Who gives a feck how many members a jury has in Scotland? Why is that important? Or what Julius Caesar got up to a billion years ago?

hmm

Why can't there be sensible questions about tea and scones and national birds? All seems a bit odd.

JADS Mon 18-Aug-14 15:00:25

Does it include how to make a proper cup of tea? Queuing etiquette? How to use the escalators on the Tube?

These would be useful!

MajesticWhine Mon 18-Aug-14 15:01:44

Is it online - can you link?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 18-Aug-14 15:08:23

Here:

www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1

Only did one page because I was at work on my phone. Might give it another go later after I've Wikipaedia'd Hadrian's Wall which I didn't even know was in the UK.

And, no. Nothing about tea making or queuing. WTF??

AwkwardSquad Mon 18-Aug-14 15:09:34

I've tried and failed several sample citizenship tests. Some of the questions are bizarre and totally useless in terms of day to day life in Britain!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 18-Aug-14 15:09:44

There's a queuing thread on AIBU at the moment btw, and it had me laughing my arse off!!

grin

Amaxapax Mon 18-Aug-14 15:13:04

The Life in the UK test used to be all about lovely things like making cups of tea, pop culture and knowledge of traditional pub etiquette. However, with all the fuss about immigration, they've now made it much more challenging and something like 70% of the questions are about British history. I had lived in the UK for about seven years when I took the test last year, and I felt quite lucky to pass!

AlleyCat11 Mon 18-Aug-14 15:16:06

Escalators on the Tube, JADS. When I first moved to London, I said "I'll bloody well stand where I like!". I soon learned...

SuperScrimper Mon 18-Aug-14 15:18:56

I think part of it is just the effort. They want to see that people will actually study and learn enough to pass. The questions aren't hard, but they aren't the sort of things you would just know, so they can easily tell if you've done any work for it or not.

If people can't even be bothered to study enough to pass, what is actually very easy, you have to really question their commitment.

TOADfan Mon 18-Aug-14 15:19:16

I live in Northern Ireland. I'm British but don't know a lot of English, Scottish or Welsh information. I would totally fail.

Whiskwarrior Mon 18-Aug-14 15:20:30

My SIL failed her Citizenship test a couple of years ago. It cost her a fortune to buy the textbook involved, pay for the test, etc.

The fact that she's worked her arse off since she got here, is married to a UK citizen, has a daughter that is an UK citizen, speaks better bloody English than some people who were born here and pays her taxes obviously means nothing if she doesn't know some random dates and facts from 300 years ago.

I think everyone in the country who was born here should have to sit the test, under the same conditions as those who want citizenship - it would show what an utter farce that test is.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 18-Aug-14 15:21:09

It had a nice one about Christmas pudding!

Feck if I know the mame of hillfort's on Hadrian's wall though - and one of them is clearly a made up word!

lizandlulu Mon 18-Aug-14 15:22:08

Ive just got 18 out of 25, I passed but it was the lowest score able to pass.
A lot of my answers were guesses, some were really difficult nd some were dead easy

It is daft.

And some of the 'answers' are just wrong. My mate (who is a historian of English history, so does know what she's talking about) did it earlier this year, and found it intensely annoying that you don't really learn useful things, so much as what the test wants you to imagine is wonderful about Britain.

I think it would be much better to have a test that focussed on practical things. It could include history/culture, but in a sensible way, eg., why do people observe a minute's silence on November 11th? - rather than stupid questions about the Huguenots.

Shesparkles Mon 18-Aug-14 15:27:10

I think you're right about the question being about tea and scones though, pronounce scone to rhyme with moan, and that's it, you're out!

Terrierterror Mon 18-Aug-14 15:27:29

I just tried it. I can't see what the problem is.

Really?

The final question is such a load of patronizing bollocks.

I mean, sure, lovely idea, we all wish it were true, but come on ...!

(Last on page 1, that is. I didn't click over).

tobiasfunke Mon 18-Aug-14 15:32:39

I got 23. One of them was what age could you buy fags. But the questions are so stupid. Some of them are so ridiculously specific. The question about which women could vote in 1928 or how old is Big Ben- over 150 or over 180 years old? It's like they took them from an old O-level History paper.

Nomama Mon 18-Aug-14 15:35:55

Wow! Carving pumpkins; The Enlightenment... I am really well read, I have books of all sorts on the go all the time. I am Kipling's Elephant's Child... but some of that stuff is so out of my experience...

It must take hours of study to pass it and minutes to work out it is of very little actual use!

(And that made up name is one of the real forts on Hadrian's Wall smile)

Doobledootch Mon 18-Aug-14 15:36:07

I got 87%

The history questions are a bit random, and I didn't realise they'd raised the age at which you could buy cigarettes to 18. Why would I know this when I don't smoke or work somewhere that sells cigarettes?

Terrierterror Mon 18-Aug-14 15:37:05

If you're trying to get across a brief history of the UK, a description of how our laws are made and some general cultural stuff it's not so bad.

slithytove Mon 18-Aug-14 15:37:13

17/24 on the first page, failed.

Stupid stupid questions

TinyTear Mon 18-Aug-14 15:37:33

I just did 3 of them and passed the 3...
I am not British - I am from the EU and want to get citizenship in a few years when I am not paying nursery fees... good to know they aren't very difficult

TinyTear Mon 18-Aug-14 15:38:15

And regarding the forts question, i went by elimination, Skara Brae is in the Orkneys, and Sutton Hoo I knew was somewhere in the south, so the other two had to be right
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now