Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ice cream in London, Harrods or Fortnum & Mason Parlours or elsewhere?

(33 Posts)
ballisticskid Mon 18-Aug-14 13:44:26

As part of a day out in London want to go somewhere for ice cream with 7 year old and DH. Must be sit down. Reviews for Harrods and F&M all say food is great but service often shocking. Any thoughts?

Eastpoint Mon 18-Aug-14 13:47:14

I've been to the icecream parlour at Fortnums, it was delicious & if you have a coffee a mini icecream cone is included. They also do toasted cheese sandwiches, if I recall correctly & chocolate fondue.

SleepySuitcaseSheepie Mon 18-Aug-14 13:55:22

Chocolate bar in Harrods!

grumblepuss Mon 18-Aug-14 13:59:18

Marine ices opposite the roundhouse in chalk farm is lovely.

KnittedJimmyChoos Mon 18-Aug-14 14:04:54

www.bbbakery.co.uk/our-bakeries/bb-covent-garden/

is lovely, have not tried F and M or harrods ice cream bars, but harrods can be really disappointing for customer service fortnums looks really lovely thoough

tonsattingforbjudes Mon 18-Aug-14 14:12:35

If the sitting down doesn't have to be posh, the best ice cream (well, gelato actually) in London is to be found, after extensive testing at Gelateria3bis in Borough Market....plenty of space to sit and at the tiny Gelatorino just off Covent Garden, where you can watch them churning and stirring the delicious stuff. Only a handful of small tables there though.

PseudoBadger Mon 18-Aug-14 14:22:43

Gelupo in soho

babybat Mon 18-Aug-14 14:42:33

You can make your own Magnum in Selfridges at the moment, think it costs about £4?

babybarrister Mon 18-Aug-14 14:48:03

Oddonos - various branches including round corner from natural history museum and you can sit down!

babybarrister Mon 18-Aug-14 14:49:59

Forgot to say Odonnos also in selfridges - read the reviews excellent stuff!

Guitargirl Mon 18-Aug-14 14:52:21

I took the DCs for ice-cream at Harrods after our Father Christmas visit there last year. It was eye-wateringly expensive which I knew beforehand. But still. Nice though. Haven't tried the F&M one.

VirtualPointyHat Mon 18-Aug-14 15:00:35

SNOG

SloanePeterson Mon 18-Aug-14 15:00:35

I took dd for an ice cream in harrods last winter. Was nice enough, but I was pretty shocked when I handed over cash for our order when I placed it, as I could see they were busy and we were in a hurry and didn't want to hang around for a bill, and it wasn't enough, they add a service charge at about 20% I think as standard. Bloody ice cream cost me about £27 for one shock. Admittedly, it was for a special occasion, and she'll always remember it, but sticking a sparkler on top of a knickerbocker glory does not make it gold plated. There was a very slow moving queue when we went too, and we felt rather rushed once we'd finished as the queue was right by our table and the people who'd been waiting a long time were eyeballing us to get the hell out. I find harrods hellish tbh, there are better places.

ElizabethLemon Mon 18-Aug-14 15:07:49

Oddonos definitely. There's one in selfridges and they're all around the city too. Yum!

ballisticskid Tue 19-Aug-14 12:14:10

Oh OK, thanks for the ideas everyone. Am less interested in the quality of the ice cream, more about somewhere to sit down where she can eat something savoury and some ice cream and we can have a snack.

Frikadellen Tue 19-Aug-14 12:26:38

Harrods icecream parlour. Wr try to go once a year its eye wateringly expensive but kids look forward to it all year.

we havr aleays had lovely service.

babybarrister Tue 19-Aug-14 12:31:46

Lots of good places to eat in self ridges - frankly much better food than Harrods IMO .
Alternatively go to Bocca de Lupo in Soho and the gelupo which is opposite - you will need to book!

Whatisaweekend Tue 19-Aug-14 12:47:41

I thought the ice cream at Fortnums was awful. Bland, tasteless and some flavours slightly grainy. Took hours to queue for a table, too.

Caveat: I come from the South West so I knowwhat good ice cream tastes like!!

bluestrawhat Tue 19-Aug-14 12:50:39

Think I'd go to Haagen Dazs in Leicester Square. Better value, great ice cream and still a nice experience.

There used to be a Haagen Dazs in Bluewater - DD and I went.
It was nice enough, not earth shattering, but a sit down place.
We knew what we were getting (well the ice-cream anyway) but they do loads of nice desserts.
I'll have a look at the Leicester Sq one......

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 19-Aug-14 12:57:11

Oh no avoid haagen daz!!!

bb bakery is lovely op, have you lookedt pics its just off covent gardem

That BB Bakery, though £29/per person for afternoon tea shock

My DC would trough a HD but not the afternoon tea (and I'd come out £120 poorer)

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 19-Aug-14 13:06:29

Ham and cheese baguette 6 pounds, burger 12 pounds, salads 6 pounds, teas and hot chocolates up to 3.50 cakes 3.50 to 4.90....

and its individual and beautiful.

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 19-Aug-14 13:08:13

otherwise just walk round soho, loads of pretty little places there

ballisticskid Tue 19-Aug-14 13:10:14

Actually the "all girls like cupcake, especially rainbow cupcake" really put me off that place - I'm sure it's nice, but really not for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now