Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Soup maker

(11 Posts)
Gramgram Mon 18-Aug-14 11:35:09

I love soups but often find the ready made ones too salty. So should I buy a soup maker?

If so what kind do you recommend?

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 18-Aug-14 11:52:58

I just use a pan and a stick blender- soup makers look to me like expensive gadgets that will be a bugger to clean and take up cupboard space.

I like the Covent Garden soup recipe books - there are at least two or three. Or millions of recipes online - you could just make without salt and use salt to taste at the end.

Squidstirfry Mon 18-Aug-14 12:00:50

Mmmm homemade soups!

I use a traditional moulinette for mine. All soups.

Wannabeaninja3 Mon 18-Aug-14 12:02:26

I just use a pan aswell, then blend it if you want.

No need for expensive soup makers when you already have a pan smile

DogCalledRudis Mon 18-Aug-14 12:02:48

I had a soup maker but it just broke down...
Otherwise it was excellent for blended soups.

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 18-Aug-14 12:07:41

I know a few people who have soup makers and swear by them. I'm in agreement with the posters above though. Pan and stick blender.

runningonwillpower Mon 18-Aug-14 12:08:22

For sure, home made soup is the best.

But what's a soup maker?

Is this a poncey new term for a blender that most of us have in our kitchen anyway?

Don't go buying a "soup maker". Get an all purpose kitchen gadget that will service many uses.

MehsMum Mon 18-Aug-14 12:54:10

Another vote for pan and stick blender: we were given one for a wedding present and when it finally died, after many years of hard use, I had to replace it asap.

Homemade soup is the best, and dead easy to make. A friend of mine advised to always begin with an onion fried gently in butter, and that is still the base of most of my soups.

Gramgram Mon 18-Aug-14 18:22:54

Thank you everyone, off to dig out the stick blender from the back of the cupboard.

maddy68 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:28:54
Voodoobooboo Mon 18-Aug-14 18:29:45

I'm going to go against the grain here as I love my soup maker. It is the only gadget my DM has ever bought (and believe me they ar many and varied. I can barely open the cupboard under the stairs) that I use and I wouldn't be without it during the winter. I've always made a lot of soup, hence the present and was not optimistic. However soup is much quicker and easy to make, you don't have to faff with stick blenders, etc and it is basically self cleaning (fill with soapy water and put onto a short simmer).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now