Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone encapsulated their own placenta?

(172 Posts)

I really want to have my placenta encapsulated this time, I have been looking into it, and rather than pay someone to do it, I am thinking of doing it myself, it looks quite simple!
Has anyone done this? Any hints/tips/good links?
Do I need to sterilise everything?

Blondieminx Mon 18-Aug-14 10:11:18

Good god no.

I did take pregnacare and spatone for 6wks post birth though. Far less faff!

grin @ preciousbane

shushpenfold Mon 18-Aug-14 10:12:23

No, but I did once discombobulate my lady garden....never looked the same after that.

TalcumPowder Mon 18-Aug-14 10:12:55

The surgeon who did my c-section said I had produced a particularly splendid placenta - I went way overdue and there were the usual concerns about the placenta starting to fail - so DH and I duly admired it as we cuddled our son and discussed whether it would contravene our vegetarianism if we ate it. My conclusion was that I could eat my own placenta and remain purely veggie, because it's my own body part.

I think there's a photograph of it somewhere.

punygod Mon 18-Aug-14 10:23:49

All this makes biting your toenails suddenly ok.

punygod Mon 18-Aug-14 10:24:22

Shushpenfold grin

SublimeCorpse Mon 18-Aug-14 10:28:21

I thought "encapsulating" your placenta meant having it suspended in a Perspex block or something, and displaying it in your home.

Then I clicked on that link shock

BreadForBrains Mon 18-Aug-14 10:28:27

No I didnt, I find the whole concept nauseating, and in the modern world we have access to all sorts of vitamins and supplements if you feel like you really need them, without resorting to eating ones own organs.
When it's all spread out on the tray it looks like dog food.
I know someone who had two trees planted in her garden. Underneath them were her placentas confused

figgypuddings Mon 18-Aug-14 10:33:16

Sublime, I thought that as well, then clicked on the link.

Kirstie missed a proper furniture for free trick there and wouldn't have to go raking in a skip. Just cover the thing in resin bonding and voila, a hostess trolley if you add wheels.

LaChatte Mon 18-Aug-14 10:38:30

Doesn't freezing, defrosting, steaming, baking and blending it annihilate any goodness in it, defying the whole point?

Shonajay Mon 18-Aug-14 10:41:24

I think it would actually be a beautiful piece of art if it were encased in lucite.

aurynne Mon 18-Aug-14 10:43:50

First: it is not even your own organ, it is actually tissue from your baby. So you wouldn't be "eating part of yourself", but eating part of your baby instead, which is even more weird.

Second: mammals eat their placenta not because "it is full of good stuff", but to prevent predators smelling the afterbirth and coming closer.

Third: there is no evidence whatsoever that placenta is good for you. It's not "full of good stuff", it's just blood and chorionic tissue which starts decomposing as soon as it comes out of you. If you want to compare it to anything, bloood sausage is a good one.

quietlysuggests Mon 18-Aug-14 10:55:56

Loving your work here punygod.

MehsMum Mon 18-Aug-14 13:14:04

Now, I took a long and very interested look at one of my placentas but the idea of eating one... <bleurgh in corner> Folks, we need a vomit emoticon.

If you want to eat yours, good luck to you. Just expect me to go green if you tell me about it.

MehsMum Mon 18-Aug-14 13:16:05

PS punygod, no, it doesn't make toenail-biting acceptable. It just means that there's something even more vom-inducing going on out there. Eeeeuw!

Kimaroo Mon 18-Aug-14 13:23:58

I always thought placentas were the colour and texture of frog-spawn so imagine my horror when I caught sight of the bloody raw placenta from dd2 lying at the bottom of the bed. I really thought my organs had come away hence the excruciating pain! grin
My friend had hers in the fridge for a few weeks for snacking purposes and berated me often for not having the foresight to scoop mine up when I had the chance. Bleurgh. I was always wary about being invited round there for tea haha.

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Aug-14 13:25:40

I thought "encapsulating" your placenta meant having it suspended in a Perspex block or something, and displaying it in your home.

Me too! My home isn't stylish enough to carry off such a piece of art. grin

My midwife insisted on showing me DS2s placenta in great detail...I really couldn't have cared, I would much rather have taken a look at my baby who had just popped out, but felt it would be rude not to.

If you rearlly want to do something with your placenta, plant it under a rose bush or something.

Do people consume the placenta in parts of the world where food is scarce? Some how I doubt it, and that tells me all I need to know.

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Aug-14 13:28:47

Having googled, burying placentas seems to be common practice all over the world....would make sense if you didn't want a wild animal to sniff you out and come and gobble up your new baby.

AnAwfullyGoodOxymoron Mon 18-Aug-14 13:38:14

I haven't done it personally. However my other half's cousin paid someone to encapsulate hers with her most recent baby. I think it cost around £100. She got 98 pills from hers. It varies with size of placenta.

She said it made all the difference to her, gave her massive energy boosts, not a sign of pnd which she had badly with her first two children. She also had great milk supply this time too.

She was training to be a midwife at the time so was studying a lot and pulling 12 hour shifts at the hospital 2 weeks after giving birth.

She honestly couldn't speak more positively about encapsulation. With another two children as well as a newborn to deal with she says she couldn't have coped without. Well worth the money.

punygod Mon 18-Aug-14 13:50:42

To encapsulate can mean to describe in such a way as to really capture the essence of something.

My placenta was utterly minging.

There you go, I just encapsulated my own placenta, live on the thread.

Kimaroo Mon 18-Aug-14 14:12:50

I would be too cynical to send mine away. I bet they throw it away because it would be minging when they received it, and then send you some capsules containing dried Tesco value mince.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Aug-14 14:17:32

Why not just have some multivitamins?? Why on earth go to the faff of steaming/baking/blending it? A monumental waste of electricity if ever there was one.

My placenta from DC1 was massive - one of the biggest the midwife had ever seen <preen>

punygod Mon 18-Aug-14 14:23:14

Dunno though, I'm starting to envisage an interesting episode of Great British Bake Off.

Imagine Mary's face if you didn't bring your own, though. She was disgusted enough by shop-bought fondant.

Kimaroo Mon 18-Aug-14 14:28:52

Just had a horrible image of Waitrose delicatessen in the future shock
You know what they're like about promoting natural products.

leadrightfoot Mon 18-Aug-14 14:30:33

Whatever rocks your boat - not my cup of tea.
I'd be more concerned as to how this was done and how you know that all the instruments machines and and so on were cleaned STERILISED properly before and after use (or chucked!) especially if the same person were processing multiple placentas from different women.
Also realistically it is going to decay pretty rapidly - there is no blood supply to it once it has been delivered so time must be of the essence here ....
Freezing it - well OK but this is a hefty chunk of tissue - it is not going to last that long in a normal freezer and also there will be damage to it when you defrost it - same as for meat in a freezer. How does that affect it? Same for dehydration and so on ....
Just think the processing it is going through would render almost all nutrients and so on null and void

punygod Mon 18-Aug-14 14:33:10

"No Jonquil! You had placenta last week! I know it's your favourite. Here, have some dried organic umbilical stumps to nibble on. Soooo full of vitamins."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now