Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Worried about dog in morning, big operation

(11 Posts)
Shnookum Sun 17-Aug-14 23:51:51

Posted in doghouse but thought I'd try here too.

I'm so worried about my boxer dog. He has a hard lump the size of a tennis ball seemingly attached to his ribs that has grown rapidly over the last few weeks. He has had a mast cell tumour removed from his ear three years ago too which had some malignant cells.

Just before this lump appeared I took him to the vets as he was drinking an excessive amount of water. Blood tests showed nothing out of the ordinary, but the lump has appeared since then, like I say. His water habit has calmed right down though.

Anyway, I am rambling I know, but I love my handsome, ultra cuddly, fantastic with my children dog and I am worried he has something really serious going on.

The lump couldn't be aspirated - the vet tried for ages with no success whatsoever, so rather than him having an op to biopsy then one again to remove we are going straight for lumpectomy.

Has anyone got any positive stories of sinister seeming lumps being completely benign? I'm worried as he will have to have sections of rib removed too. My poor baby.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this but I just wanted to wish he and you all the best for tomorrow. It's normal to be worried. He is part of your family and he's ill flowers

Coumarin Mon 18-Aug-14 00:34:06

thanks You poor thing, I really sympathise with what you're feeling. My dog had an op a cou

Coumarin Mon 18-Aug-14 00:37:42

Posted by accident.

My dog had an op a couple of months ago and I was so worried. I don't have personal experience of the type if problem your dog has but my friends dog has had a benign lump removed and was told they're quite common. Obviously only the vet can tell you either way and this OP will give you the answers you need.

This time tomorrow he'll be back home, sleepy but safe and you can give him all the love he needs. Try not to worry, one step at a time and all that. x

Coumarin Mon 18-Aug-14 00:39:29

Btw, has he had his pee checked? My dog drank tons of water when he had bladder stones. Presumably that's one if the first things they'd have done though.

cake for your dog and wine for you.

fackinell Mon 18-Aug-14 01:34:17

Nothing to offer but good luck!! He will be fine FX. smilethanks

Shnookum Mon 18-Aug-14 09:53:57

sad the vet I originally saw said to book the operation in with the more experienced vet who might decide a different course of action on the day, which I did. Sadly, he is not going to remove it all today as even if it was something serious (which he thinks is sadly very likely) they can't remove it all easily as it is so attached to his rib. They are doing a biopsy and a couple of X-rays instead to see what they are playing with. At least it won't be major surgery today.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

fackinell Mon 18-Aug-14 10:02:50

Oh Shnookum sad I hope the biopsy is clear. You must be so worried.

JadeJ123 Mon 18-Aug-14 10:05:25

Many years ago my female boxer had a tumour from not being spayed and they managed to remove it and got her spayed at the same time! She recovered well but then died of a brain tumour 2 years later sad sending hugs your way op

Shnookum Tue 19-Aug-14 22:28:26

Sorry to hear about your boxer, Jade. Boxers seem to have so many health issues, but what a loveable breed!

We are still none the wiser but on a positive note it isn't actually attached to his rib, according to the xray, so at least we can rule out osteosarcoma.

Hopefully we will have a positive plan of action by Friday.

foxdongle Tue 19-Aug-14 22:37:19

Hope it all goes well. Sending positive vibes thanks
I have a whippet and one of his mates is a lovely Boxer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now