Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My children don't eat fruit and I don't care

(37 Posts)
PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sun 17-Aug-14 21:15:48

Please allow me a small rant.

I am seeing a lot of my extended family at the moment so this is particularly bugging me. I realise fruit is good for you and it would be nice if my children could be like every other child (apparently) and eat fruit till it is coming out of their ears but they don't bloody like it, especially the youngest, who cries if she sees a banana hmm. Or rather cries at people repeatedly bugging her to "just try" it. They eat vegetables, meat, fish, even bloody sushi but they don't like fruit and that is ok. Or rather, they like two specific exotic fruits that aren't always available - fair enough to my mind.

The <looks> I am getting when I breezily explain they don't like fucking watermelon or greengages or whatever - so fucking what. Yes it is surprising they don't like grapes as most kids do - I get that. Stop. Bloody. Going. On. About. It.

Ugh.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sun 17-Aug-14 21:16:31

That feels better, thank you!

DurhamDurham Sun 17-Aug-14 21:18:51

Neither of my girls, who are now grown up, enjoyed eating fruit. They love vegetables though so it never bothered me. Used to upset other people though I'm not sure why. I used to be given lots of advice about making them eat fruit, which I ignored. As long as their diet is a healthy balanced one I don't think it's helpful to get too caught up in getting children to eat what they don't enjoy.

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Sun 17-Aug-14 21:21:11

You could say it is healthier not to eat fruit as they are avoiding all those dastardly sugars that are going to kill us. As long as they eat veg, then they are getting plenty of nutrients and vitamins.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sun 17-Aug-14 21:21:34

Totally agree Durham, thank you! I just don't understand why anyone else is bothered.

Zippidydoodah Sun 17-Aug-14 21:21:36

Veggies are better than fruit. Mine love fruit but hate veg and I'd sooooo much rather they were the other way round!

whats4teamum Sun 17-Aug-14 21:22:32

I hate fruit. I love veg. My children devour tonnes of fruit. I don't think it's a problem. Fruit is full of sugar naturally occurring or otherwise. Sugar is sugar.

I hope someone more expert can explain this .

Letthemtalk Sun 17-Aug-14 21:23:00

One of my daughters loves fruit, today has had 3 doughnut peaches, a nectarine, an apple and an orange. The other has had 3 bags of strawberry haribo. Oh well.

FannyFifer Sun 17-Aug-14 21:24:05

I dislike the majority of fruit but eat loads of veg.

Dd pretty much only eats bread at the minute.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Sun 17-Aug-14 21:26:13

Oh good, more support - someone tell my mum, please the woman whose diet consists of white bread, jam and tea

Rockinghorse123 Sun 17-Aug-14 21:28:35

I feel your pain. DS is 19mo and won't even put fruit in his mouth. He will eat veg until it's coming out his ears so I'm not bothered I just keep trying now and again without making any fuss. FIL is obsessed and goes to great lengths to encourage DS to eat fruit which just upsets him. I don't get why it matters if they eat plenty veg and have a good diet generally.

FannyFifer Sun 17-Aug-14 21:29:35

I can't stand the texture of a lot of fruit, the thought of biting an apple, the feel of it on my teeth, yuk.

Oranges also, I chew & chew then left with the skin stuff in my mouth.

flanjabelle Sun 17-Aug-14 21:31:16

If they eat veg, what on earth is the issue?? Veg is much better for you than fruit.

The only problem I can see could be that they are eating a lot of sugary foods to get the sweetness they could get from fruit? If not, then yanbu op!

PenisesAreNotPink Sun 17-Aug-14 21:32:51

Fruit isn't particularly healthy - apart from berries which represent a good set of vitamins

We don't need fruit at all, we really need to eat 7 portions of veg

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 17-Aug-14 21:33:06

Isn't fruit just veg with sugar in it?
Ds doesn't eat much either, I don't care he eats all veg (way more than 5 a day) he just doesn't really have a sweet tooth in general.
My friend has a dd with brown top teeth, she said the dentist said fruit acid was to blame.

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Sun 17-Aug-14 21:37:08

I don't eat fruit. Veggies (lots of, varied) yes, fruit no. I can tolerate apples and grapes at a push, but would never choose to eat them. Practically all other fruit I won't put in my mouth (sensory issues, texture rather than taste).

I don't think it's a biggie, and I think many people have absorbed the fruit-is-healthy message and now eat too much. I sort of think it should be a dessert or side dish rather than an anytime snack.

My DC love virtually all fruit, but they're not allowed free access to it.

MrsKoala Sun 17-Aug-14 21:37:41

I am joining your gang. DS (nearly 2) hates fruit. There isn't any fruit he likes. He used to eat some but gradually has refused all.

This according to everyone is very strange. All kids love fruit because it's just sugar basically sweet.

Actually fruit is over rated. I've never been bothered by the majority of it.

Veg on the other hand he loves (as do i). Spinach, pulses, cauli, broc, every veg i have given him he loves and we eat loads. We go to toddler groups and snack time comes round and it's trays of fecking fruit. They offer him some, he says no, carries on playing, they ask me if he wants banana instead. I say no thanks he doesn't eat fruit. Everyone gaasps and looks at me like i give him wotsits for breakfast. I say he eats plenty of veg, cheese, fish, meat, liver, porridge, etc just not fruit. They then say 'what about strawberries' <me polite smile> 'no, really. he eats NO fruit' <pause> 'grapes' <shake head> 'no, none, thanks anyway' 'errrrr peaches?'....aaaaaahhhhh.

gamerchick Sun 17-Aug-14 21:38:12

Mine won't eat fruit either amongst other things, he's a pain in the arse to feed full stop. I give him multi vits liquid and fish oils. He's a big strapping lad and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm so far.

Tell them to knob off.

FunLovinBunster Sun 17-Aug-14 21:40:41

3 bags of Haribo. shock
In comparison to that not liking fruit but eating lots of veg pales into insignificance.

MrsKoala Sun 17-Aug-14 21:41:02

I read an article once which said people who preferred veg to fruit were more healthy/had a better diet, because fruit was sweet and that people who like fruit also have a sweet tooth and would eat sugar and cake. But people who prefer veg have a less sweet tooth and would not also enjoy cake quite as much as their fruit loving peers.

Letthemtalk Sun 17-Aug-14 21:43:34

3 little bags of haribo, not 3 ordinary bags!

All of the fuss people make on here, yet it comes to a 'guilty pleasures' thread, or a 'What do you eat while your DH is away?' and everyone admits that basically they prefer to live of a diet of sandwiches, crisps, supernoodles and takeaway curry. All of these children will grow up and eat exactly what they want, no matter what we force them to eat anyway.

Preciousbane Sun 17-Aug-14 21:53:15

I think pink lady apples have the equivalent of six teaspoons of sugar in them.

Worked in a Dentist for years and am a one piece of fruit person a day max for dc straight after dinner. Have helped with too many small dc having their teeth removed.

I would ban raisins especially as toddlers tend to graze on them over protracted time periods.

Looby2k Sun 17-Aug-14 21:53:59

I have a different problem. Ds1 LOVES fruit but is severely allergic to all tree and vine fruit. The last time my DM gave him a nectarine he was in hospital for four days. He is now 10. Vegetable only diet hasn't done him any harm and actually, thinking about it, he doesn't have the same tooth problems as my other dcs.
People still don't believe that he is allergic though.

BIWI Sun 17-Aug-14 21:55:38

Vegetables are much better for them than fruit. Fruit has too much sugar.

Far better that they eat veg and eschew fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now