Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

plantar fasciitis and shoes

(75 Posts)

have been referred for physio which is a couple of weeks wait but all of the shoes I own are really flat. I don't really like to wear sandals or anything that showd toes either is there anything that will help, I'm desperate. the painkillers the doctor gave me are making me sleep constantly so it's either sleep or in pain at the minute short of chopping my foot off

shoofly Sun 17-Aug-14 19:38:51

Cans of soft drinks really cold out of the fridge and put them on the floor rolling them back and forth with the arch of your foot will help with the pain. I sympathise as I have lived in birkenstocks since June and it's wrecking my feet.

will try that was doing it with a frozen bottle but can might be smoother! see I hardly ever wear sandals as hate toes being on show plus it's almost autumn haha I've got some trainers but they don't seem to help so was considering buying something new that might help

ghostmous3 Sun 17-Aug-14 19:44:17

Oh i get this and ive suffered for a few years now. Not been to a doctor yet because theres nothing they can do for me really, i feel embarrassed to go because ive been there a lot recently.

It hurts when im not even on my feet, i cant work because i cant stand or walk for long periods of time.

All the best op, hope the pain improves

ghostmous3 Sun 17-Aug-14 19:45:20

I am 4 stone overweight, will losing weight help me?

Happy36 Sun 17-Aug-14 19:46:29

Try something with a 1 to 1.5 inch heel - perhaps wedges? In summer months there are espadrille type ones which don´t necessarily have open toes.

I suffer from plantar fasciitis and use the ice on the surface of my feet regularly, also stretch out my feet in the mornings when I wake up and put my feet up on a box or footstool if I am sitting at a desk, which I find helps. With regard to footwear I try to vary the shoes I wear from day to day which also seems to nip any potential pain in the bud.

Asics and Nike Air Max have worked best for me in terms of trainers. Obviously anything like Converse is excruciatingly painful.

Good luck! Ice is your friend...

Happy36 Sun 17-Aug-14 19:48:40

ghostmous3 P.F. is usually worse when resting rather than standing and often goes away completely when walking or running.

Losing weight may help your general health but I´m not certain it will help the P.F. significantly as I suffer and I´m not overweight; I have a friend and a brother who have it too and they are both slim.

sad I love my converse, but I've done the walk to town, round town and home and want to chop my foot off so obviously they suck. I am currently losing weight at the minute (or have been I seem to be stuck right now) as weight can be a contributor but the main factor seems to be the flat shoes. will look at those trainers thanks. the doctor was a last resort as I was hobbling about crying, got given codeine but it puts me to sleep within twenty minutes of taking it which isn't ideal

BogeyNights Sun 17-Aug-14 19:52:29

My DH suffers with this. Although he doesn't so much now.
He followed this set of 6 exercises religiously each morning for several weeks and now he hardly has any pain. we found them on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStuJAu0a20

piratecat Sun 17-Aug-14 19:55:12

insoles that raise your arches.

wear them in every pair of shoes you own.

Birkenstocks and Fit Flops helped me in summer.

I have Fit Flop trainers. I have insoles in my slippers.

a small heel, never wear flats again. it doesn't work, converse are a no no, possibly the worst for PF. pita, i know.

Cereal0ffender Sun 17-Aug-14 19:55:12

Go to a podiatrist and get some orthotics

I love my Birkenstocks for PF and I love them, it's like instant relief purring them on, but as you don't want your toes out that doesn't help!
I wear asics trainers to work which have a good support sole,
I saw a podiatrist for my PF and had some bespoke insoles made which go inside my trainers
I would advise against ballet pump or completely flat shoes.
The physio will prob give you stretching exercises, and I second the cold cans!

Oh, and the podiatrist advised me to loose weight blush

putting not purring

Fedupnagging Sun 17-Aug-14 19:59:50

I occasionally suffer for this and would second fit flops. I also had inserts made to fit in my winter boots which helped. They can also be purchased from boots.

Hope it improves soon flowers

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 17-Aug-14 20:00:27

Bear with me a moment, this is not as crazy as it sounds, have you tried a gluten free diet? Have a google, there seems to be an autoimmune component to this condition (at least for some people), with a connection between it and undiagnosed/untreated Coeliac and possibly thyroid disorders.

Blatherskite Sun 17-Aug-14 20:01:12

My physio suggested I get a small ball like a bouncy ball or squash ball and roll the sore bits on the heel of my foot with it regularly. It really helped.

Orthotics would definitely help.

will look at all of these things I am literally willing to try anything right now. don't know why I hate having my toes out just always have! will check out exercise videos also.

hidinginthecupboard Sun 17-Aug-14 20:02:31

Hi, I have this it's horrible. I have binned all my ballerina style flats as I just can't wear them anymore. Fitflop shoes (Due I think they are called, like ballerina but with chunky sole?) really help me as do insoles for my other shoes and my converse. Stretches help a lot too.

ContinentalKat Sun 17-Aug-14 20:03:03

I have these www.scholl.co.uk/home/foot-care/insoles-and-arch-supports/orthaheel/orthaheel-gel-heel-pain-relief.aspx and wear them in trainers. Really made a difference.

When the pain was really bad I couldn't have walked in sandals or Birkenstocks.

MollyBdenum Sun 17-Aug-14 20:12:57

Birkenstocks make mine loads worse! I was hobbling for a week the last time I wrote mine for anything other than nipping out to the corner shop. I can wear Converse with orthotics, but not without.

I would love to be able to wear my converse. I am hobbling everywhere

Wh0dathunkit Sun 17-Aug-14 20:16:53

I went to my local Sweatshop (a running store), where they took some interesting pics of my dodgy old feet, confirming that I have dropped arches. They also custom made me some insoles. I tried out a large number of trainers until I found a pair which felt like they were encouraging my feet to fall completely differently than they do naturally. The pair that worked for me were Nike Lunareclipse 4. I went out on Friday, and was actually physically able to stand up for the entire evening. First time in about a year. The symptoms are much better since I started wearing them, I just need to find a pair I can discretely wear in the office, now.
I'm going to have a look at the youtube exercises too - thanks for starting this thread grin

Blatherskite Sun 17-Aug-14 20:19:39

Those insoles are called Foot Balance Wh0dathunkit I think most Sweatshop stores do them. I know my local one does.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Aug-14 20:20:50

I find Skechers Shape Ups to be very helpful. I had PF for two years and these are the only shoes I could wear.

I also have prescribed orthotic insoles, but the shoes have been a lifesaver as I could barely walk due to the pain.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 17-Aug-14 20:23:10

Try doing some stretches calves, hamstrings etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now