Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

dp and i cant agree on flooring for the lounge

(28 Posts)
noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 18:54:40

i want to get lovely, thick wood effect lino. its warm, its soft, and easy to clean up after 4 kids and an ever moulting dog. dp reckons we should get proper real wood flooring. what do you guys think????

angelohsodelight Sun 17-Aug-14 19:13:49

Karndean or anti I can be brilliant and a good compromise.

angelohsodelight Sun 17-Aug-14 19:14:09

Anti I? Amtico!

crazykat Sun 17-Aug-14 19:18:28

We have laminate. It looks like a real wood floor with each piece of laminate looking like a single floor board iyswim with a beveled edge and wood grain feel. Its been down four years and still looks like new even with four young kids running round on it.

crazykat Sun 17-Aug-14 19:19:31

Meant to say it was quite expensive even though it was in offer but its been worth it.

doingitlikeaboss Sun 17-Aug-14 19:21:04

We have hardwood in our living room and dining room, put down 7 year's ago it's seen 3dds, walkies, electric cars, buggies,bikes, trikes, toys galore etc, I wear high heels alot and currently has a 10 month British bulldog running around on it and it looks good as new and is easy to keep clean, looks nicer than lino imo.

StormyLovesOdd Sun 17-Aug-14 19:32:03

I am about to take up our laminate flooring. It has been down for about 7 years and still looks good and is easy to clean but it's really cold in the winter. I've had enough so I'm having carpet fitted.

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 19:47:16

i dont want carpet with 4 kids and a hairy thing. we had laminate in the last place, it was down when i moved in and i hated it. i have no idea what karndean or amtico are. budget does not lean towards hard wood although i do love it.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 17-Aug-14 19:50:15

Karndean and amtico are expensive posh Lino

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 19:58:15

ah i see. i had a parquet effect lino in an old living room and i loved it. but dp isnt convinced

Smilesandpiles Sun 17-Aug-14 20:03:12

I've got the wood effect lino in the kitchen - it's brilliant and worth the money. It's been down for nearly 10 years now and the only marks on it are from the dents the washing machine made when the foot fell off as I was moving it.

I've got laminate in the hallway - also really good, and that was just the cheap basic range from b and q

My bedroom has solid wood flooring - it's not been down long enough to give you a proper assessment of it though.

There's not a lot of difference between them to be honest. Only of the grooves in the real wood flooring. The laminate and lino doesn't have them.

All wash well, all lasted well, all easy to clean. As for warmth, I can't comment on that for the lino or hall as there is a cellar underneath us which makes things colder than normal so it would be an unfair comparison.

HoldenMcGroin Sun 17-Aug-14 20:04:35

Engineered wood is a decent compromise if oak planking out of budget

HoldenMcGroin Sun 17-Aug-14 20:04:59

You need PigletJohn here, our hero

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 20:07:39

hmmmmm

hiddenhome Sun 17-Aug-14 20:23:03

We have engineered wood throughout the ground floor and we love it. It's so easy to keep clean and you can have a few rugs down to make it cosy.

PigletJohn Sun 17-Aug-14 20:27:25

What is the existing floor? Concrete, chipboard, or planks?

How old is the house?

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 20:36:36

living room floor is concrete with silly council tiles on. house was built in 1991

ScarlettDarling Sun 17-Aug-14 20:44:14

We had solid oak put down 2 years ago in sitting room and dining room to replace laminate and we love it. Its miles warmer than the laminate, looks beautiful and Will last forever. Even if it does get marked, it just adds to the character and any bad marks can be sanded if necessary. Its worth the investment imo.

lightningstrikes Sun 17-Aug-14 20:56:31

I would go with real wood. I purchased unfinished oak for a very good price and then treated it myself - saved myself a fortune and have a really nice floor. When I tire of the finish or the floor gets knackered from children and pets (down two years and looks great still) I can sand it and refinish for a fraction of the cost and the hassle of a new floor. Mine is also over concrete and isn't cold at all. We intend to be in the house for a long time, so flexibility was important to me.

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 21:11:11

yes i intend being here a long time as its a lovely house.

PigletJohn Sun 17-Aug-14 21:41:43

if it's concrete, be aware that the thickness of wood flooring (usually 15mm or 18mm) will raise the floor level so your doors won't open. There can also be an unsightly gap at the skirting. The doors and architrave can be taken off and a bit sawn off. For the best job, take off the skirtings before laying the floor, and fit new ones afterwards (in a period house, re-use the originals). You can use beading to hide the gap if you want a tacky, cheap-looking job.

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 21:49:32

thanks. so its looking like wood effect lino might be best then?

PigletJohn Sun 17-Aug-14 21:53:54

I do like a real hardwood floor, but to do it well is quite a lot of work.

noideawottoget Sun 17-Aug-14 21:58:38

hmmmmmm

HoldenMcGroin Sun 17-Aug-14 22:49:38

Thank you PigletJohn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now