Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Which is the best phone IYO

(98 Posts)
flyingunderpants Sun 17-Aug-14 15:01:04

Due a upgrade and can't decide between a Samsung S5 or IPhone 5c.
What do you think?
TIA

Bunbaker Sun 17-Aug-14 15:12:09

I think opinions will be polarised. You have Android fans who won't touch IOS and IOS fans who won't have anything to do with Android, so you won't get unbiased opinions.

My, biased, opinion would be the Samsung because I am familiar with their operating system. Which reviews favour the iPhone 5S and then the Samsung Galaxy Note. PC Pro favours the Galaxy S5, then the Google Nexus 5. Interestingly they rate the iPhone 4 higher than the 5S, although the iPhone 4 doesn't appear until position 8 in their list.

Generally techno geeks tend not to rate Apple products as highly because Apple are so restrictive and not compatible with anything that isn't Apple, whereas I can hook my Galaxy S2 up to anything and transfer files to any piece of equipment in the house.

flyingunderpants Sun 17-Aug-14 15:28:03

Thank you Bunbaker
I have a Samsung atm, so I'm leaning towards staying with Samsung.
Anybody else got an opinion?

Carpaccio Sun 17-Aug-14 15:55:10

I'd go for an HTC, such as the One M8. I absolutely love mine. The default camera settings aren't great, but are easily changed. I usually don't use cases or covers but this one comes with one that is decent.

My partner just got a Samsung S5 (for work), and I personally find it to feel cheap and it looks like the back and edges will get damaged quickly if not using a case. I also don't like the way the interface works - it just doesn't feel very intuitive compared to what I'm already using.

The iphone 5C is a model between the 4S and the 5S. So in my opinion, it's already an old model and the iPhone 6 is coming out in a month or two, so the 5C would quickly seem almost ancient (to me anyway).
I feel like the 5C is a budget model of a now old phone - it just doesn't seem like an upgrade.

flyingunderpants Sun 17-Aug-14 16:39:20

The thing with the HTC they want £80 upfront, for the same tariff has the other two.
I know that Samsung S6 is due out soon too. But it will most likely be too much a month for what I want to pay.

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 16:45:16

My friend has the Samsung and it is massive! Seriously huge. It's too big for my hand so from that I say the IPhone grin

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 16:45:54

Do not go for a windows phone. You will regret that. I have problems with my HTC and can't wait to upgrade

BringMeSunshine2014 Sun 17-Aug-14 16:52:01

I need to sort my phone out too - so just hitching a ride smile

I haven't decided between an android and an iphone either, but I am tempted to wait for the Iphone 6 to come out - either it will be worth the extra � or (hopefully) the Iphone 5s will be reduced?!

I need a new laptop too and I'm debating if I need a small tablet too (something like the ipad mini). My laptop is a million years old and not coping - likewise my phone.

Urgh. I hate change & I hate trying to choose/decide.

Cereal0ffender Sun 17-Aug-14 16:53:29

I have gone from samsung to iphone. It's not that difficult to switch operating system. I prefer the iphone

BringMeSunshine2014 Sun 17-Aug-14 16:53:34

ESD - is the Samsung a windows phone? What will you get next time? (or I guess, what would you get if you could replace it now?!).

BringMeSunshine2014 Sun 17-Aug-14 16:54:23

cereal can you expand on why?

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 17-Aug-14 16:56:20

DDs have just upgraded ancient phones to iPhone 5Ss because they are really light and fit teen pockets (and down bras).

DD2 has an Nexus tablet she loves, but couldn't find an android phone she liked. Most seem to be huge or cheap looking.

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 16:57:29

I'd go for the Iphone personally as the new Samsung is too big and Windows and HTC I have had nothing but trouble with.

Samsung isn't windows.

tortoisesarefab Sun 17-Aug-14 16:59:21

I recently upgraded my Samsung for an I phone and think they are well worth the money. They just work better IMO. I do have an I pad though and like the way it syncs to my phone so I may be a bit biased but it's i phone all the way for me smile

Cereal0ffender Sun 17-Aug-14 17:01:54

It is very easy to use, very fast, I love the camera. I have an ipad so photos etc sync. There really aren't any compelling reasons why I prefer the iphone I just do.
The fact you can replace the battery on a samsung is great and I miss having a spare but I don't miss it enough to switch back.

MeerkatTargaryen Sun 17-Aug-14 17:02:04

My dh has the Samsung and I agree it's huge. I can't reach it all with my short thumbs. It's nice though.

I have a Sony xperia z1 compact. I love it. And it's smaller (screen is bigger than an iPhone though) so I can use it one handed (seriously I have large hands but freaking small thumbs lol). I was so impressed I bought an xperia z2 tablet instead of upgrading my ipad.

I came from an iPhone 5. Before that I had a Samsung. I like them both but do miss some ios games so I'm going to get an ipod tough so I can still play them lol. Oh and to play spotify in the car rather than using my phone.

Btw the new iPhone is going to be announced beginning of Sept and will be released shortly after. Might be worth waiting to see what is on offer.

Flywheel Sun 17-Aug-14 17:04:09

Im on my 3rd HTC. Love them and will not go back to iPhone. To be fair, I've never owned a Samsung, but they don't really appeal.

Flywheel Sun 17-Aug-14 17:04:32

Im on my 3rd HTC. Love them and will not go back to iPhone. To be fair, I've never owned a Samsung, but they don't really appeal.

Bunbaker Sun 17-Aug-14 17:25:20

The Samsung operating system is Android, not Windows.

I agree with the poster who said avoid Windows phones. They are not in the least bit intuitive and lack loads of settings that Android phones have.

Charlieboo30 Sun 17-Aug-14 18:38:33

I have a 5c in yellow which I've had for a couple of months now. Love it! Previously had an iPhone 4. Definitely an upgrade to me and only real difference between that and 5s is faster processor and bigger camera. DP has 5s and pays £16 a month more than me.

I agree with another poster that this is very much personal preference. I wouldn't have another HTC if you paid me and the only person I know who got a Samsung got rid of it 2 months in and now has an iPhone.

As for waiting till the 6 is out, it's not going to be radically different. Slightly bigger. DP (a techno addict) reckons it'll be pricey as well.

MeerkatTargaryen Sun 17-Aug-14 18:42:00

Looks like they will be doing 2 sizes this time. Although they are merely rumours of course

Charlieboo30 Sun 17-Aug-14 18:47:32

Meerkat - yes DP says two sizes. One is going to be similar to the 5 and the other is huge!

Flywheel Sun 17-Aug-14 18:48:00

HowardTJMoon Sun 17-Aug-14 18:49:43

iPhones are great if the way you want to use it happens to match the way that Apple want you to use it. Android allows a lot more customisation but isn't always quite as polished.

The top of the line Androids do have much bigger screens than iPhones currently do but there are smaller ones available. Maybe have a look at the Motorola Moto G, for instance. Samsung's also just released the Galaxy S5 Mini but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

PortofinoRevisited Sun 17-Aug-14 18:52:27

I am Android all the way. My last 2 phones have been Sony Xperias. I like the Google synergies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now