Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

This is normal - ISN'T IT?!

(21 Posts)
DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 13:26:08

DD is 3.5 weeks old.

She is SO unsettled. She wants to be carried, held and cuddled all the time and even then she's fighting sleep and screaming. We can't put her down - she screams. I put her in the sling, she goes rigid and makes it very difficult to get in the right position. Occasionally she falls asleep. She doesn't like the pram. She doesn't like the car. She wants to feed all the time. She hates a dummy. She's on infacol. I feel like I'm ignoring DS who's 3....

This IS normal isn't it? Isn't it? I don't remember DS being this unsettled.

Any suggestions? She's FF btw and if we let her would have back to back bottles...

Pyjamaramadrama Sun 17-Aug-14 13:27:58

How many ounces of milk are you giving her?

MILLYmo0se Sun 17-Aug-14 13:40:07

I'd try a change in formula . DD had silent reflux so was like this if I tried to put her lying down and even if held upright immediately after a feed til she was approx 5 weeks, then she was ok as long she was upright and gradually she couldn't go into the swing/chair .
God it was awful, she was such a happy baby really but she was in so much pain, you could hear the stomach acid gurgling in the back of her throat, and she'd bearched back completly rigid trying to get some relief .

DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 13:57:07

Yes, I can hear her stomach gurgling and she goes rigid sometimes. She was on the ready made formula because we weren't prepared for FF (had been intending to BF) and we we were finding her too unpredictable to make up feeds in advance. We have moved to powder today but same brand (Aptamil) - do you think that will make any difference?

DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 13:57:59

Milly - do you mean she could gradually go in the bouncer? No that she couldn't!

ChocolateButtercups Sun 17-Aug-14 14:03:22

Like milly, my daughter had silent reflux too and sounds a lot like what's going on with your daughter, going rigid, not wanting put down etc. As soon as she hd infant gaviscon she was a different baby.

DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 14:09:51

Do we have to see the doctor for that or can we buy it over the counter?

Sootball Sun 17-Aug-14 14:31:55

Its now prescription only - IMHO Infacol does feck all and increases the chance of constipation.

Which in turn makes babies tummies more achy, hold your ground with the GP - ours was rubbish to start with.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 17-Aug-14 14:36:20

Enfamil do a very good anti reflux powder. Could so give that a go as well as Gaviscon

Olbas Sun 17-Aug-14 14:41:20

With Ds2 I stretched ( gently of course) his arms upwards which seemed to relieve it for him.

fiorentina Sun 17-Aug-14 14:43:56

My DS didn't get on with aptamil but was fine with Hipp Organic. Worth a try to change the brand?

You need to get infant gaviscon on prescription because the GP needs to check the baby over first for e.g. some kind of bowel blockage causing the pain.

It does sound like silent reflux to me sad

DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 14:46:36

I thought her stomach was distended so saw GP on Friday, he said no blockage just a bit bunged up. She is on 4oz every 3-4 hours. She sometimes pulls this sour face out of nowhere....would that be reflux?

crazygirluk Sun 17-Aug-14 14:51:39

My son was very like this 5 years ago so I put him on SMA Staydown formula and it worked almost immediately. It made him constipated for a week or two though.
I found using that formula was easier for me than gaviscon. It just needed to be made up with cold water not hot.

Yes, it could well be reflux. Please take her back to the GP but have a read of this first.

cardamomginger Sun 17-Aug-14 14:55:14

Don't rule out cows milk protein allergy. Often mistaken for reflux.

Agreed. DS3's reflux completely cleared up when I went on a milk free diet. DS2 had the same thing so it was one of the first things for me to try as there was a family history of it.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Aug-14 14:59:46

Try Colief.

Skivvywoman Sun 17-Aug-14 15:04:28

I agree with hiddenhome

DeadCert Sun 17-Aug-14 15:46:31

I tried colief for a week but saw no difference, at £12 a bottle I'm not keen to carry on if not making a change but thank you for the suggestions. Will take her back to the GP, thanks all for your suggestions.

custardadia Sun 17-Aug-14 15:54:32

It does sound like silent reflux - first 3 months were pretty terrible for us - we found that baby gaviscon had no effect but once she was on ranitidine was soooo much better. But could still not put her on her back. In the end I let her sleep on her tum and that helped her sleep more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now