Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much "treat food" do you buy?

(121 Posts)
DocBrown Sun 17-Aug-14 10:09:45

DP thinks I buy too much - I think it is quite conservative! All of our meals are mostly made from scratch except say a pasta sauce if there is little time. No ready meals or highly processed foods. For example last weeks

2 x packet of digestive biscuits - 62p
1 x family bar of choc - 59p
1 x tray of flapjack - £1
24 x packets of crisps £2 (on offer)
1 x tub of ice-cream - £1.70

There are some biscuits, ice cream and a few packets of crips left. Do you think this is excessive? We are a family of me, DP and ds 10 and 7.

I will show him the thread so we can "discuss" further later!

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Aug-14 10:12:10

I think the age of and DC is relevant on all of this. I have a teen and a nearly teen and am a bit nervous to list. blush

EnlightenedOwl Sun 17-Aug-14 10:13:21

Yes. I would cut the packet of biscuits to one. I wouldn't buy 24 packs of crisps either or if you do the low calorie ones. One large bar of choc between you is probably ok but I wouldn't bother about the flapjack and icecream either.

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Aug-14 10:15:08

I don't think I will list.

Ragwort Sun 17-Aug-14 10:16:19

Loads more than that (and lots just for myself that I hide grin).

Is your DH concerned about the cost or the health aspects of 'treat food'?

I can sort of understand if you have a very strict budget to keep to but generally I can't stand the attitude of 'dictating' what other people want to eat. If your DH doesn't enjoy that sort of food then fine, he doesn't have to eat it.

My DH and DS have gone off for a weekend and have bought loads of 'treat' food - and so have I as being home alone is a bit of a treat for me grin.

What about wine/beer? We buy loads of that not to mention fizzy drinks.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Aug-14 10:16:30

Don't think it's excessive , we wouldn't get through it as only have a four year old. I would buy chocolate biscuits blush

GobblersKnob Sun 17-Aug-14 10:22:13

Average week probably none, maybe some crisps, but they would be eaten as part of a meal, try not to see 'bad' foods as treats for myself or the dcs.

Olbas Sun 17-Aug-14 10:25:44

Ragwort I also hide snacks for me and ds1 blush We like...

Wotsits/crisps
Chocolate
Popcorn

The others don't know they exsist but with good reason.

redcaryellowcar Sun 17-Aug-14 10:27:16

we have a three year old, so hardly any, my view on snack food is the more you buy the more you eat, so i tend not to buy crisps unless we have friends over, although i do have a pack or two of pomp bear crisps lurking ds probably has a packet every 2-3 weeks if we have a picnic? i don't eat chocolate can't be trusted so again there area couple of packs of chocolate buttons lurking for ds to have a few buttons at a time. dh However is all about the snacks and although he does mostly at work he probably eats a bag of crisps and chocolate bar each day with a fiizzy drink as well as a sandwich for lunch.
if he does the shopping he buys multi packs of crisps and biscuits, and family size packs of chocolate e.g maltesers or minstrels or m&ms.
i don't eat chocolate because its all too easy to put on weight with him around he has an insatiable appetite and i find i am better with an all out ban rather than just moderating.

DownstairsMixUp Sun 17-Aug-14 10:30:47

I think that's ok. blush We don't tend to buy crisps much but choc we do like in our house. If we buy cakes it's just popping to Morrisons and getting some muffins or something as they go out of date quickly. I don't think that's bad at all. So long as it's eaten in moderation and not gone in two days I don't see the problem.

I don't think your list is excessive.

We usually have chocolate digestives and granola bars - also mini bags of biscuits for after swimming etc. I don't buy crisps often because I will eat them. We don't always have ice cream but I've been buying it lately. I don't think I buy loads but I could do better.

CatherineofMumbles Sun 17-Aug-14 10:34:35

I don't but biscuits or crisps - indoors we eat at meal times and those are not meal time food... The DC do have crisps and/or chocolate eg if we are out for the day, but not at home.

Too much according to DH and now I think he's right. We always have Pom Bears (yes, I know ha ha) and Wotsits as the girls (6 and 2) love them. At the moment lots of ice cream and usually Penguins etc.

However, the girls have started taking whatever they fancy from the kitchen and we're finding wrappers stuffed down the backs of things. I used to do this as a child and am now enormous so it's time to put the brakes on and stop buying it, for my sake as well as theirs.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sun 17-Aug-14 10:36:04

For 4 people for one week, that's quite a lot really. I would have said that one pack of crisps OR a couple of digestives OR a bit of chic, flapjack or ice cream is an appropriate daily amount, and it looks like you have 2-3 times that amount.

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Aug-14 10:37:05

All I will say is that my two go out on their own and have their own money so they can get their own treats regardless of what's in the house. grin

Ragwort Sun 17-Aug-14 10:37:13

I am amazed that so many of you have so much self control, perhaps all those that enjoy eating treats are avoiding this thread grin.

Of course I know that crisps, chocolate and wine are bad for me, but I still enjoy them !

Weetabixwife Sun 17-Aug-14 10:38:26

We don't buy much at all DH is a food scientist so understands all the science behind processing and he has put me off. Plus I was a dental surgery assistant so am anti sugar. The only thing we buy regularly on your list is ice cream and I have made my own before just using cream and fruit but you have to be well organised and I fail.

I think it depends on how long your treat food lasts for.

This week I have bought millionaires shortbread, mini ones from Sainsbury's.

That is treat food for a week between 3 including a teen, DH almost never eats anything apart from his main meals and I'm the same.

DH has put me off junk food as he has visited lots of food factories. You don't really want to hear that crisp flavourings are sprayed on it kind of puts you off.

I do let DS eat some junk food though as I think totally forbidden fruit is a bad idea.

MyGrannyWasCalledLilyMaeToo Sun 17-Aug-14 10:39:13

Lots here. There's no budget and we're pretty slim and healthy so not a problem.

DocBrown Sun 17-Aug-14 10:42:18

We are looking at it from a budget and health point of view. There is room in the budget for treats but am happy to cut this down if it is really way more than others buy their DC. Health wise ds7 has been to mcdonalds perhaps three times in his life and is not something we would regularly do as a family. I am always trying to improve our health and well being but also think it important to include some extras so they are not gorge themselves on it in later life.

AggressiveBunting Sun 17-Aug-14 10:42:31

That equates to each person eating 6 packs of crisps, half a packet of biscuits, 3 or 4 flapjack squares and a bar of chocolate each week. I think that's a lot. If I ate that in a week I'd feel that I had a very unhealthy week. However, massive caveat, I bump up against the 14 units of alcohol rule of thumb most weeks so I'm not judging- just my perspective.

Darksideofthemoon88 Sun 17-Aug-14 10:43:22

I think that's tons! Mind, there's only me and DP here (DD too young for food). Most weeks we don't buy any, or if we do, a bar of chocolate.

Capitola Sun 17-Aug-14 10:43:53

We never buy cakes or biscuits.

Sometimes we have Doritos & there is usually a tub of vanilla ice cream in the freezer.

Always have wine & beer available & Pepsi max, which is mine & only mine.

Mumof3xox Sun 17-Aug-14 10:48:05

I try not to buy any

Occasional packet of biscuits or crisps

Dc are 1,5 and 6

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 10:49:29

A lot more than you have mentioned. I love crisps so go through them quickly!

That isn't a lot at all but people will make you think it is to prove how great they ate while they sit and eat a massive cake grin

Ask that question in RL and you would get different answers

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Sun 17-Aug-14 10:50:00

Less than you, but I am not telling you how much I bake blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now