Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Car insurance for 84 year old

(16 Posts)
crabb Sun 17-Aug-14 09:54:24

Yes, boring topic I realise, but we could do with some help with this. Put in Chat for traffic and because I don't know where else it might go.

My FIL is 84 yo, Australian, and visits a friend in England for 3-4 months of the year. She is somewhat younger, has a car, and up until recently they shared the driving when he visited. Her insurance company (don't know who) now says they will no longer insure him due to his age. They've tried another insurer but the answer was the same.

He even thought about buying the car so he would be the registered owner, but it's still declined as he is not a resident.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies with higher age limits? He is in very good health and has a clean driving record in Australia. He doesn't want the cost of hiring a car when she has a perfectly good one, and may be excluded from hiring due to age anyway.

Sirzy Sun 17-Aug-14 09:57:36

I have to say good on that insurance company, I doubt many 84 year olds are healthy enough to be driving, if nothing else reaction time tends to wane.

Can he not plan trips using public transport instead? Or just let his friend drive?

offtoseethewizard64 Sun 17-Aug-14 09:59:03

Think my Dad was insured through E Sure until he died at the age of 86 last year. He was a permanent UK resident with a UK driving licence though.

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Aug-14 10:00:10

That seems very unfair-is there a cut off age? sad

mumblechum1 Sun 17-Aug-14 10:01:52

Try temp over.com. I use them to insure my 19 yr old ds to use my car when he's home from uni. Not cheap for a week but works out less for a couple of months.

mumblechum1 Sun 17-Aug-14 10:02:10

Tempcover sorry

goingloombandcrazy Sun 17-Aug-14 10:03:05

Sirzy How many over 80s do you know exactly? What a prejudiced response you fool.

crabb Sun 17-Aug-14 10:04:04

Of course he can let her drive. He considers it fair to share the driving, and is investigating his options. He is insured (obviously) in Australia.

goingloombandcrazy Sun 17-Aug-14 10:04:18

Op try ringing age UK for advice

Sirzy Sun 17-Aug-14 10:07:19

I know plenty. We also stopped my grandfather from driving because at his age his responses were not good enough.

Call me a fool all you like, but it won't change my view that many people over the age of 80 should not be on the road. The current system for 'renewing' licences is madness (tick and box and say your fine, what a waste of space!) and I think these insurance companies are doing the right thing (presumably based on some pretty good statistics) not encouraging it.

Sparklingbrook Sun 17-Aug-14 10:09:47

I think there are people of all ages that shouldn't be driving TBH. Not all eighty somethings are the same either.
Just all seems very sad.

foxybingodotcom Sun 17-Aug-14 10:10:48

If we decline any drivers due to age then we refer them to Biba should be able to find something there.

Ragwort Sun 17-Aug-14 10:20:14

Sirzy - I don't think you can really generalise, both my parents are over 80 and still driving much more safely than many young people. hmm. You might as well say no one under 25 should drive.

I would imagine that the main concern is probably that he is not a resident of the UK rather than his age (not entirely sure though).

Try Swinton Insurance brokers, my parents have used them for years.

crabb Sun 17-Aug-14 10:29:31

Thanks for these suggestions! Will try them. Re his health - I am 56 and he's far healthier than me. But you're right, he is unusual compared to his peers. Given we are living longer, healthier lives, I assume insurance companies will re calibrate their risk assessments at some point. Ragwort, he's been told it's only due to his age.

dorothyparka Sun 17-Aug-14 10:30:41

My dad (83) is an additional driver on my (recently renewed) policy with Natwest (he is a uk resident though, don't know if that makes a difference)

JellySnakesLadderedTights Tue 19-Aug-14 16:27:56

Google your nearest "Mobility Centre". They do driving assessments for people to ascertain whether they are safe to drive. Given a lot of their clients are elderly drivers,they should be able to point you in the right direction with regard to insurers.

There are about 16 Mobility Centres across the country, all recognised by the DVLA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now