Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What sort of things is your 7 year old allowed/able to do?

(93 Posts)
affafantoosh Sat 16-Aug-14 20:32:50

I mean like cooking, "chores", housework, independence eg crossing roads to visit friends etc.

I think my mum was super-cautious, and I'm a bit that way inclined myself, but I also grew up doing fuck all for myself and I'm keen to avoid that for my DC!

lucysmam Sat 16-Aug-14 20:43:04

Mine can;

put a quick wash on (mid-week uniform freshen up)

make a cup of tea

make a basic sponge/buns with me in the background but not doing iyswim

get a shower by herself (don't know if you want to know that but there you go grin ) & wash her hair

pour cereal & milk for herself & dd2

make toast although buttering/jam is a bit slapdash

Wash up (sharps excluded, I take knives out if she's washing up)

Play out up and down the cul-de-sac. Tbf though, it is very quiet & parents are fairly evenly spaced 3/4 doors apart so someone can always see the kids who are out.

I don't let her go to the shop alone yet but it's not far so we will possibly think about this soon ish.

She's learning to cook some basic bits too with my supervision. Tomorrow's tea is bangers & mash so she'll be helping with that.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but am sure there is more smile

OnlyWantsOne Sat 16-Aug-14 20:44:15

Mine can't turn the TV off

DaisyFlowerChain Sat 16-Aug-14 20:45:12

At 7, I still supervised DS playing out and wouldn't have allowed him to go crossing roads or be left alone.

Chore wise, he just has to clean up after himself and ensure his homework is done. We bake together but I don't expect him to cook or clean.

affafantoosh Sat 16-Aug-14 20:45:16

Right well he's not allowed to use the kettle or toaster yet and I pour the milk because I buy 6pt jugs. Time to give my money to the local milk round instead I think! That's really interesting though - I had a feeling he should be doing more. Thanks.

affafantoosh Sat 16-Aug-14 20:47:24

He can lay the table and clear it, when asked. He'll make his bed when asked. And he is getting better at tidying ... When asked! Showers and baths are also a solo affair although I keep half an eye to make sure he actually washes (concentration span of a nanosecond).

lucysmam Sat 16-Aug-14 20:47:51

I got a jug from the pound shop for milk, it has a lid & fits in the door. I only put enough for a bowl of cereal each & small beaker of milk in at a time & wash out before I replace it on an evening for the following day iyswim. Means I don't have to worry so much about litres of milk being spilt all over.

Eva50 Sat 16-Aug-14 20:48:17

Ds3 has just turned 8. He plays outside in the (quiet) cul-de-sac and in the park round the corner if there is a group of children going. He is going to walk to school alone quite soon. It's 5 minutes walk and one quietish road. He doesn't cook but "helps" me in the kitchen. I don't consider this to be a positive. He waters the garden with watering cans and the hose and does lots of fetching and carrying but no real jobs. He's pretty biddable though and will fetch drinks, biscuits, jumpers etc if asked.

lucysmam Sat 16-Aug-14 20:49:45

Kettle - fill to the lowest marker on it. I have a beeping kitchen timer set for two mins after it boils so it's cooled a bit before she lifts it & am always there just in case.

I figured she has to learn sometime so I try to hover but not do for her...it works so far.

My Dd lays table, helps clear away, helps unload dishwasher (can't reach all the cupboards), puts her own clean washing away, gets washing in off the line. Tidying a bit tricky as very easily distracted but if told to put specific items away ok.

Rowgtfc72 Sat 16-Aug-14 21:18:22

Dd can do toast and sandwiches. She can make a cup of tea if I pour the water, shower herself if I set the temperature, put the washer on, sort her own cereal,sits upstairs on the bus while I sit downstairs,pay her own bus fayre and scan the shopping in,pack it and push the trolley.I can also leave her for for fifteen minutes to nip to the shop.

FairyPenguin Sat 16-Aug-14 22:54:50

DD can shower and wash her hair by herself. Pour cereal and milk for breakfast. Make toast but only if asks me so I can keep an ear out. Pack and unpack school bag and lunch bag. Unload dishwasher.

Definitely not allowed to cross roads on her own. Has terrible road sense.

Tommy Sat 16-Aug-14 23:00:12

DS3 showers and washes his hair.....
can get himself breakfast - cereal, fruit and a drink

think that's about it - he has 2 older brothers who look out for him. I wouldn't trust him to cross roads on his own but he has come home from school with DS2 (10) without an adult.

mausmaus Sat 16-Aug-14 23:00:31

- walk to corner shop to buy ice cream
- turn on tv early saturday morning
- walk to friends house (2 quiet roads to cross, practiced a million times!)
- run bath and wash
- heat up milk in microwave
- heat up pizza in oven (supervised)
- sweep floor around dinner table each night (daily chore)
- sort socks, pair and put away own socks
- put away clean clothes into wardrobe

LizzieMint Sat 16-Aug-14 23:05:06

Interesting thread. I have an 8 year old and an almost-7 year old and tend to treat them more or less the same jobs-wise. We have been using a jobs jar this holidays so that they can do more around the house, it has things like sweep and mop kitchen floor, tidy bedroom, put washing away, put load of washing in (only under supervision!), Hoover hallway etc. they've actually quite enjoyed it, they fight over who gets to mop. They can both get their own breakfasts (toast/cereal) and make sandwiches. We sometimes cook more things together, cakes or bread mostly.
Haven't let them loose on the kettle yet. They don't walk to school alone (I also go with my 3 year old) but whizz off so far ahead they may as well do.

ValerieTheVodkaFairy Sat 16-Aug-14 23:08:48

Watching this thread with interest. Am always worried that I baby my 7 year old a bit much- she is an only child so I don't have anything to compare her to.

Mine can make toast in the toaster, and use the microwave for things like bacon or beans. We open the tins though cos our tin opener is an ancient manual one and is possessed confused and hates us all.
He can get himself a bowl of cereal, drinks, ice cream, and a sandwich.
He runs his own bath and bathes himself, with the understanding that if he isn't clean to my satisfaction when he gets out, he gets back in and I come in and "wash him like a baby" grin - he washes his own hair too, although it is very short. DD has long hair and was 10 before she could wash her own. We don't have a shower, so it takes a bit more doing to rinse it.
He goes to and from school himself (although his older brother is at the same school and I know other mums all the way along the route, so if he puts one toe out of line, I hear about it very quickly. Again, this is an earned privilege and if he misbehaves or isn't sensible, I will take and collect him and he knows it.
He plays out with friends on the field over the road, but I can see them from the landing window every five minutes and if he wants to go anywhere else (someone's house) he has to come and ask us so we know where he is.

Squtternutbaush Sun 17-Aug-14 01:08:27

Err he can moan pretty well.

I forgot how useless I was when I left home at 16, must start teaching DS the basics blush

Snapespotions Sun 17-Aug-14 01:32:33

DD is 9.

She can sort her laundry, put a load on, hang it out on the airer and put it away, but she never does so if she isn't reminded to!

She can change the sheets and duvet cover on her bed (again, only does so if asked).

She can dust.

She keeps her room pretty tidy, and sometimes helps me tidy up elsewhere.

She can load the dishwasher and she helps to unload, though she can't reach the higher cupboards.

She can scan stuff in the supermarket and pack it into bags, or if we go through the normal tills, she can pack there (with everything packed just as I like it!)

She can walk to school on her own, but usually doesn't.

She can be left alone at home for 20 minutes or so.

She can shower and wash her hair.

She can wash and cut fruit/vegetables, and she helps me cook. However, I have always been nervous about her doing anything that involves the oven, the hob or the kettle, so perhaps I'm being over-protective there. I don't think it has ever occurred to either of us that she could use the toaster. confused

She can not open the front door, as we discovered last week.

RedErik Sun 17-Aug-14 01:45:02

My 7 year old is allowed to play out on our cul-de-sac.

Chores wise she tidies up, puts dirty clothes in the wash, that sort of thing. I often have to ask her to do it and there may be a strop.

She can make a sandwich and a drink, or her own cereal in the morning. She is likely to hurt herself in some way whilst doing it though because she's clumsy.

I still wash her hair, under duress because she hates it. She still has a bath because she hates showers.

She still struggles with some of the basics...I still have to remind her to change her underwear, clean her teeth, wash, brush her hair. Every day for the last 3 years! She tries to get out of it if possible. If she wants to take her drink in the lounge it goes in a sports bottle so she can't spill it.

BramwellBrown Sun 17-Aug-14 04:11:51

Just out of interest, those 7 year olds that can make toast, can they butter it/spread jam on?

It was a discussion the other day and I was told i was being ridiculous to think most 7 year olds probably could if you aren't too fussy about sticky knives being put on the table/bits of jam being dropped.

HicDraconis Sun 17-Aug-14 05:52:38

My 7 year old can:
- make toast in the toaster and spread it with butter / jam
- boil a pan of water and make soft boiled eggs
- put poached eggs in the pan but isn's so good at taking them out again
- make himself a drink
- empty and reload the dishwasher
- make my coffee (using the pod machine and milk frother, he doesn't use the kettle yet)
- reheat beans etc in the microwave
- put pizza dough on (as in, weigh ingredients into the bread machine) and once the dough is done and rolled out, spread it with paste and toppings. He's not got the hang of the rolling pin just yet though.
- make basic sponge cake with me hovering, but I take it out of the oven
- chop up the fruit and veges for his lunchbox and make his wraps or sandwiches (though I tend to do the sammies, he's too slow in the mornings)

In terms of laundry, he can put a wash on, transfer clean clothes to the dryer, dry clothes to the basket and then sort and put them away. He can do a full laundry cycle, he just doesn't like it!

In terms of responsibilities - he has to keep his room tidy, make sure his books are ready for school each day, empty and reload dishwasher, lay and clear table, sort and put away laundry, plan/shop for (with me obviously!)/cook and serve one main meal a week of his choosing. He gets points to spend as minutes on computer games at the weekend for some of the jobs. He also gets a new book on his kindle once a week if he's been really helpful - he's currently burning through the Rick Riordan series so he's been super helpful this week smile

HicDraconis Sun 17-Aug-14 05:54:56

For comparison, my 6 year old can do all the laundry stuff, chop veges and fruit and make sandwiches and toast spread with butter / jam. He also has to sort and put away his laundry, help lay and clear the table, empty and reload the dishwasher (I put the cups and glasses into the higher cupboards that he can't reach, DS1 stands on a step).

I haven't got DS2 doing more cooking yet but it's high time I did!

HicDraconis Sun 17-Aug-14 05:56:43

Oh and they are both able to shower themselves, wash their hair, clean their teeth etc. I'd be very surprised if a 7 year old couldn't.

They can run their own bath but I insist on pottering around upstairs if they're in the bath, I like to keep an eye on them in water still.

thewalrus Sun 17-Aug-14 07:59:43

DD1, 7, spreads own toast, takes out of toaster under supervision.
Walks to friends' house 1 road away.
Has just done post box, 2 (small) roads and about 4 mins away.
Will soon do trip to local shop, tiny bit further.
Can tidy room, help with jobs a bit (doesn't do much though - I need to work on this, am the type of person who tends to do it self as quicker).
Doesn't play out alone (we live on a main road).
I wash her hair (but it is very thick - younger kids wash their own with supervision).
Her bids for independence are complicated by fact her DB/DS are just 18 months younger and struggle to balance what they can do/want to do as there's such a small gap.
Interesting to read other people's experiences too, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now