Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Embarrassing parenting near-miss: I need help ;-)

(50 Posts)

Our school went back on Wednesday (Scotland) and my DCs would not have gone if there had not been a chance remark by somebody the day before blush… I was convinced it was Monday coming - no idea why.

Now, what I would like help with is a really good family wall planner: Organised mum seems to be the industry standard, I've never had one, but it strikes me as a bit… twee?
Any other suggestions?

A PA would be nice too…. Or a 1950s wife wink

I have a calendar in the kitchen where everyone has a column! I still manage to forget stuff but not often because I positioned it right by the fridge

howdoimakehimnoticeme Sat 16-Aug-14 10:26:24

I have organised mum. It is twee and annoys me with it's tweeness but it works for us.

I tried a different one last year and it was too small in the boxes for each person each day and it just wasn't the same.

Rules are if it isn't on the wall planner, it doesn't exist. You want it to happen, put it on the calendar.

fabulousfour Sat 16-Aug-14 10:28:01

Have you got an iphone, i use my calener and wet reminders on it! Still forget stuff sometimes!

Muskey Sat 16-Aug-14 10:28:04

Can't advise on the best organiser all I have is a calendar on the wall with a large space to write stuff on. But I do know the feeling of getting days wrong. A few years ago I forgot dd had an inset day and took her to school. She was not impressed and I could hear the playground mafia sniggering behind my back for days after.

flightywoman Sat 16-Aug-14 10:30:22

I use a BusyB planner (they used to be KTwo), it is a teeny bit twee, but it works...
busyb.co.uk/

I tried using the iPhone diary, but strangely enough it does not work when I don't enter anything…. blush

I am one of these people who for decades many years have started a new diary/appointment calendar on the 1.1. and by the end of the month I don't use it any more.

I have 4 kids, a job, outside interests, a DH with a job and outside interests and it is just getting too confusing.

Too many balls in the air, some get dropped.

I am glad I am not the only one finding this challenging.

Wetthemogwai Sat 16-Aug-14 10:32:22

We had a gruffalo family planner last year and it was fab smile

howdoimakehimnoticeme Sat 16-Aug-14 10:32:22

I got DD up and sent her to school and got there and no one was there.

But worse. I had kept her off the week before because I thought that was the inset day ....

gertiegusset Sat 16-Aug-14 10:33:49

I've taken mine in on teacher training days, stood and stared at the empty playground, sighed loudly, turned round and gone home to bed.

West, I just looked at the Gruffalo one, that would be fun. How many people does it accommodate?

gertiegusset Sat 16-Aug-14 10:36:24

I took DD in once for dressing up day only to find it was the following Friday.
About turn and home for uniform.
Late for school.
Hey ho!

autumnboys Sat 16-Aug-14 10:40:15

The Oxfam family calendar has five columns and a month to view. Ours hangs in the kitchen and if it's not on the calendar, it's not happening (and the next years one usually comes out about now).

LemonBreeland Sat 16-Aug-14 10:43:06

I have a Gruffalo one this year. It is fab, but I think it's only 5 columns.

Oxfam or m&s both do family calenders.

fabulousfour Sat 16-Aug-14 10:46:23

Now pacific <stern look> you need to write things on said calender asap when you find out about them or nothings going to work.

Brittapieandchips Sat 16-Aug-14 10:46:42

I swear by dodo diaries. I keep trying new things and go back to the dodo. Loads of space for writing events, columns (that I change my mind about what goes where and scribble across loads etc, but it does help keep stuff making sense. Each week has an entire page for notes too, so I joy down addresses for appointments, notes of contacts, notes of phone calls etc. that way, when I inevitably forget stuff I thought I would remember I can look it up. It's bulky but I take it with me nearly anywhere.

Standingonlego Sat 16-Aug-14 10:48:35

we always have the national trust family one - 5 columns (we have one for FAMILY then one each for DH, me, DS1 & DS2). Lives in the tea cupboard

Oh, I've had a Dodo one a few years back - it's virtually unused blush
I think I am hopeless <dejected>

fabulous, you are SO right <hangs head in shame>
I need to grow up and become An Adult I am 48

I cannot find any M&S ones.
Off to look at Oxfam and National Trust.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 16-Aug-14 10:55:58

Ooh there's a We're Going On A Bear Hunt

TheCunnyFunt Sat 16-Aug-14 10:56:11

TheCunnyFunt Sat 16-Aug-14 10:56:29

...one.

Stupid phone.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 16-Aug-14 10:58:05

I have a peel off day today one which I place on the bookcase which I have to turn past when going upstairs. That's the only way that works for me. Not as good for an overview of the month but I found I wasn't looking at that type of calendar. Much better to remind you what needs doing that day. I tear it off the evening before after kids in bed which is usually enough time to do any prep for what is needed. I make notes like send b'day card a few days before the actual day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now