Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What ancient things to you still use even though you could buy new-but it wouldn't be the same?

(109 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 10:07:58

Just had a shower and used my towel, that I have had for years. It's starting to fray and look a bit old. I may be wrong but I think I bought it to take to hospital when I had DS2 who is 12. blush
I bought myself a new ££ one but it just wasn't the same, so went back to using manky towel.

Please say it's not just me. DH says he is going to bin it. grin

Higheredserf Sat 16-Aug-14 10:08:53

I never throw anything away until it has fallen apart as its a waste of money.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 10:10:13

I do try and do that Higher, I fear the towel doesn't have long to go. grin

IWannaHoldYourHand Sat 16-Aug-14 10:11:39

My nannas sewing box, and cake tins, pyrex dishes, and jelly molds.

IWannaHoldYourHand Sat 16-Aug-14 10:11:40

My nannas sewing box, and cake tins, pyrex dishes, and jelly molds.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 10:12:48

I have pyrex dishes that came with a house we bought in 1991 and they weren't new then.
Had to replace the jug though because you couldn't see the measurements on the side.

listsandbudgets Sat 16-Aug-14 10:20:55

A Laura Ashley dress I bought second hand when I was a student in 1995. Its a very simple classic full length purple velvet. I've no idea how old it actually is and I don't care. I still wear it a few times a year grin

Idontseeanyicegiants Sat 16-Aug-14 10:21:07

I have a sewing box that I bought from an antiques shop that must have come from a house clearance as the box was full of beautiful and obviously used sewing equipment. I kept everything and always use it with a mind to the person who owned it before me. I didn't know them but they must have been a very organised person!
DH has a radio for his workshop that is almost as old as him.

lauranorder50 Sat 16-Aug-14 10:22:19

I use my Nanna's sponge cake tins. I've got her hand operated rotary whisk too. I purchased an old glass lemon juicer and an old Pyrex dish which I use.

OublietteBravo Sat 16-Aug-14 10:28:13

I have my grandma's sewing box too, and her kitchen scales. I also got some furniture from her (because non of my siblings wanted it) - good solid 1930s stuff.

Olbas Sat 16-Aug-14 10:32:48

Wooden spoons that I've had for 20 years....no ones died yet!
Pillow at least 15 years old... so comfy
maternity top that I brought when expecting ds1.... I still wear it
Cake tins that must be over 60 years old

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 11:39:13

I feel glad that I am not the only one. I feel naughty for using the old stuff even though I have new. grin

FloatIsRechargedNow Sat 16-Aug-14 11:46:49

I use my grandma's kitchen scales too - well over 50 years old, but they're those big balance scales so I don't use them in the kitchen any more but they're great for big things. They've never let me down at an airline baggage check-in.

And a couple of old towels too - one over 25 years old and one 20 years old - both still favourites (and frayed).

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 11:50:41

I guess sometimes the new stuff isn't as good is it. I have an old towelling dressing gown. My Mum caught sight of it and bought me a new one-but it's not the same so will have to save it for best. grin

VelvetSpoon Sat 16-Aug-14 11:52:15

My ironing board was given to my mum by my nanna when she moved in with my dad before I was born, and I don't think it was new then - so must be at least 43 years old.

The bread knife I use daily is about the same age, as are some of my other cooking utensils.

I finally retired my old towels last year (cut them up and used them for painting cloths) when I realised they were a)looking a bit worn and tired, and b) 15 years old...

RandallFloyd Sat 16-Aug-14 11:52:43

I had a harsh reality check last week when I realised that if my favourite hoody was a person it could legally buy alcohol.

Not good.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 11:54:19

grin Randall that's brilliant.

Ooh ironing boards Velvet, ours is ancient and the cover needs replacing but new covers aren't quite the same......

RandallFloyd Sat 16-Aug-14 11:57:23

In my defence it's in perfect condition and very warm.

<realises that makes her sound even fecking older>

BlueThursday Sat 16-Aug-14 12:02:15

A hairbrush with the handle snapped. I just can't get my hair to blowfly the way I want it without that brush

BlueThursday Sat 16-Aug-14 12:02:33

Sorry blow dry!

weegiemum Sat 16-Aug-14 12:03:34

I have a great pair of boots I bought in 1998, dh still has the pjs he had (and were old then) when we met in 1989! (In his defence he doesn't wear them very often!). We have a new tv now in the lounge but our old one is in our bedroom and we got it as a wedding present in 1994.

Our camping gear includes the pans my dad got when he was doing his Queen's Scout badge when he was still at school.

We tend to hang on to things and don't get new stuff unless it's needed (although I did insist on a new purple kettle when we moved house 2 years ago!).

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Aug-14 12:07:20

I do find it hard to justify buying new unless the old doesn't work. If we redecorate I always feel guilty that we are replacing curtains etc for no good reason other than they don't match.

Oakmaiden Sat 16-Aug-14 12:08:50

Hah - I have a set of towels (complete with name tapes in my maiden name), which were bought for me when I went to boarding school at 11. 30 years ago. My children use them for swimming (cos, hey, they have nametapes on!)

weegiemum Sat 16-Aug-14 12:09:03

(And just thinking about it my favourite towel is one I bought when backpacking in Guatemala in 1993 when I lost the one I had brought with me! It's old, covered in hair dye stains - from when I tried to retire it before - but it's so comfy and scratchy I love it. Took a while to forgive MIL when she used fabric conditioner on it then tumble dried it shock !)

IdealistAndProudOfIt Sat 16-Aug-14 12:13:56

Why the obsession with new? If it ain't broke don't fix it. What's wrong with an 18-yr old favourite tshirt?

I have had sentimental attachments to old favourite t-shirts, shoes, my washing machine - anything I use regularly over time. They do lots of work for me and I mourn them if I have to throw them!

I also have a couple of kids books that my two have enjoyed / still enjoying that are therefore emblematic of many happy times together and so are still being stitched up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now