Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tell me something interesting about the richest person you know ...

(128 Posts)
Mintyy Fri 15-Aug-14 21:19:41

I knew someone who was a millionaire +++.

A good friend of mine married him. The wedding was catered by Leiths and held in a SW1 venue.

But an interesting thing about him, afaic, is that when we went to dinner at their lovely house in Wimbledon, he served up Heinz boil-in-the-tin syrup sponge pudding for pudding smile. I don't think this was because he was mean or anything, just that he really liked those puds!

trinity0097 Sun 17-Aug-14 14:11:15

I've of the children at my school has very wealthy parents (own helicopters etc...) however he has to earn his pocket money by selling eggs at the school gate every Friday. Parents gave him a loan for the initial start up costs which he had to repay and he is now self sufficient money wise with the business. He started at about the beginning of when he was in Year 6, so has been doing it a couple of years. No idea who he sells the eggs to out of term-time, but he has a core set of parents and staff as customers in term time.

Yoghurty Sun 17-Aug-14 13:06:33

The richest person I know is a self made millionaire- and he is tight! I guess that's how he got where he is now, but it's odd when he buys value good in the supermarket and won't ever go in on rounds in the pub and spends holidays in his camper van. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it seems strange when he can easily afford nicer things.

I'm not sure what he is saving it for but he made his money over 30 years ago!

Don't know any.
Can't say I've ever even been around someone v wealthy!

Apatite1 Sun 17-Aug-14 12:20:52

The richest person I know is a bigamist! Not very nice either. Sadly I don't know any nice rich people but I'm sure they really exist. Lucky you if you have lovely friends!

HandbagCrazy Sun 17-Aug-14 11:59:05

Richest people I know are members of DH's family. The most interesting thing about them (which i only found out whilst staying with them despite knowing them for 10 years) is that they set up, organise and run the local homeless shelter and soup kitchen. The wife made agreememnts with local businesses to gather support and collect donated food / supplies, the husband cooks hearty food for the soup kitchen and they both go twice a week, every week, to work in it. All this done on top of their ft job and is never really mentioned. They are lovely smile

NerfHerder Sun 17-Aug-14 10:46:08

"eat tinned steam puddings"

please could you explain this comment? Are tinned steam puddings a signifier of a specific class/social grouping then? (disclaimer- I have never knowingly eaten a tinned steamed pudding, nor do I know anyone that buys these!)

babybarrister Sun 17-Aug-14 08:42:10

Oscarwinning - I think that the question in your suggestion that extreme circumstances breed eccentricity is an interesting one. I am not convinced though that most of the examples on here are indeed examples of extreme circumstances but rather the opposite - people who do have lots of money who make every effort to live like the middle classes ie go to Aldi, eat tinned steam puddings etc!

Lambzig Sat 16-Aug-14 22:41:36

He makes a joke about how his 2 year old doesn't recognise him and screams when he comes in the house after a trip away. Makes it not worth the money to me.

Always looks as if he has slept in his suit. No conversational skills whatsoever and drifts through life in a fog.

OscarWinningActress Sat 16-Aug-14 22:32:36

Right, Baby. I'm going to start a thread about interesting poor people. I know lots. Extreme circumstances breed eccentricity, I think.

Rainicorn Sat 16-Aug-14 12:04:32

The richest person I know met his wife on an Internet chat site. He married her and she moved from USA to the UK. They have two beautiful daughters.

He is the most loveliest man I have ever met.

Frikadellen Sat 16-Aug-14 11:59:10

Hmm The riches person I know (as in spend time with and hang out with - not just as have met on occasion ) most interesting "thing" to me is that every year for our youngest birthday he without fail sends her a birthday card (He is her godfather - dh and he went to uni together)

I love the fact that as busy as he is managing a company and with wife and 3 children he still without fail remembers to send his Goddaughter a card. (hand written too by himself not done by anyone else)

To me it shows for him being her Godfather was a serious promise and I love that.

Am I the only one who doesn't know anyone wealthy?

Apollonia6 Sat 16-Aug-14 10:43:33

Is the tightest, meanest person you could imagine, everything has to revolve around saving money. Constantly complains about how skint they are and is happy to take things off people much, much poorer than themselves. Has pulled so many dirty tricks on friends, regarding money, and thinks it's amusing.

TedMoseby Sat 16-Aug-14 10:38:58

They enjoy lovely holidays and a jet-setting lifestyle BUT are very generous with the family and host a lot of get togethers where they cater for lots of people without batting an eyelid. They bought a single family member with SN child a house to ensure she is comfortable.

2nd richest person however wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and 3rd.... likes to talk about how much money they have, buys an Aston Martin and then serves you Iceland party food and always only enough for 50% of the people there.

babybarrister Sat 16-Aug-14 10:26:48

I think this is a really weird thread TBH - I cannot believe that anyone would start a thread with 'tell me something interesting about the poorest person you know' would they ? And if they did they would get absolutely flamed for it ....

Rich people are a mix just like poor people - no more and no less interesting

PoirotsMoustache Sat 16-Aug-14 10:23:44

Made millions by starting their own company. Made further millions by selling it. Still expect company to give them perks tho, such as tickets to local football matches and free use of the company's resources.

Hoppinggreen Sat 16-Aug-14 10:21:01

Friends pil are titled and very wealthy, friends with royalty etc and and are lovely.
I went to private school and the very wealthy people were generally very nice and you had no idea how rich they were, it was the ones with a " bit" of money that tended to be obnoxious - I visited a friend who's parents had had a huge house bUilt and had to have the whole tour, which was fine but it went " we had this floor imported, it cost £x per metre" " this bath is from Italy,it cost £x" and " the work tops are marble and cost £x"
I was about 16 and was totally uninterested!!

Trazzletoes Sat 16-Aug-14 10:13:09

One of my best friends is a millionaire. She's bloody lovely and completely down-to-earth. You'd never know. She doesn't flaunt it.

StoneFoxMama Sat 16-Aug-14 10:11:33

Whoops. They are absolutely the nicest, most generous, loving people I know, which is lucky as they are also my in-laws.

StoneFoxMama Sat 16-Aug-14 10:10:06

They are

MehsMum Sat 16-Aug-14 09:54:55

The richest man I know is getting on a bit, is incredibly sweet, and whenever he makes anyone a cup of tea or coffee is always really careful to make it exactly how they like it.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sat 16-Aug-14 09:21:51

The richest person I know is my father. He left us and the country when I was 3 and didn't pay maintenance etc to my DM.

I used to have a sort of relationship with him but now he's retired and the last I heard is travelling the US having a mid life crisis with his wife and guitar.

So sad, he hasn't met his only DGC and doesn't want anything to do with his family. He used to have properties in the US and France but not sure where he lives now.

JustALittleBitLost Sat 16-Aug-14 08:30:35

The richest people I know spend a considerable proportion of their time talking and arguing about money.

I want to change mine, the richest person I know is me, I'm skint but I'm rich in the fact that I've twins that I was told I'd have no chance of having and I've a man who would do anything for me and loves me with all his heart smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now