Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tell me something interesting about the richest person you know ...

(128 Posts)
Mintyy Fri 15-Aug-14 21:19:41

I knew someone who was a millionaire +++.

A good friend of mine married him. The wedding was catered by Leiths and held in a SW1 venue.

But an interesting thing about him, afaic, is that when we went to dinner at their lovely house in Wimbledon, he served up Heinz boil-in-the-tin syrup sponge pudding for pudding smile. I don't think this was because he was mean or anything, just that he really liked those puds!

calzone Fri 15-Aug-14 21:50:30

He has the most beautiful home in Brighton......

On the wall are photos of him with Princess Diana, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, The Beatles.....

He let us stay in his house for free.....smilesmile

hoboken Fri 15-Aug-14 21:50:53

It is a myth that rich people are automatically interesting. Some may be, some not. As is the case with poor people and all the people in between.

Ooh, AP, is your husband a chef by any chance? grin.

dashoflime Fri 15-Aug-14 22:00:29

The richest person I know is a commited environmentalist. He used to have a band and sung songs about the beutiful sight of wind tubines on the crest of a hill making his heart soar. Was sweet.

My uncle's a millionaire - started his own business and built it from nothing. He's been married to my aunt since I was a baby, but had affair after affair after affair - he's very charming and good looking. Then after decades of this my aunt had an affair and it shocked my uncle to the core. Don't think he's strayed since. grin

The first big house he bought when was first successful was in an area with old mines so he used to get it redecorated every other year for free by the coal board. He was very pleased about that.

He can be generous, when I had ds he sent me a card with a cheque for £500 and a note saying 'buy the baby a bonnet'.

But also uncaring - when my Gran, his mother, was old and ill he wasn't a very good son to her, even though she doted on him. She fell in the night, was found by carers the next day, shipped into hospital and was ruled unable to go home and live alone again (quite correctly).

My sister, who is a nurse and has worked in social care, found a very good home for her to move to but my uncle didn't like it because it wasn't posh enough. He got her moved to a much swankier home - but the care was crap and she was miserable. Fell again because the new home had en suite bathrooms - actively dangerous for a doddery and confused old lady who kept trying to go to the loo on her own in the night, instead of being properly looked after.

He didn't go and see her much, either.

Ha ha - I wish! No, we are decidedly ordinary.

MrsDavidBowie Fri 15-Aug-14 22:05:30

My BIL married a woman who had won 64 million dollars on US lottery.
They are in their fifties, no children and bored.
And sadly she now has terminal cancer.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Fri 15-Aug-14 22:07:10

They are uber rich but go to butlins for their hols!!

iklboo Fri 15-Aug-14 22:10:52

They are amongst my favourite people in the world & it's nowt to do with the money. I thought they were wonderful AGES before I found out they were minted.

BlinkAndMiss Fri 15-Aug-14 22:11:03

Don't know they're rich, have no interest in comparisons and worry about how they'll afford to pay the bills when they retire. My parents are incredibly naive when it comes to average income. Oh, and they are scared of credit cards so have none.

MrsAtticus Fri 15-Aug-14 22:11:58

they are not very happy and their (lovely) grown up kids have a variety of food related and OCD issues sad

NerfHerder Fri 15-Aug-14 22:12:10

One of the richest people I know is an utterly self-interested, big-headed windbag. His children are all delightful, though goodness knows how! He loves to claim he's 'self-made'... but I doubt he'd have got as far as he has if his parents hadn't been well-off and given him the best education money can buy hmm.

I do know someone else who is heir to vast swathes of countryside, who is the most lovely, unassuming gentleman you could meet, full of ideas, and interesting pieces of information- so well-informed, but the opposite of a know-it-all; it's a delight to spend time with him.

MuttonCadet Fri 15-Aug-14 22:13:21

He was a raging alcoholic for many years.

NerfHerder Fri 15-Aug-14 22:14:42

MrsDB- that's so tragic.

I didn't want to write about any others I know- there are some incredibly sad stories in people's lives.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 15-Aug-14 22:16:51

The richest folk I know are as fickle as fuck and although vair nice are not really nice people. These are people worth lots of £M. OTOH some other very rich folk I know are very nice, so who knows. Perhaps folk are folk no matter what their riches

leadrightfoot Fri 15-Aug-14 22:17:29

You'd never know it
I adore them
I would actively seek to spend time with them regardless of their financial state
I hope they live a long healthy and happy life with their family
If I could ever do anything to help them I would

The richest people I know work all hours to live in an expensive part of London and pay the school fees in order to ensure that their disabled child can attend a half decent special school.

kazza446 Fri 15-Aug-14 22:22:31

The richest family I know aren't at all happy with their life. Wife has regular counseling in order to find happiness and her husband works long hours in a very stressful role. Tis true money can't buy you happiness. They are however such a lovely couple, who I love spending time with. They aren't pompous just very sincere people.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 15-Aug-14 22:23:09

He grows cannabis in his back garden next to his pool and cooks a bloody lovely roast dinner.

(Singer/musican.)

listsandbudgets Fri 15-Aug-14 22:26:45

He was entirely self made. He still has his post office book from world war 2 when he made money from shooting rabbits when he was in his early teens. he says they were declared a pest and he got six pence for each tail he bought in (meat obviously eaten).

Now I don't know how much he's worth but its a LOT.. he's a major land owner and lives in the most gorgeous house

FreudiansSlipper Fri 15-Aug-14 22:27:10

3 uncles and aunties

came from very very poor backgrounds (India and Sri
Lanka)and have done amazingly well one I think one has the same interior decorator as Liberace employed they are adorable just their love of glitz is very at odds with their strong religious beliefs that they love to bang on about all are lovely but of course money has changed them not in a horrible way as their lives are so different to what they could have ever possibly dreamed it would be they have worked very hard made huge sacrifices and luckily paid off for them

madamemuddle Fri 15-Aug-14 22:29:33

He confiscated all the Christmas presents that came in from suppliers and raffled them to make it fair for all the staff. Except... He held back about four uber posh hampers from Harrods, Fortnum, etc. to take home to the family.

I came to work in January to find two of them in the store cupboard stinking of cheese and fish.

He's only worth about £500m.... and on the telly... twat....

Bakeoffcakes Fri 15-Aug-14 22:32:09

The richest person I know inherited an Estate, which includes a whole village and several properties in central london.
He went to a major public school, is very lovely and very unassuming.

His wife on the other hand is a mean, rude cow and all his friends were very sad when they married.

DogCalledRudis Fri 15-Aug-14 22:33:44

I knew a very rich lady, she had a 4 storey mansion. And she was a hoarder. She kept pieces of 70's curtains (can be used for sewing), lots very old clothes (that's vintage now), threadbare towels (grandchildren can use them after swimming), empty bottles (can be used for arts and crafts), empty cardboard boxes (can be used for something). There were rooms in her house where she did not enter for years full of rubbish, what she called resources...

CheesyBadger Fri 15-Aug-14 22:34:21

She has a Zulu shield in her living room and wears 50k on her ring finger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now