Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone got a Zafira?

(37 Posts)
Upandatem Fri 15-Aug-14 19:46:06

We're thinking about getting one, interested in pros/ cons/ alternatives etc.

We have two young DC (5 and 8) and a small dog, occasionally go camping and can just about fit everything we need into a Skoda Fabia Estate but it's a struggle and the car is nearing the end of its life so we need to look to something new.

Many thanks for any info.

TheSarcasticFringehead Fri 15-Aug-14 19:55:04

Yes. Got it secondhand three years ago and love it. Reliable, smooth and quiet to drive. Nice and roomy - a squeeze with the backseats up though and my travel sick youngest is really affected by that- but with the backseats down there is SO much space (we are also keen campers- and as DH tends to be a bit of an overpacker, we use quite a lot of space). Nice and comfortable. Not had any problems with it tbh.

Upandatem Fri 15-Aug-14 20:11:37

Thank you, ours get car sick, so ok if we stick to 5 seats?

Pixel Fri 15-Aug-14 20:15:05

Ooh interested in this as our car is on it's last legs and every time I start wondering what to get next I come back to the Zafira (we are campers too!). I've spotted one for sale that I'm tempted by. Is there plenty of legroom if you have older teenagers rather than small children?

Eebahgum Fri 15-Aug-14 20:16:53

Lots of space, huge boot. Bit lacking in basic features but not sure if that's standard - no sunroof and took me bloody ages to find the air conditioning.

Missunreasonable Fri 15-Aug-14 20:17:22

I had one it broke down after 6 weeks and several more times over two years (bought 2nd hand with 30,000 on clock). AA man said he was always getting called out to Zafiras. Worst car I even had.

weegiemum Fri 15-Aug-14 20:21:30

We're on our second Zafira, and can't imagine we'd get anything else.

Our dc are 14, 12 and 10, they sat in the middle as the boot was full from Glasgow to Cornwall return this summer. No bother.

Loads of space (all our gear for camping, or in the summer this year enough stuff for 2 week holiday, plus my wheelchair).

Can't recommend it enough!

ShadyMyLady Fri 15-Aug-14 20:21:51

Zafira is the worst car I've ever had, we got a 4 year old one. It broke down 5 times in 3 months. Then broke down for good after 4 months of owning it.

We lost £6000 on it. Have got an smax now and it's a dream.

One thing that used to annoy me with the zafira was that to get the two back seats up you had to move the whole middle row forward.

So I definitely wouldn't recommend it I'm afraid.

Balderdabble Fri 15-Aug-14 20:25:12

We like ours too. Ours is a 56 reg, Club. Got it for the huge boot for travelling with our two springer spaniels. I test drove that and the Citroen Picasso and the Zafira drove much better and felt safer. Two down sides are the huge sides of the windscreen which I find create a bit of a blind spot when turning onto a street and it also eats oil, I'm forever topping it up but I do a lot of miles. I'd definitely get another one though if I had to replace it for any reason.

PrueDent Fri 15-Aug-14 20:32:14

We have a zafira. I like it.

Moving the seats forward to put the back seats up is easy, just press a lever and roll it forward. It's only a problem if you have baby seats in as they need to be undone and re fitted each time.

The moving middle row is an advantage - you can push it forward to create even more boot space. It's helpful if you're wanting to put the kid's bikes in the back.

In addition, I'm a size 12 and can fit between the two children's seats without too much of a squash.

And the boot seats are far more comfortable than I expected, though I can only do short journeys in the boot because I suffer from travel sickness and I can't see out the front window. There are windows in the boot, but I have to look sideways to see out of them.

Lucylouby Fri 15-Aug-14 20:32:15

We've got one. We have three children and go camping a lot too. We have a roof box on it, but maybe could do without that if we only had two children, so you may be ok without.
We've had it for three years now and not had any problems with it, it's a 60 plate, so wasn't a year old when we had it.
It's a squash to put seven adults in, but we have done this with grown up friends so we could all fit in one car. I'm a childminder so regularly have the back seats up filled with children and it's fine. I have even found a double buggy that fits in with the bag seats up, so I'm really happy with it at the moment. (A phil and teds if anyone wants to know!).

Pixel Fri 15-Aug-14 20:32:21

Oh dear, my Laguna has a terrible blind spot that drives me mad, I was hoping to avoid that next time around...

Coddo Fri 15-Aug-14 20:33:33

i had one and liked it. Sized up to a picasso grand which is HUGE

PrueDent Fri 15-Aug-14 20:34:10

We have a zafira. I like it.

Moving the seats forward to put the back seats up is easy, just press a lever and roll it forward. It's only a problem if you have baby seats in as they need to be undone and re fitted each time.

The moving middle row is an advantage - you can push it forward to create even more boot space. It's helpful if you're wanting to put the kid's bikes in the back.

In addition, I'm a size 12 and can fit between the two children's seats without too much of a squash.

And the boot seats are far more comfortable than I expected, though I can only do short journeys in the boot because I suffer from travel sickness and I can't see out the front window. There are windows in the boot, but I have to look sideways to see out of them.

LL12 Fri 15-Aug-14 20:35:47

I would never ever get another Zafiria, Now have a Toyota Verso and the difference in quality in amazing

Lizardc Fri 15-Aug-14 20:39:30

We have one which we bought three hears ago, when it was three years old. It has been in and out of the garage constantly with one problem or another. Putting up the back seats is a pain with children's car seats in - as someone else said you have to take them out each time. Boot space is huge with 5 seats, but tiny with 7.

We may get another car soonish but won't get another Zafira.

BackforGood Fri 15-Aug-14 20:43:09

We're on our 3rd one. Love them. So versatile. Also roomy, without feeling like you are driving a minibus/van.
NEver had any mechanical problems.

Ichneesanshee Fri 15-Aug-14 20:44:26

We had a zafira, it was great while it worked! We used to go camping with three kids and all the gear, although it was easier with a roof box.

RainbowTeapot Fri 15-Aug-14 20:46:34

We love ours (its an older one). We camp too - maybe its a car for campers....!!!

No problems with it, secondhand to us but lasted several years and no real outlay. Ours is gas if that makes a difference.

Ours has a sunroof and air con so there must be different versions!

RainbowTeapot Fri 15-Aug-14 20:47:13

We'd certainly get another Zafira if we ever part with the one we have.

17leftfeet Fri 15-Aug-14 20:53:13

I had one and in terms of space they are great however...

Turning circle of a tank
Massive blind spots
Air conditioner condenser mounted under the car leaving them prone to damage and expensive to repair
Spare wheel stored under the car -they get stolen!

When something goes wrong it really goes wrong

My rear brakes seized on -a common fault apparently

If the exhaust goes the whole unit including fly wheel needs changing which is expensive in both parts and labour

Gear box issues are reasonably common at relatively low mileage

If you are the sort of person that changes their car every 3 years then get one, if you tend to keep cars until they are on their last legs -avoid!

Coddo Fri 15-Aug-14 20:54:08

oh everything broke on mine. Air con, windows etc
it did get a reet hammering tho

Totallyfidobono Fri 15-Aug-14 21:09:41

We were so happy to get rid of our Zafira a few months ago. The starter constantly played up; it was in and out of garage. As soon as we could afford it we got a Dacia Sandero.

MegBusset Fri 15-Aug-14 21:16:47

We've had ours six years (it was three years I'd when we got it) and only had two things go wrong in that time - windscreen wipers needed replacing and battery reached the end of its natural life. Aside from that it's been totally reliable. We're campers too although we do use a top box.

The only down side I would say is, ours is very uneconomical with fuel. But it is an automatic so that might be part of the reason.

Upandatem Fri 15-Aug-14 21:40:59

Thank you, we would prob get a 2014 one and keep it forever. We're partially persuaded by having had a Corsa that latest for 17 years with no bother. We don't do a lot of miles, might get a diesel.

Our 2003 Skoda Fabia has no bells and whistles at all and I still think it's fine. We would like heated windscreens and all that though. Wonder what else we should think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now