Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My friend broke my pram WWYD

(13 Posts)
eltsihT Fri 15-Aug-14 18:50:43

I leant my pram (3 and a half years old and well used) to a friend to use while away. I have used it with both my boys and was toying with the idea of stopping using it so, it seamed perfect to let her use it and see how I managed without it.

While she was out using it, with her 5 week old in it the centre bar across the bottom broke at the weld. (It's an uppababy vista incase you are interested)

I am feel really mortified that it broke for her and with a new baby in it. She has arranged to have the weld fixed and is paying for it. (I did offer to pay as I think it could have easily happened to me).

I am not sure what to do when she returns it to me, should I give her some flowers as a sorry my pram broke? Should I just leave it? I really have no idea how to react.

An advice appreciated?

It's nice of you to be concerned; I thought you were going to ask whether she should pay for a replacement!

Maybe buy her chocolate or a bottle of wine? You can say she probably needs it for the shock grin. I don't think you need to do anything, so I'm sure she'd appreciate the sentiment.

gamerchick Fri 15-Aug-14 18:54:18

It just 'broke'? Personally I would just let her fix it with an thankyou as the cynic in me would be wondering if there was more to it breaking than she was letting on.

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 15-Aug-14 18:59:06

I would say do nothing. If she had paid you for the pram that might be different, but even then she would have known it had been used for 2 children already and potentially had some wear and tear after 3 years! I would have offered to pay for the repair as you did, but equally if I was your friend, I would be mortified that something had broken while on loan to me and had no problem paying for the repairs myself.

lettertoherms Fri 15-Aug-14 18:59:41

In your friend's shoes, I think I would be embarrassed if you did something extra for me after your pram had broken while I was using it; I would feel completely responsible, as it sounds like she does, since she's having it repaired at her cost. Just say you're sorry it broke, and thank her for fixing it.

OHforDUCKScake Fri 15-Aug-14 19:16:03

What gamerchick said. Im wondering what it was she did to it....

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-14 19:17:59

I'd let her keep it.

eltsihT Fri 15-Aug-14 19:22:56

She said she just bumped it up a kerb and it started to go, and by the time she had turned round and got home it had gone completely.

I have no reason not to believe her, to be fair I have taken it up mountain paths and over all sorts of different terrain, it's been used pretty much every day for 3 and a half years, and for 1 of those with the rumble seat, I am not sure if she was using the rumble seat or not. She has taken photos of the break and it is just the weld that has gone, I plan on taking it up with uppababy but am not holding my breath as it's well out of warrantee.

lettertoherms Fri 15-Aug-14 19:36:44

That's pretty bad, for the weld to go - it means it's was likely never properly bonded in the first place, so has always been faulty. A good weld should leave it virtually as one piece of metal. I think it's worth taking up, show them the pictures - the problem would have existed within the warranty.

lettertoherms Fri 15-Aug-14 19:37:36

Ignore the poor grammar there, not sure what happened in that post. hmm

FoodSchmood Fri 15-Aug-14 19:41:22

As an aside, this happened to my uppababy vista, outside of warranty, and they replaced the frame free of charge as it was a manufacturing fault, not user error, so if your friend hasn't already arranged the welding, then it might be worth emailing customer support!

eltsihT Fri 15-Aug-14 19:45:05

Ooh good point lettertoherms my dh works with welds so I might get him to help phrase my email to uppababy.

I am mostly annoyed it broke while I wasn't using it, And for the hassle it has caused my friend. Think that will go in the email to.

You are all right that I should just apologise to her for the hassle it's caused her, I think we will both be embarrassed that it happened at all.

I am not sure letting her keep it will help, she had borrowed it as it could be used as a double or a single, and I was planning on selling the rumble seat and infant snug on, as well as the foot muff. I suppose I could ask her if she is interested but I suspect as it has already broken she won't trust it, I certainly won't.

eltsihT Fri 15-Aug-14 19:46:53

That's good news foodSchmood, will be emailing later tonight so will see what comes of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now