Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Interview disasters

(124 Posts)
Fuckalella Fri 15-Aug-14 13:21:37

I have just got back from an interview for a PhD studentship that was a complete disaster! Feeling a bit annoyed with myself as I know I could have done better; just went to pieces a bit and struggled to answer the technical questions so I ended up looking like I didn't have a clue blush

Please help to cheer me up - regale me with your tales of interview disasters!

AbsolutelyCrushed Fri 15-Aug-14 13:23:24

I had one last night.

They were really keen to meet me, arranged interview for same day, stayed late to see me.

I arrived absolutely soaking, and I think I gave off control freak vibes, although I'm anything but.

They ended it saying that they'd let me know next week.

Utterly gutted today. They seemed lovely and a great fit.

Trying to find my "onwards and upwards" spirit!

Crushed - I had an interview 2 weeks ago and turned up POURING with sweat. It looked like I had just got out of the shower. I looked VILE

Felt pretty unimpressed with myself - but got the job!

AbsolutelyCrushed Fri 15-Aug-14 13:28:27

Well done, Greyhound!

The rain held off until I needed to leave, and then poured it down. I had no coat or umbrella and a 90 minute walk, so by the time I got there, I was utterly drowned. He kept offering me towels and kitchen roll.

I hope that I answered the questions well, but he said there was a lot of applications, which made me think that he was setting me up to be let down.

The role is technically a step-down from what I'm doing now, so I guess it'll depend if they were convinced by my passion!

If anyone wants to cross their fingers for me, it'd be v. appreciated smile

My fingers are crossed for you! brew

Fuckalella Fri 15-Aug-14 13:35:27

That's great greyhound!

Crushed, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. At least they said they'd let you know, I was practically shoved out of the door with a "thanks..." I think they were glad to see the back of me!

thatsalovelyhat Fri 15-Aug-14 13:47:31

Where to start? So, so many terrible interviews to draw upon.

Interviewer's first question: 'Why do you want to be a (insert profession here)?'

Me: 'Er ......... flannel flannel flannel ........... '

I didn't think 'because I'm bored doing what I'm doing and this is going to be much more fun' would go down well. In retrospect it couldn't have been any worse.

No, I didn't get the job. But I did knock up a reasonable answer to this ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE question and practise saying it out loud with a straight face. And eventually it paid off.

Good luck everyone with interviews (shudder).

Thanks Fuckalella! smile

Fuckalella Fri 15-Aug-14 19:11:59

Seems I wasn't just imagining how bad it was (I was hoping!) - have just received the rejection email confused

On the positive side, it was only the first interview and at least I now have a better idea of what to expect. Onwards and upwards!

DogCalledRudis Fri 15-Aug-14 19:20:41

It happened when i was still at uni -- so i go to this company, make a complete incompetent fool of myself, then leave the room to see that... The zip of my trousers was widely open.

Rockethorse Fri 15-Aug-14 19:27:35

I went for an interview for a job I really wanted. Two females 1 male on the panel. I knew it wasn't going well when the 2 females were giving me quite icy looks and the male refused to even look at me. Only when I got up to leave the room did I notice that the 2 buttons across my chest on my blouse had burst open. I was scundered didn't get the job

NapoleonsNose Fri 15-Aug-14 19:39:12

Many years ago, when I was about 19 and not wise in the whole interview thing, I went for one as an admin/sales clerk at a local steel stockholders. I had absolutely no idea what a steel stockholder was and didn't bother to find out. Got my father to take me to the interview and wait outside as I thought I'd only be in there half an hour or so.

Two hours, a psychometric test, an aptitude test and an hour long panel interview later I eventually emerged after having the most awful interview experience ever. The one question that sticks out in my mind for my truly crap answer was, "Tell us something you've done that you have been really proud of". After umming and thinking for ages, I eventually told them all about a cross stitch project I'd recently completed. They looked decidedly unimpressed by my answer funnily enough! When they asked me about steel stockholding there was a very long silence as I had absolutely no idea what it was. Couldn't wait to get out after that.

I didn't get the job, which with hindsight was probably a blessing as I found out that steel stockholding was not remotely interesting and the pay was only £3.5K a year which even in the early 90s was pretty shit.

Oh bugger sad I had a shocking interview through an agency a few years ago who gave me the entirely wrong brief (said they wanted someone looking to progress when the company really wanted someone to stick with the role for a few years etc). It was painful and the phone was ringing by the time I got home with the rejection. I suspect the recruitment consultant got a bollocking too.

ImperialBlether Fri 15-Aug-14 20:51:17

I will win the prize on this one.

I went to sleep in an interview.

MoreYellowBirds Fri 15-Aug-14 21:07:07

I got knocked down in the street by a car on the way to an interview once. To this day I don't know why I didn't tell them what had happened. I wasn't badly hurt so I got cleaned up in the loos as best I could and went in and got on with it. I must have been full of adrenalin and in shock though because I talked absolute nonsense to the interviewer the whole time telling him he really must read this book and that book and making him write it all down! He must have thought I was on drugs or something!

kernowgal Fri 15-Aug-14 22:13:46

At a recent one they asked me why I wanted the job and I didn't have an answer prepared. To be honest by that point I'd decided I didn't want the job, but I still made myself look stupid, waffling on about chuff all.

Not my finest moment.

cecinestpasunepipe Fri 15-Aug-14 22:22:39

On leaving the building in which I was interviewed, I took a wrong turning and pushed open an alarmed fire door. It was a large branch of Tesco which was immediately evacuated as the siren went off. How I ran. And no, I didn't get the job.sad

HippityHoppityLaLaLa Fri 15-Aug-14 22:26:08

Imperial - I need to know: which side of the table were you on?

JoyceDivision Fri 15-Aug-14 22:33:58

Our department was closing and I had got an interview in another area t work. As I, along with everyone else in out existing department, had been interviewed for the few posts that were being maintained and transferred to another area, and not passed by only one point(!!!!) I was beyond caring about theinterview I had got lined up, my head was full of 'I'm on my way out' thoughts..

So, interview happened, and at the end I was asked to sum myselfup in three words.

I had never met the two people in the room before, both managers. My answer was 'Three stone overweight'.

blush

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 15-Aug-14 23:16:09

My worst was deliberate. During the technical assessment, the assessor kept remarking on everything I was doing with the remark "we'll soon thrash that out of you". Then he swore at anothr employee in front of me.

The panel consisted of two gonks and their leashholder from HR. They wibbled about teamwork "what, you've managed to cure your mob of backstabbing?". How could I add value to the business? "Eh? We're an overhead. Keep it down by not smashing stuff I suppose". Was I eager to get started? "Anything to get away from the ironing".

Didn't get it of course. Much later, a friend who was further up the totem pole found out I'd failed interview and asked me why. This was after I went in as a temp.

The gonks were given a bollocking for not spotting the pisstake and the assessor refuses to be in the same room as me. Tee hee.

MoreYelloBirds you aren't my SIL's exbf are you? The same thing happened to him [curious]

QOD Fri 15-Aug-14 23:20:23

I walked up the long entrance approach to the building, the doors opened and 690 staff raced out ... Fire drill.

I went home.

I did go back for a second interview and got the job .... The best job ever infact!

sallysparrow157 Fri 15-Aug-14 23:48:36

One of my uni interviews (so bear in mind I was 17 and had never really been through formal interviews before) - bloke on the panel says 'oh, I see on your personal statement that you enjoy walking the mountains of snowdonia. A close friend of mine died in a fall on a mountain in snowdonia'. What the fuck do you say to that?! Think I mumbled something about being sorry for his loss and yes it can be risky.

Job interview, decided at 4pm the day before that I hated my interview suit. Go to Marks and Sparks, find decent suit that fits well, think I don't have a top that co ordinates so just pick a decent looking one off the shelf without trying it on. O the day realise it is a cross over style, I have big boobs, it is incredibly revealing. Spend whole interview (and it was a complex process with 3 separate panels) pulling it up so my boobs aren't exposed

Proper life changing I don't have a plan b, I need this job interview, questions are timed, 10 min precisely per question. One question - 'what do you do, outside work, unrelated to your job that enhances your ability to do your job?' Verbal diarrhoea, I have no idea what I came out with, just that the woman was looking at me like I'd grown an extra head and I was watching the clock tick down the seconds knowing this would end soon and they'd ask me a technichal question that I could actually answer

I still cringe when I think of all of these. I still got the uni place and both jobs (I do wonder if my current career is entirely due to the fact I have good boobs but still!) so however awful it felt it probably wasn't that bad! Onwards and upwards indeed xx

Bilberry Sat 16-Aug-14 00:06:40

Not interview, but on my first day in one job I turned up to find no one there - they had moved to another building three miles away and didn't think to let me know.

Also had various cringe moments waffling in response to a question I knew nothing about.

DoNotDenyMe Sat 16-Aug-14 00:10:53

Had lots where I said the wrong things!
Most memorable though will have been the one where as I was being shown out of the building and as we were walking down the stairs, my heel got caught in the turn up of my trouser leg. I tripped, fell half way down the stairs and literally landed on the interviewer!!!!! Mortified!!!!
Didn't get the job shock
I do remember DM calling that afternoon and being in fits of laughter when I had to tell her what happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now