Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

To the woman who talked throughout the entire performance of Swan Lake last night

(28 Posts)
cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:11:15

I never managed to identify who you were, but you are a rude, inconsiderate, philistine and come the revolution you and your vile kind will be the first up against the wall.

In case you are wondering whether it was you, I'll give you a few more details. Swan Lake, Mariinsky at the Royal Opera House. You must have been in the amphitheatre nearish to the front. Just thank your lucky stars I didn't identify you, because come the second interval, having listened to you for 2 whole acts, I would have defenestrated you.

AuntieStella Fri 15-Aug-14 11:15:53

Defenestration is a great word, and would be a suitable penalty (in any other building).

I'm surprised no one closer to her didn't tell her to be quiet, I'd be seething.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 15-Aug-14 11:16:58

Bloody hell, cardamomginger, those seats ain't cheap! I bet you weren't the only one who wanted to defenestrate her.

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:17:24

I mean, why????

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:18:34

It's the flipping Mariinsky?!??!! How much of an arse do you have to be to do this??

DoAndroidsDream Fri 15-Aug-14 11:19:32

All forms of entertainment, cinema, ballet, opera, should have one talkie show a week. All the people who talk can go at the same time and annoy each other. Talking at any other show is punishable by death.

Excuse my ignorance, Marinsky? confused

KatyMac Fri 15-Aug-14 11:19:59

Oh I'm waiting to hear about a raffle prize which is 2 tickets on Saturday; was it wonderful?

KatyMac Fri 15-Aug-14 11:20:56

If she was constantly talking, why didn't you mention it to an usher during the interval so that something could have been done about it?

Have to say I am very surprised that no one near her remonstrated with her.

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:26:19

Stillstaying, each summer the Royal Opera House hosts either the Bolshoi Ballet or Mariinsky Ballet (formerly Kirov). It is a phenomenal opportunity to see some world class dancers, and productions that you don't necessarily get to see in the UK without the faff of having to go to Russia. They are here for 3 weeks. Performances sold out. Why the hell would you talk??

Katy, yes, it was beautiful!! What's showing Sat night? The Swan Lake was gorgeous - I preferred it to the Royal Ballet production. Really hope you win!!

Great idea, doandroids. The seats could be wired up, so instant death the moment there was any disturbance from the occupant.

Thanks Katie smile, I imagine it's a beautiful performance.

Marcipex Fri 15-Aug-14 11:33:22

YABU for not murdering her on the spot.

MorrisZapp Fri 15-Aug-14 11:36:32

I would have had to seek her out.

Oh GOD I would have done my death stare within a minute and if that hadn't psychologically kneecapped her, would have said something, and then used actual violence.

Surprised there wasn't more passive aggressive tutting. That's a Covent Garden speciality.

I was floored though a few weeks ago when a woman was using a very clickety clack wooden fan (it was sweltering) and when I asked her politely in the interval to stop for the next act she said 'no'!!! SHE WAS WEARING AN EFFIN' CARDIGAN!!!

KatyMac Fri 15-Aug-14 11:38:11

Cinderella, I'm kind of mixed feelings

I'm fitting our new kitchen tomorrow so I won't be able to go; but DD will love it & I'm sure I'll find a volunteer to go with her!

RiverTam Fri 15-Aug-14 11:40:46

why didn't you ask her to shut the fuck up be quiet?

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:42:42

If I'd managed to narrow it down to a more precise location, I would have spoken to an usher. I can't believe someone next to her didn't shut her up (by whatever means necessary).

I wondered about the Cinderella. Ratmansky is fab, and I'm sure it will be an amazing performance. Fingers crossed!!

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 11:44:04

River - I don't know who she was or where she was sitting. I will quite happily tell people to be quiet, sit back, whatever. No PA from me!

RiverTam Fri 15-Aug-14 11:50:10

sorry, being dim blush. God, she must have been loud! Well, why on earth didn't anyone sitting near here say anything, what's the matter with people!!!!

Elswyth Fri 15-Aug-14 12:00:19

I love Mariinsky (though I've only seen live screenings).

I'm surprised nobody told her off. I've seen mutiny in ROH (especially in the best seating areas where people have paid a lot for their tickets) over sweet wrapper rustlers. I've also personally told people off for talking throughout performances, twice over the years. It's shockingly bad manners.

Thumbwitch Fri 15-Aug-14 12:06:09

God some people are so mannerless! It's bad enough when they have rustly sweet papers, but yakking through it - argh!

I was lucky enough to go to a ballet in the Bolshoi theatre in Moscow with my Dad once, and there were 2 giggling student types in the row behind us. Come the interval, my Dad stood up, turned round and berated them soundly for having ruined the first half of the show and suggested strongly that they pack it in for the second half (in Russian, he's fluent). That sorted them. Mannerless oiks.

cardamomginger Fri 15-Aug-14 12:15:18

Well done thumb's dad! I trust they were shipped off to the Gulag?

dancestomyowntune Fri 15-Aug-14 12:18:52

what a shame for you! when dd1 was four we took her to watch her first ballet (sleeping beauty, think it was the English National Ballet), we have never let her forget that she sat beautifully entranced through the whole thing, until about halfway through the second act when she said, very loudly, "they arent that good, my spring points are better!" the lovely lady sat in front of us laughed so hard she nearly choked and i went puce with embarrassment! sad

she has since learnt to keep.her opinions to herself until the performance has finished grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now